IJmuiden - Port of Amsterdam

HAL is starting to cruise from this port this year, it's quite a distance from Amsterdam. How would one get to this port by train, bus if not wanting to do HAL transfer? I understand the ferry from AMS is no longer running. Is there a hotel for pre-cruise stay near this port? Thanks.

HAL is starting to cruise from this port this year, it's quite a distance from Amsterdam. How would one get to this port by train, bus if not wanting to do HAL transfer? I understand the ferry from AMS is no longer running. Is there a hotel for pre-cruise stay near this port? Thanks.

On the HAL board we have had some discussion re IJmuiden. Indeed there is no ferry anymore, also no trainconnections.

I am sure HAL will offer transfers which by far will be the easiest.

Public transport is a bit complicated. The best is to take a train to Amsterdam Sloterdijk (or from Marnixstraat Amsterdam , from then busnr. 82. to Badhuisweg IJmuiden. From there it will be a 10 minutes walk. By far not convenient if you have much luggage.

We have docked at this port twice. The first time we took the cruise shuttle into centre of Amsterdam. They also offer a shuttle into centre of Ijmuden. I believe there is also a bus from AMS centre when DFDS ferries is docking. I believe you can take a bus to the metro station.

We also docked there last year, but my Dutch friend came and met us in her car.

There is nothing much in the port area itself, it would be better to go to AMS or Maastricht. You can find info about the area by doing Google searches or look on Tripadvisor.

We have docked at this port twice. The first time we took the cruise shuttle into centre of Amsterdam. They also offer a shuttle into centre of Ijmuden. I believe there is also a bus from AMS centre when DFDS ferries is docking. I believe you can take a bus to the metro station.

We also docked there last year, but my Dutch friend came and met us in her car.

There is nothing much in the port area itself, it would be better to go to AMS or Maastricht. You can find info about the area by doing Google searches or look on Tripadvisor.

Be aware that the DFDS ferry docks in a different location, which is NOT the dock whre cruiseships dock!

Is the Felison Cruise Terminal correct for cruise ships?

Yes that is correct. It is a rather new terminal in the outskirts of IJmuiden.

We left from IJmuiden a couple years ago and the terminal was quite a drive through the port area. We accidentially ended up at the ferry terminal first, which was a five minute drive away, but were directed to the right terminal after calling the number on our parking confirmation.

Apparently, there's a high speed boat service to Amsterdam, which should be a nice experience.

I find this very irritating that HAL has done this. I doubt we would book a cruise starting in Ijmuiden as you almost have to you a HAL transfer. Docking in Amsterdam proper was super convenient but they burn a little more fuel getting there :mad:.

I find this very irritating that HAL has done this. I doubt we would book a cruise starting in Ijmuiden as you almost have to you a HAL transfer. Docking in Amsterdam proper was super convenient but they burn a little more fuel getting there :mad:.

I agree, but I found a really good deal in August, so may just have to suck it up. I'm working on combining it with a visit to Germany by rail, so AMS would have been so much easier. I'll know tomorrow if it all comes together and plan to take the HAL transfer unless I learn of something better on the roll call.

Indeed it is. Amsterdam is so much easier and interesting.

But....now the ship doesnot have to go through the locks (although it used to be one of the highlights for the passengers), that not only saves at least 3 hours sailing each direction and it will also be much cheaper.

It is not just HAL but also MSC a.o. does this.

Edited by Ine

Apparently, there's a high speed boat service to Amsterdam, which should be a nice experience.

If you are referring to the 'Fast Flying Ferry' hydrofoil service along the canal, it stopped operating at the end of last year,as the OP alluded to.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
Typo

Since we will arrive be rail, we will book the HAL hotel in AMS (Renaissance) on our own and purchase transfers from the hotel and back to the airport. Comes out a bit cheaper and we'll have a better room selection. Thanks for everyone's input.

Edited by Dietemann

• 2 weeks later...

We will be staying in Amsterdam for 2 nights pre cruise. Persons on our roll call have heard that Hal will offer a shuttle from their hotel to Ijumden port for $32 pp. We are not using Hal's hotel and have had difficulty locating private transfer for the 6 of us traveling together . I would like to hear if anyone has found such a service?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Although his car propably cannot hold 6 persons plus luggage and also the fact he he only does longer daytrips, maybe you can contact this guy and see whether he can help you:http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

or else contact TCA cabs in Amsterdam http://www.tcataxi.nl/en/home.html