Aos doa

Can anyone who is on board now confirm if and when you are sailing and if sailing what time you are scheduled to leave. Also can you confirm what type of compensation is being offered. Thanks so much.

There are probally a lot of us wondering when they will leave

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Can anyone who is on board now confirm if and when you are sailing and if sailing what time you are scheduled to leave. Also can you confirm what type of compensation is being offered. Thanks so much.

Someone already did, several posts above...

Phew what an awful experience. We arrived around 4:15. Our cab driver told us Royal told him we'd be 2-3 days in San Juan for repairs. However we had heard nothing from Royal. Despite being registered for email, text, and phone calls and having all 3 at our disposal. We stood in 2 lines for 3 hours before being able to board. It was 90 degrees and they gave us no water, food, or information about what was going on. Those who are not on cruise critic had no idea anything was even wrong with the ship. It was a nightmare. People were having medical emergencies due to the heat and there was 1 bathroom. When an employee wearing a Royal name badge walked by the line with a bottle of water and was asked if passengers could get water he told them we could buy it from the local vendors who came out to sell it while we waited in line.

The Captain updated about 45 minutes ago that we will be in port through tomorrow night. Then we will pick up our itinerary. I heard nothing about any onboard credit so not sure about that. This was truly awful customer service on the part of Royal Caribbean. And to add insult to injury there is a letter in our cabin saying no towel animals this week. With two little boys who I talked up towel animals to this is the icing on thr cake. Royal has not delivered any WOW to me to start my vacation. I reserve full judgement based on the rest of the week. But as of now I would not be booking another sailing on Royal. And yes I realize towel animals are a silly thing to be upset about. :)

And to add insult to injury there is a letter in our cabin saying no towel animals this week. With two little boys who I talked up towel animals to this is the icing on thr cake. Royal has not delivered any WOW to me to start my vacation. I reserve full judgement based on the rest of the week. But as of now I would not be booking another sailing on Royal. And yes I realize towel animals are a silly thing to be upset about. :)

Talk to your cabin steward, I am sure they will still make the towel animals. When we went out last time they were only doing them on formal nights. Well my daughter and niece were having no part of that and they asked (more like told with a please) the cabin steward that they wanted one each night and we had two cabins, they even went as far as to ask her for different animals in each room. And we had different animals in each room every night:).

Phew what an awful experience. We arrived around 4:15. Our cab driver told us Royal told him we'd be 2-3 days in San Juan for repairs. However we had heard nothing from Royal. Despite being registered for email, text, and phone calls and having all 3 at our disposal. We stood in 2 lines for 3 hours before being able to board. It was 90 degrees and they gave us no water, food, or information about what was going on. Those who are not on cruise critic had no idea anything was even wrong with the ship. It was a nightmare. People were having medical emergencies due to the heat and there was 1 bathroom. When an employee wearing a Royal name badge walked by the line with a bottle of water and was asked if passengers could get water he told them we could buy it from the local vendors who came out to sell it while we waited in line.

The Captain updated about 45 minutes ago that we will be in port through tomorrow night. Then we will pick up our itinerary. I heard nothing about any onboard credit so not sure about that. This was truly awful customer service on the part of Royal Caribbean. And to add insult to injury there is a letter in our cabin saying no towel animals this week. With two little boys who I talked up towel animals to this is the icing on thr cake. Royal has not delivered any WOW to me to start my vacation. I reserve full judgement based on the rest of the week. But as of now I would not be booking another sailing on Royal. And yes I realize towel animals are a silly thing to be upset about. :)

I am glad you are finally on board after a terrible day. I would speak to your steward tomorrow and ask if it would be possible for him to do at least one towel animal for your little boys. I would be really surprised if he said no after meeting the kids.

I hope things improve soon.:)

I am glad you are finally on board after a terrible day. I would speak to your steward tomorrow and ask if it would be possible for him to do at least one towel animal for your little boys. I would be really surprised if he said no after meeting the kids.

