Power Strips Confisgated - Veendam, San Diego March 9

lindberg

My question is, if it was spring break, why did your daughter have to do school work? My son has never had school work over spring break. IMO I think it was a matter of she could not get on facebook or Instagram. Again, JMO. Kids have a hard time letting go of their social media these day. Pretty sad. And if my son ever told me he would never sail HAL again, I would say "OK, then you can stay with your grandparents while I enjoy my vacation on a wonderful ship"

Making assumptions about people you don't know a thing about is rude and ridiculous. Possibly this is a high school or college girl who had a term paper to do and her plan was to get it done over her spring break when she could give it her full attention. I remember doing that when I was in college. Maybe she was studying for entrance exams into Harvard Med School. Who knows. We know nothing about her. Your son's academic requirements have absolutely nothing to do with why this girl needed her computer on her cruise, but to assume she only wanted to stay in touch with friends through social media is insulting .

According to the reviews (amazon) there is conflicting information as to whether this unit works over 220v and may be a problem overseas. (Not a problem on cruise ships though).

I used the Monster with an adaptor (not converter) for 2 weeks in London and 9 weeks in Paris (both 220 volts +/-) this fall with no problems.

I take a Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports, 5 Charging Outlets Total (1 AMP / 5 Watt) that I bought on Amazon. It is around $17. Works great!

That's what I bring and it's never been confiscated.

My question is, if it was spring break, why did your daughter have to do school work? My son has never had school work over spring break. IMO I think it was a matter of she could not get on facebook or Instagram. Again, JMO. Kids have a hard time letting go of their social media these day. Pretty sad. And if my son ever told me he would never sail HAL again, I would say "OK, then you can stay with your grandparents while I enjoy my vacation on a wonderful ship"

These are assumptions on your part. Over the years, our children had many assignments that needed to be completed during school breaks whether we were traveling or not.

Making assumptions about people you don't know a thing about is rude and ridiculous. Possibly this is a high school or college girl who had a term paper to do and her plan was to get it done over her spring break when she could give it her full attention. I remember doing that when I was in college. Maybe she was studying for entrance exams into Harvard Med School. Who knows. We know nothing about her. Your son's academic requirements have absolutely nothing to do with why this girl needed her computer on her cruise, but to assume she only wanted to stay in touch with friends through social media is insulting .

Agree partly, though if it truly was that, isn't there a "computer lab" of sorts on board? Work could most certainly be done there.

I suspect she would have felt her cruise was just as "ruined" if she HAD been allowed to endanger everyone on board with her surge protector and had to deal with the reportedly slow and not always there wifi connections.

I can have fun without electrical power...but i can have a lot more fun with power. We will have 2 iphones, 2 ipads, a laptop, gps unit, 2 flashlights, 2 cameras, camera flash, stabilized binoculars, batter charger for stuff that needs batteries, electric toothbrush, electric razor, blue tooth earphones, travel speakers...... None of this is work related as we are retired. These all provide fun or utility for us.

I dont need to be a luddite to enjoy a cruise. So extension cords or nonsurge bars Will be packed!

I can have fun without electrical power...but i can have a lot more fun with power. We will have 2 iphones, 2 ipads, a laptop, gps unit, 2 flashlights, 2 cameras, camera flash, stabilized binoculars, batter charger for stuff that needs batteries, electric toothbrush, electric razor, blue tooth earphones, travel speakers...... None of this is work related as we are retired. These all provide fun or utility for us.

I dont need to be a luddite to enjoy a cruise. So extension cords or nonsurge bars Will be packed!

Why a GPS unit? Honestly trying to understand this one when you're on a CRUISE where you're in no way doing the driving.

Why a GPS unit? Honestly trying to understand this one when you're on a CRUISE where you're in no way doing the driving.
:confused: How do you know they aren't driving? People do rent cars in ports. Our GPS also helps with using public transport and when walking.

:confused: How do you know they aren't driving? People do rent cars in ports. Our GPS also helps with using public transport and when walking.

Oh, ok. I would never rent a car in a foreign country, so I didn't think about that. And as for walking, IF I'm going somewhere that's not a ship excursion, I'll print out a map ahead of time - seems a lot easier than having to wait for a GPS thing to get a signal (being a runner, I know how long that takes - especially when not near your "home base").

