New alcohol package

Little Rascal

I know about the new alcohol deal but I thought they offered a wine card. I have also seen wine packages but have never bought one so does anyone know how that works? I don't drink soda or need specialty coffees, and I don't drink mixed drinks so the $49.00 a day per person seems high for me. I just like a glass or two of wine with dinner and maybe a beer here and there.

Brentlym,

Wow! Great deal. That's interesting that it includes so many different items. So maybe they offer different packages for different cruises? We are taking a 16 day cruise of Norway and Iceland so for two of us it would be over $1600.00. I think it would encourage me to drink more than I normally drink.

Brentlym,

Wow! Great deal. That's interesting that it includes so many different items. So maybe they offer different packages for different cruises? We are taking a 16 day cruise of Norway and Iceland so for two of us it would be over $1600.00. I think it would encourage me to drink more than I normally drink.

Yes $1600 is a lot of drinks. :eek:

It all depends on your beverage consumption is on an average day. If you're one who drinks not only cocktails and wine, but also sodas, bottled waters, specialty coffees, etc, then it can be a good value. Remember, it's not solely an alcohol package, but rather a beverage package (both alcoholic and non).

Right. But given that the non-alcoholic drink package is around $10 per day, plus, depending on the length of the voyage, a coffee card could be less than $3 a day, so we're talking about $13 for those two out of a total charge of around $56. Bottled water is around $2 per bottle. So unless one plans on drinking around $40 worth of booze a day, every day, it might be a better deal to do it piecemeal. I highly doubt it would be worth it for me, but everyone can figure out the math for themselves based on their own consumption.

I posted this elsewhere a few days ago, but it might be of interest here.

Princess are offering a "free" drinks package on roundtrip cruises out of Southampton onboard Caribbean Princess in 2015.

If you check the cabin prices - it appears the cost has been added on there.

It's clearly aimed at UK punters - not sure if/how US based customers would access these deals.

A couple or so British based cruise lines are now offering low priced add on drinks packages.

For example, Fred Olsen - £10 (approx. $15) per person per day.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
Grammar

I'm getting ready to send an email to the group that I'm traveling with regarding the Beverage Package. I cut and pasted this from the various postings by Pam, caribill and a few others. Thank you. Does this sound correct ?

It's $49/pp/day for the entire length of the cruise plus 15%. You can purchase it within the first 24 hours of the cruise. The beverage package covers any beverage $10 or less with some exclusions. Many (if not most) wines served by the glass are included. You can get a 40% discount on all bottles of wine under $100 The package also includes beer, soda and bottled water.

I'm getting ready to send an email to the group that I'm traveling with regarding the Beverage Package. I cut and pasted this from the various postings by Pam, caribill and a few others. Thank you. Does this sound correct ?

It's $49/pp/day for the entire length of the cruise plus 15%. You can purchase it within the first 24 hours of the cruise. The beverage package covers any beverage $10 or less with some exclusions. Many (if not most) wines served by the glass are included. You can get a 40% discount on all bottles of wine under $100 The package also includes beer, soda and bottled water.

And juice and milkshakes and brewed coffee at the IC as well as specialty coffees. And, on the Royal, items in the gelato cafe.

The beverage package covers any beverage $10 or less with some exclusions. Many (if not most) wines served by the glass are included. All beer as well foreign and domestic. I got my money's worth yesterday. [ATTACH]306410[/ATTACH]

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

So, by the looks of this photo, this beverage package is only offered on the Sapphire? We're going on the Crown to Alaska in May and are very interested in this package. Especially if it includes ALL beverages (beer, wine, liquor, specialty coffee, soda, etc.). I can't find anything on the website.

Edited by TheLesters

So, by the looks of this photo, this beverage package is only offered on the Sapphire? We're going on the Crown to Alaska in May and are very interested in this package. Especially if it includes ALL beverages (beer, wine, liquor, specialty coffee, soda, etc.). I can't find anything on the website.

No, it was trialed on Sapphire, it'll be on the Crown. The only ships it won't be rolled out to are the Sun Class and Ocean and Pacific.