I hope things improve soon.:)

One of those pretty green thank you notes would probably help too!:D;)

VA- I for one am not going to judge which thing is your biggest disappointment, after all you've been through, if it's towel animals, it's the towel animals! (I'm sure if you mentioned it to your cabin steward, he would make an effort for you, given the children- even if he can't use additional towels to do it) I'm glad you are on board and hope you can enjoy your time.

But I am appalled but the lack of communication. Problems happen, (like busted ships and oil spills) but this is a problem that they knew they would have today given that it started Wednesday. There absolutely should have been a corporate plan in place to communicate with extra staff at port (3 days to fly staff from MIA to SJ is plenty of time) even if the only thing they would be able to communicate was that they don't know anything yet. Despite what anyone thinks, in corporate America today if you are not ahead of the news cycle you are behind...tweets, FB etc are required, and certainly emails, phone calls, texts, to passengers sailing are required, not "optional".

If as reported, no water or accommodations for elderly and special needs passengers were made while waiting to board; that's another major failure given the huge amount of time the company had to prepare for what they knew would be a problem. A hotel ballroom and shuttle could have been arranged cheaply.

This is completely unacceptable and another huge black eye for the Royal and the cruise industry.

VA- I for one am not going to judge which thing is your biggest disappointment, after all you've been through, if it's towel animals, it's the towel animals! (I'm sure if you mentioned it to your cabin steward, he would make an effort for you, given the children- even if he can't use additional towels to do it) I'm glad you are on board and hope you can enjoy your time.

But I am appalled but the lack of communication. Problems happen, (like busted ships and oil spills) but this is a problem that they knew they would have today given that it started Wednesday. There absolutely should have been a corporate plan in place to communicate with extra staff at port (3 days to fly staff from MIA to SJ is plenty of time) even if the only thing they would be able to communicate was that they don't know anything yet. Despite what anyone thinks, in corporate America today if you are not ahead of the news cycle you are behind...tweets, FB etc are required, and certainly emails, phone calls, texts, to passengers sailing are required, not "optional".

If as reported, no water or accommodations for elderly and special needs passengers were made while waiting to board; that's another major failure given the huge amount of time the company had to prepare for what they knew would be a problem. A hotel ballroom and shuttle could have been arranged cheaply.

This is completely unacceptable and another huge black eye for the Royal and the cruise industry.

Could not agree more it would be different if this happened in the middle of the night last night but as u said they have had a few days to work something out. They should had employees on the ground water for the long waits and put a notice on the important updates tab on there website or email guests on there contact info from set sail info. I beleive one pr person could of send out a mass email and updates website and send email to all rccl customer service employees that man the phone lines so if someone did not see info they would be told on the phone. This in my option where we all as the cruise critic community shine in sharing information we hear rather on board in port or online and try to help and inform other fellow cruisers of problems or issues if royal can not do it we sure all can with what we find out.

To me the lack of communication just felt so much like they don't really care. A simple call, text, or email saying things are behind would have been sufficient. I am so incredibly thankful to have found Cruise Critic because as it was 3 hours with a hard to entertain 1 and 3 year old was difficult. Had I shown up in port at 130 as the paperwork says we would have had that much longer. So thankful to those who posted from the port and kept us apprised. And to those on AOS last week who also kept us in the loop. Having an idea of what was transpiring was very helpful. Those who were relying solely on RCI truly had no idea what was happening.

But I am appalled but the lack of communication. Problems happen, (like busted ships and oil spills) but this is a problem that they knew they would have today given that it started Wednesday. There absolutely should have been a corporate plan in place to communicate with extra staff at port (3 days to fly staff from MIA to SJ is plenty of time) even if the only thing they would be able to communicate was that they don't know anything yet.

I agree that the reported conditions today in San Juan were bad.

