Cruise Guilt

StaceySteveDMB

We were just talking about this earlier today. That is why I hang out on this board so I can be around other normal people with the same addiction. We don't eat out much or waste money at the movies and just look for great deals on cruises. I too think some of the non cruisers think they cost much more when we get that "another one" comments from friends or family. But seeing what people pay for a week at Disney is more. I'm lucky to be able to work from home so I have a 10yr old paid for truck which saves us cruising money as no need for a car payment. Yeah we haven't told all our family yet that we booked our 3rd one this year in June.

I did 10 cruises last year and don't feel one bit guilty. I worked hard all my life to be able to enjoy my retirement. I did decide, though, that I'll limit to 3 or 4 a year. I really enjoy all the planning, and with cruising almost once a month, I had no time to plan.:D

Wow! Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear so many in the same boat as us, pun totally intended! We have spent 34 days at sea and our kids have been with us got every cruise but 2. Of the three we have left this year, 16 days total, the kids are going to be with us on two of them, 12 days. We love taking the kids and our moms don't hesitate taking the kids during the year for us to spend time together as a couple. Our moms get it and we do take them on a cruise with us each year or two and pay for them also. I guess it is more our friends that don't understand the value of cruising like others have said. Thank you do much for your answers it has made us feel like we are not alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you can afford to cruise and still pay your bills go for it. DW and I started cruising in Dec. 2012 and we are going on our 3rd cruise in a few months. Some people get jealous but that is not my fault. All of our bills get paid and we want to enjoy life while we are still young.

Does anyone that cruises multiple times a year ever feel guilty about it? My wife and I have been on seven cruises since August 2011 and have three more booked before the end of this year. My wife no longer wants to tell anyone about our cruises because people get do jealous and judge us. Thought?

My mother asks "again" every time I go out to eat or a movie or even the grocery store....my friends ask "again" when I say I'm going to the gym....If I ever CAN cruise whenever - I'll say what I say now - yeah, its what I do!!

I would look deeper in to the wife's feelings about it. Does SHE feel guilty? or rather be doing something else?

Sometimes we get the other side of this. People will ask why we don't take another cruise or plan to do something other than a few days visiting friends at the beach for a few days from time to time.

We actually enjoy being home too!

A longer cruise in January and another 7 Day in the late Spring seems enough cruising to us.

:eek: Are our friends and family trying to get rid of us? :D

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

No, I don't feel guilty at all, and I don't feel I need to defend our choices, any more than others have to defend their life style choices to me either.

It is true that many who haven't cruised have some big misconceptions about it, partly due to media's hysterical reporting.

We are planning only our 2nd cruise, but I can see where you would feel that way. I haven't told my best friends about our upcoming Christmas cruise because both of their families are financially unable to vacation at all right now. It's more as someone else said that I don't want to rub it in their faces. So thank goodness for this forum where I can shout it from the rooftops!

If anyone says "another cruise" I just smile and say "life's too short I want to cruise while we're still healthy and able to enjoy it all" We worked hard our whole lives raised our three kids put them thru school and now it's time for us. We leave on April 6th on our 32nd cruise and I'm loving it. :)

Nope - don't feel guilty at all. We work hard and our cruises are a well deserved breaks.

We normally take two 12 days cruises a year. We might squeeze in a 7 days cruise but it depends on timing.

From time to time we also take long weekends away.

Guilt is a complete waste of your time (despite it being a favorite tool of manipulation by an awful lot of people). Other people's opinions of you and what you do are none of your business. Go enjoy as many cruises as you can!!

Does anyone that cruises multiple times a year ever feel guilty about it? My wife and I have been on seven cruises since August 2011 and have three more booked before the end of this year. My wife no longer wants to tell anyone about our cruises because people get do jealous and judge us. Thought?

" Nolo Contendere " . :D

Who cares what others think. It's your money, you worked hard to earn it. Why shouldn't you reap the rewards from that?.

You've been blessed to be able to do something you love, why not take advantage of it?

I do get that others may be a little jealous, it's only natural-we're all human, but honestly, that's not your problem, it's theirs. (i'm a little jealous rignt now and i''m leaving for a cruise next week:)

If it makes you feel guilty telling others you're going away so often, then keep a low profile about it in front of those who can't just be happy for you.

They will have their day in the sun too.

Enjoy your trips!!!

My mother asks "again" every time I go out to eat or a movie or even the grocery store....my friends ask "again" when I say I'm going to the gym....If I ever CAN cruise whenever - I'll say what I say now - yeah, its what I do!!

I would look deeper in to the wife's feelings about it. Does SHE feel guilty? or rather be doing something else?

She wants to cruise. When she wants to do something differetn we certainly will.

I know some people that cruise often (their current situation, background and other actions...lets just say they have had issues) and I wonder to myself how in the blue blazes they can afford to cruise that often even if they are in an inside cabin. I am not jealous...it just raises my "Hmmm" antenna.

I've never felt guilty but it does get awkward when people say "again?!" Some people tend to think cruising is very expensive when In reality it is not....I work daily...never call out sick....and take off once a year, sometimes twice a year to cruise..it's what makes me happy...

I also don't tell many people anymore. Even my family says again. They think we are rich but it is really not expensive. We don't go out shopping all the time,movies, or out to eat. We deserve it but I don't think I should have to defend my chooses. I have 2 booked but have not told any of my family except those going.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Same here! We only go about every other year, and that's a LOT to my friends and family (even though we always wish we could go more often). We don't eat out often, don't go to the movies, and do smaller trips in between (camping, taking the boat out for the day, etc.). We don't have a fancy house, and my car is going on 120,000 miles... we choose to spend our money doing things we enjoy together. While I don't feel guilty, I do choose who I discuss cruising with and who I don't.