I am enjoying reading everyone's "pronouncements" on what is the correct level of computer/phone usage on a cruise -- which suspiciously always seem to correlate with their own preferred level of usage, regardless of how someone else's circumstances may differ....

Also, does no one remember what it is like to be a teenager (or live with one)? everything is a drama -- it is all either the absolutely best thing EVER, or the whole deal was absolutely ruined.

I don't think that's changed very much over the years. Even in the "personal technology free" 1970s, I remember my high-school age sister being VERY unhappy that we would spend most school vacations with my grandparents in Florida, when SHE wanted to be with her friends at home. I'm sure if someone had asked her at the time, she would've said her vacation was completely ruined.

Perhaps we should be thankful that personal technology now allows our kids to stay in touch with their friends on vacation, enabling us all to have a better (less drama filled) time. :D

Because it is fun knowing where you are. You get to see where the ship really goes, what those islands you see on the horizon are, etc..

Or perhaps you use it while hiking on shore. To find points of interest. Not all GPS units are the "stick it on the windshield and obey the monotone voice" variety.

Edited by K&RCurt

Oh, ok. I would never rent a car in a foreign country, so I didn't think about that. And as for walking, IF I'm going somewhere that's not a ship excursion, I'll print out a map ahead of time - seems a lot easier than having to wait for a GPS thing to get a signal (being a runner, I know how long that takes - especially when not near your "home base").
We've never had any time difference acquiring a signal away from "home base". I guess there are different qualities of GPS devices. Some here also enjoy geocaching. That uses GPS, not maps. :rolleyes:

I sooooooooooo agree. I just can't understand how people can't go without their beloved cell phone for 2 seconds. It's really quite pathetic. Really tired of people posting selfies on Facebook too. A persons cell phone s/b confiscated for that alone.

Quoting for truth about folks not being able to be unplugged. It is astounding how shallow and self absorbed people are/can be.

... and proving what I just said...

Now before you go tossing the baby out with the bath water with the selfies, I am RIPPED right now with plenty of striations all about so a selfiie or two is always taken after a workout to highlight where improvements have been made and where more need to be made.

Those pics are only shared amongst workout partners and not the public on FB though as far too many people share too much there... and I don't need a line at my door! ;):D:o

Derek

I was wrong... I will have 2 gps units!! One is for our car rental in Ankorage and Victoria.... Maybe other ports. and the other is a hand held for geocaching at the different ports.

Calling me rude is rude! If you will read my post carefully, you will see that it was a question. Plus I said it was my opinion. The OP has yet to answer me. And I suspect won't. And if she does, she will probably take your lead and say it was a term paper due. In my 46 years of life (grade school, middle school, high school, college, graduate school) I have never been assigned anything over spring break. But I also know, my 17 year old son thinks it the end of the world when he can not have his phone.

Again, this was my opinion. No need in calling me rude and saying I'm assuming. You know what assuming does right?

In 2008 on the Volendam, we had a dinner table by the aft windows on the far side. (VERY nice location!) Every night, a fellow from the interior of the dining room would come over and stand by the window with his GPS and take a reading. I asked him why at the time, but I can't remember the answer! But he enjoyed it. And we talked to him every night.

Robin

Calling me rude is rude! If you will read my post carefully, you will see that it was a question. Plus I said it was my opinion. The OP has yet to answer me. And I suspect won't. And if she does, she will probably take your lead and say it was a term paper due. In my 46 years of life (grade school, middle school, high school, college, graduate school) I have never been assigned anything over spring break. But I also know, my 17 year old son thinks it the end of the world when he can not have his phone.

Again, this was my opinion. No need in calling me rude and saying I'm assuming. You know what assuming does right?

Daughter is 23, a senior in university, a six year National Guard vetran who served 1 year in Afghanistan, and if fact she had a paper to write and a midterm the week after the cruise to study for, and math problem sets, as well as applying / interviewing for physical therapy graduate school. She didn't need her computer for accessing social media.

Not being able to complete the work early in the cruise and knowing it still had to be completed, definitely made her cruise less enjoyable.