But to be fair, up until yesterday morning the ship was on time for (its new) schedule. So RCI only had 24 hours notice that there would be a problem; not 3 days

Aloha,

John

But to be fair, up until yesterday morning the ship was on time for (its new) schedule. So RCI only had 24 hours notice that there would be a problem; not 3 days

Aloha,

John

I won't quibble details of the time line with you since I wasn't on board, but there was time to make plans and plans were not made and nothing was communicated to passengers who are reporting here. There is no excuse for that, and shareholders (I am not one) should be very concerned, because this will again cost them.

Getting ahead of it never hurts. An example I will use is with river cruises. Last spring all of the river cruising companies were affected by flooding in the Danube (unavoidable) There were huge discrepancies in the way various companies managed the crisis. Those that communicated, often and clearly, those that had plans in place, and responded to customers fared far better in the court of public opinion. Even though every single company was dealt the same hand; there were very different PR outcomes for the different companies.

Aloha,

John

Communication was horrible on the ship today as we were trying to get off and I think it is bad PR on RCCL part to not communicate to the guests arriving to the ship today.

John - from what I understood and others that were on the ship, please correct me of I misunderstood - we had a busted seal on the middle propeller when we were docking in St. Kitts. From what we were told, they were not able to completely fix the issue, so that is why the itinerary was changed, so we didn't go to Aruba and Curaçao, as we could not go full speed. This all happened on Tuesday, so they did know there was an issue and that the ship had to be repaired once they got to port. It is sad planning on RCCL's part.

What I am trying to say is that they knew of the issue and they also knew that they were temporarily fixing it until we arrived back in San Juan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

After a miserable day of changing flights and everything, we're finally home.. We sat in the imperial lounge for a solid two hours (we were in a Suite so we were told we would be on the first ones off, especially since we had an early flight).. Then it changed to there would be workers in the lounge leading each section, and then there was NO communication, and once one person stood up, the entire crowd just crammed into the entrance of the lounge.. not ONCE was there a crew member in site.. We missed our first flight, then missed the one we rescheduled, and due to some stroke of luck, we were able to get squeezed on a flight out of Puerto Rico at 2:30 and get home..

Up until yesterday afternoon, the changes to the cruise were fine.. It is what it is.. We were in the Caribbean in the sun.. I was disappointed with not going to Aruba and Curacao, but what happened happened and we weren't going to let that ruin our vacation.. Once we just started floating around the ocean yesterday ALL day not moving, and then the miserable disembarkation today, it put a real big damper on it. We loved our vacation, until yesterday. The staff was great, everyone was friendly, until today.. Then there was nothing. The OBC we received was fine with me, until today. Now I feel like there will be quite a few contacting RCL, I being one of them. I'll gladly sail with RCL next year again, but, for me to be satisfied with how everything was handled, I'm expecting a discount on a future cruise since we didn't get to the ports (Aruba and Curacao) that we booked this cruise specifically for, and then the mess today. Is this wrong of me?

I'm following this thread closely and I'm praying for safety as well. I truly cannot believe that RCI didn't communicate SOMETHING....ANYTHING to those scheduled to leave today. I almost feel guilty that I'm more informed from my living room in Virginia of the situation than the passengers.

Someone please update and post here anything the captain announces.

Prayers offered from home that the repair is made quick and COMPLETE so that your journey is safe!! ....and absolutely wonderful!

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

After a miserable day of changing flights and everything, we're finally home.. We sat in the imperial lounge for a solid two hours (we were in a Suite so we were told we would be on the first ones off, especially since we had an early flight).. Then it changed to there would be workers in the lounge leading each section, and then there was NO communication, and once one person stood up, the entire crowd just crammed into the entrance of the lounge.. not ONCE was there a crew member in site.. We missed our first flight, then missed the one we rescheduled, and due to some stroke of luck, we were able to get squeezed on a flight out of Puerto Rico at 2:30 and get home..