No, it was trialed on Sapphire, it'll be on the Crown. The only ships it won't be rolled out to are the Sun Class and Ocean and Pacific.

Yes indeed it won't be rolled out to the Sun Class ships because they spend most of the year as The Australian based Princess ships and the 15% Gratuity cannot be added to the package

It's a shame we cannot be treated equally and enjoy the choices provided on the newer ships based in the demanding and obviously more financially viable northern hemisphere market :D

This was posted on Cruise Critic's guide to beverage packages:

Ships: Star Princess, Sapphire Princess, Crown Princess, Coral Princess, Royal Princess, Island Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess and Grand Princess. Caribbean Princess will get the package March 22, 2014, Golden Princess will get it April 1 and Regal Princess will have the package when it launches in May 2014.

Package Details: Princess Cruises' package costs $49 per day, plus a 15 percent gratuity per person, and includes all cocktails, spirits, beer and glasses of wine less than $10. Also, all nonalcoholic drinks served in cans or bottles, as well as mocktails and shakes are included, as are all coffee, tea, espresso and specialty drinks and any food items such as crepes and gelato included with the coffee card. Each purchaser of the package also receives a 40 percent discount on all bottled wine less than $100.

Fine Print: Princess cruisers may purchase the package on seven-night or longer cruises. All passengers traveling in the same stateroom do not have to purchase the package.

So... I'm all about the math, and I want to figure out if you can make this pay for itself... Let's see (please help me get the most correct prices, those of you who remember from recent cruises):

2 specialty coffees a day: $ 7

2 glasses of wine under $10 each: $18 (assuming cannot get $10 glass every time...)

2 beers at $6 each: $12

2 cokes at $2 each: $ 4

2 mixed drinks in the Platinum/Elite Lounge: $18

2 bottled waters at $2 each: $4

OK, I am drunk out of my gourd just thinking about this, BUT my total comes to $63. I've managed to make it pay for itself, but that's just ONE DAY!!! What if I'm on a 16 day cruise like the TA I am planning next year? I might spend the whole cruise under the table. So I cut back, go longer on non-alcoholic drinks, but those are cheaper so I have to drink more... etc etc etc.

Princess will make money off of this (call me Capt Obvious...), there's NO WAY everybody who purchases this package will drink $49 worth on an average day, EVERY day of their cruise.

Oh, and PS: What about the 40% discount on bottled wine. Now that may be interesting...

16 day cruise, 3/4 of a bottle per evening meal, makes 12 bottles total. Let's say regular price of $35 each = $420. At a 40% discount I'm only paying $252 so the bev packg saves me $168 on my 16-day cruise, or just a little over $10 per day on bottled wine alone. Hmmmm...

Bottom line: The above example costs $49 plus 15% per day = $901.60 for 16 days PLUS the $252 plus 15% for bottled wine = $289.80 for a grand total of $1,191. So: do I want to spend every waking minute of my cruise worried about drinking enough, or do I want the occasional leisurely drink and pay less than half of that at the end?

we did the math too, before should we? during the cruise um maybe, after we came home and studied our final bill. There is no way we could drink that much and we enjoy wine, beer and Crooners bar. Its a business and I am a shareholder so I say way to go Princess.

Just off the Ruby, and honestly the package was great. It covered nearly every wine and drink imaginable. It totally takes the guessing out of whether it is covered. You honestly had to make an effort to get a drink outside of the $10 price point (Johnny Walker Blue). It is a beverage package, so nearly everything liquid (including the monster sized water bottles) was included.

Yes, we took advantage of it, as did many other passengers. No, the ship did not become an alcoholic drunk-fest with pole and table dancing. We more than broke even every day and didn't have one hangover (for those of you who think this package will turn all who use it in to alcoholics).

I think the package covers much more than NCL's equivalent.

Well done.

Just off the Ruby, and honestly the package was great. It covered nearly every wine and drink imaginable. It totally takes the guessing out of whether it is covered. You honestly had to make an effort to get a drink outside of the $10 price point (Johnny Walker Blue). It is a beverage package, so nearly everything liquid (including the monster sized water bottles) was included.