For purposes of total disclosure, I did not read the entire KBYG document. I was mostly focused on not breaking any of the wine related rules. If I had read it, discovered power strips with surge protectors were not allowed and not brought the power strips, the result would still have been the same.

I plan of getting a Monster strip for my next cruise. I appreciate the tip!

I don't enjoy posting anything on Cruise Critic and rarely do it anymore. If it is not totally positive, the 'Cruise Critics' become critical. This was just meant as a cautionary post for those that need power strips. Lesson learned - bring your own approved power outlets and don't count on HAL to provide one.

It could be that Veendam ran out of budget for buying power cords.

They had to spend the budget on buying so many fans for those cabins/areas that have faulty on no AC on an amazing regularity.

That is funny! I hate to say anything else negative about HAL ships, but our cabin was very hot. We had an outside cabin and ended up cruising with the shades closed most of the time to keep the cabin from getting any hotter. After the lack of response on the HAL power cord, I just didn't want to bother telling them about the cabin temperature.

Oh by the way you aren't allowed to brings fans either. I saw when I went to claim my luggage and hand over the confiscated power cord that they also were confiscating fans from people's luggage too. :eek:

I wonder how many power strips each HAL will have to invest in. If they are going to confiscate all of those that pax want to bring on, including those with surge protectors, they darn well better have plenty for all the pax that will request one. Most pax bring on a number of technology products that need to be charged. If HAL is going to say you have to use only the strips they provide, they darn well better be able to provide them.

Daughter is 23, a senior in university, a six year National Guard vetran who served 1 year in Afghanistan, and if fact she had a paper to write and a midterm the week after the cruise to study for, and math problem sets, as well as applying / interviewing for physical therapy graduate school. She didn't need her computer for accessing social media.

Not being able to complete the work early in the cruise and knowing it still had to be completed, definitely made her cruise less enjoyable.

For purposes of total disclosure, I did not read the entire KBYG document. I was mostly focused on not breaking any of the wine related rules. If I had read it, discovered power strips with surge protectors were not allowed and not brought the power strips, the result would still have been the same.

I don't enjoy posting anything on Cruise Critic and rarely do it anymore. If it is not totally positive, the 'Cruise Critics' become critical. This was just meant as a cautionary post for those that need power strips. Lesson learned - bring your own approved power outlets and don't count on HAL to provide one.

Thanks for your explanation & apologize for thinking otherwise.. I do understand as I had papers to complete when I was on vacation many many years ago..

Thought everyone should know that Princess confiscated two posters surge protectors several months ago.. See posts No. 11 & 17:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1921446&highlight=surge+protectors

Have a feeling more & more lines will start to confiscate them.. Guess we should all think about getting rid of the surge protectors & taking Chengkc's advice about using the belkin.. Especially since surge protectors compromise the Hull of a ship.. If we continue to use them then prices may increase as the Hull of the ship will have to be repaired more often.. :eek:We may all be priced out of cruising & I for one don't want to take that chance..

So, I'm going to order the Monster for our next cruise & also thank you Prescotbob for posting the info & Chengkp for explaining why! :D

This thread has taught me something & thank the OP for starting it too..:D

Cheers.. Betty

P.S. Also see post No. 8 on the celebrity board about RCCL confiscating a power strip recently: And check out post No. 25 on the same thread.. Celebrity also confiscating them..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1962128&highlight=use+of+surge+protectors

Edited by serendipity1499

We don't need to understand it so don't sweat it. It's their business, not ours. I've read lots about geocaching, but I don't do it - that's not say others can't.

As slow as the Internet is, I wonder how anyone could actually get work done on their computer?

It's pretty easy. We've been doing it for over 10 years. Are we running cloud applications? No. But suffice to say that if you need to be connected to work while you're on vacation, you figure it out.

Just in case someone wants to jump in with the "I'm on vacation and I don't want to have to worry about my cell phone / laptop / tablet, etc." - Just remember, some people own businesses or have jobs that require them to be connected, even at sea. If you don't, then good for you. Please don't get all judgmental about it. Thanks.

Why didn't you give her a turn with one of the few outlets in the cabin to charge her laptop? If the plug could not fit, couldn't she use yours for a little while? You know, share.

Edited by jimdalva