Up until yesterday afternoon, the changes to the cruise were fine.. It is what it is.. We were in the Caribbean in the sun.. I was disappointed with not going to Aruba and Curacao, but what happened happened and we weren't going to let that ruin our vacation.. Once we just started floating around the ocean yesterday ALL day not moving, and then the miserable disembarkation today, it put a real big damper on it. We loved our vacation, until yesterday. The staff was great, everyone was friendly, until today.. Then there was nothing. The OBC we received was fine with me, until today. Now I feel like there will be quite a few contacting RCL, I being one of them. I'll gladly sail with RCL next year again, but, for me to be satisfied with how everything was handled, I'm expecting a discount on a future cruise since we didn't get to the ports (Aruba and Curacao) that we booked this cruise specifically for, and then the mess today. Is this wrong of me?

No it is NOT wrong of you! I completely understand. Totally unacceptable the lack of communication for your last day! It's like they shifted their focus and your group of passengers didn't matter to anyone anymore. I don't understand any if this. We recently had an odd experience in a RC cruise...on the last day ironically...it really hampered our experience bc it was as if they could care less about the outgoing passengers since we were hours from disembarking...it was unfortunate. Your experience is much much worse so I don't want to shift the attention.

I guess we can both be thankful we at least got a good vacation first. Feeling even more sorrow for this new group aboard this ship. Doesn't appear they're getting any communication either. And apparently no towel animals (that's the weirdest thing I've heard yet)???

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

First let me say that I am appalled at the lack of communication from Royal, and that I hope the passengers on this week's cruise are able to enjoy their altered itinerary (seems like no one is even certain the ship will actually sail tonight). For the people who just disembarked...I cannot imagine ending a wonderful vacation in this way...Royal needs to communicate, even, as one poster above said, to pass on that there IS a problem whose resolution is currently unclear. DH and I have avoided another cruise line because of all the issues they have had in the last few years. Royal, after the way they have handled this occurrence, doesn't look much better than that other cruise line in my eyes right now. I am disappointed for everyone affected by this.

Edited by MaryL31

Silly Question: How does a propulsion problem affect hotel operations? Are the room stewards so busy fixing the propeller that they don't have time to make towel animals? I would think that with a couple thousand unhappy customers, they would ask other parts of their staff to go the extra mile to make sure that people find something to be happy about.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Edited by SamFritz

At a guess, its probably due to the extra power necessary to do the extra laundry. I'd expect there's a lot turned off behind the scenes for this cruise due to the trying to lessen the amount of power needed from the laboring engines. What with this being the last one before drydock, I think normal maintenance (scrubbing, painting, etc.) will also be cut on this one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

At a guess, its probably due to the extra power necessary to do the extra laundry. I'd expect there's a lot turned off behind the scenes for this cruise due to the trying to lessen the amount of power needed from the laboring engines. What with this being the last one before drydock, I think normal maintenance (scrubbing, painting, etc.) will also be cut on this one.

Morning all I looked first thing this morning on marine traffic and seen aos still in port I hope they provide all onboard some better information today and yesturday in san juan and the texas oil and port closed seemed like a train wrench in the public relations dept. I truly hope u can sail and not have any more problems.

I will not venture a guess as to why there will not be towel animals for the current cruise. However, you are under the common misconception about the ship's power plant and propulsion systems. The ship has several diesel engines that drive generators that generate electricity. This electricity is connected to a bus, or distribution grid similar to the "grid" on land, so the electricity is available wherever needed, hotel or propulsion. The fact that the ship has problems with the propulsion motors does not reflect a problem with generating electricity. The diesel generators are not "laboring", nor even are the propulsion motors, the propulsion motors have been stopped, and without the available horsepower from these stopped motors, the ship cannot make speed. The ship has 6 generators, and only one is needed to power all hotel functions, so the laundry will not be affected. Other than the engine department, no other department would be affected by these propulsion problems, so "normal maintenance" will not be affected.