Yes, we took advantage of it, as did many other passengers. No, the ship did not become an alcoholic drunk-fest with pole and table dancing. We more than broke even every day and didn't have one hangover (for those of you who think this package will turn all who use it in to alcoholics).

I think the package covers much more than NCL's equivalent.

Well done.

Thanks for the update, we're boarding this Saturday. How long was your particular cruise (ours is the 5 day), did everybody in a cabin have to buy it or on an individual basis, and where do you sign up? We're still seeing some disagreement in Princess's policy enforcement across ships, and if I can't buy it, we'll have to hit Total Wines before boarding.

Ours was the 4 day....

As for whether or not everyone in the cabin had to buy it, I have read the policy and seen the conflict that others have written about. What I am saying is that when we purchased thew package, we both bought it. The Bar Service person told another guest that not everyone had to buy the package... and the other guest only bought one package that I am guessing he used to cover both him and his wife. I am stating what happened, whether within or not within the policy, that is what happened.

What I will say that nearly every time (90%+) I went to get a drink (soda, water, alcohol) for both me and the GF the Server asked to see both cards to see both stickers. The only time they didn't is when we got to know a particular server... then they remembered we both had it (we tend to find a server we like, and then frequent them.. often we don't have to wait as long). Honestly I wouldn't want to stand in line twice as sometimes there was a bit of a wait (like on every ship on every line)....

If you're thinking about not getting the package, then bring a bottle of wine on board for each person... We did, and then didn't open them as we got the beverage package.

We're planning on getting the package on our upcoming Caribbean cruise but I can't imagine getting it on a more port intensive European cruise. You're off the ship most of the day and have to usually be up early in the morning. I drink enough on those cruises without the package. :D:D

We're planning on getting the package on our upcoming Caribbean cruise but I can't imagine getting it on a more port intensive European cruise. You're off the ship most of the day and have to usually be up early in the morning. I drink enough on those cruises without the package. :D:D

Maybe To Go cups? :eek:

Ours was the 4 day....

As for whether or not everyone in the cabin had to buy it, I have read the policy and seen the conflict that others have written about. What I am saying is that when we purchased thew package, we both bought it. The Bar Service person told another guest that not everyone had to buy the package... and the other guest only bought one package that I am guessing he used to cover both him and his wife. I am stating what happened, whether within or not within the policy, that is what happened.

What I will say that nearly every time (90%+) I went to get a drink (soda, water, alcohol) for both me and the GF the Server asked to see both cards to see both stickers. The only time they didn't is when we got to know a particular server... then they remembered we both had it (we tend to find a server we like, and then frequent them.. often we don't have to wait as long). Honestly I wouldn't want to stand in line twice as sometimes there was a bit of a wait (like on every ship on every line)....

If you're thinking about not getting the package, then bring a bottle of wine on board for each person... We did, and then didn't open them as we got the beverage package.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll be getting the package, as it will almost certainly pay for itself (probably by 11AM on sea days ;o), but my wife won't. We'll just be buying her an occasional drink when she's in the mood, and getting the 40% off on the wine at dinner. I don't think we'll bother lugging wine on board.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll be getting the package, as it will almost certainly pay for itself (probably by 11AM on sea days ;o), but my wife won't. We'll just be buying her an occasional drink when she's in the mood, and getting the 40% off on the wine at dinner. I don't think we'll bother lugging wine on board.

I like your preemptive use of bold...well played sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lx200gps viewpost.gif

I like your preemptive use of bold...well played sir.

Too right. Neither my wife nor I have much time for that sort of cheating silliness, and we can only hope that the system is not abused to the point where Princess has to take action. I plan to take full advantage of the package, but we will certainly be purchasing all her drinks, per usual practice.

My question is, is the 15% added on to each beverage or just the $49 per day? If it on Every drink or coffee or water you get it now gets a bit pricey! All other cruise lines add th 15% on the total beverage package, ie $49 per day x the cruise lenth example...$49x15%=394.45 as appose to 15% per beverage orderd!!

You pay the 15% up front - no additional charges on drinks throughout the cruise. They still ring it up, but it shows 0 and you have to sign. (There is still the extra line to add a tip if you want, but it's not required)