Cruise Guilt

StaceySteveDMB

Like most people, my wife and I work throughout our "working" years. We usually kept our cars about 10 or 12 years. No one came to me and apologized when they bought a new car every two or three years.

We went out for dinner once a week. No one came and apologized when the went our 5 or 6 nights a week.

We have no debt.

We are doing the traveling we have always dreamed of. Hell NO we do not apoligize

It's funny how some people think about vacations! If I said that we were going to the Jersey Shore for a week or 2, they wouldn't think we had money. If I said we were going on a 1 or 2 wk. cruise, it's "boy, we know who has the money!" Two weeks at the Jersey Shore would be unaffordable to us, especially with the same luxuries we'd get on a cruise! You could lead a horse to water, but, you can't make them drink!

We shouldn't have to defend what we do or buy, but, we all find ourselves doing it! I, also, don't tell people unless they ask and people do ask!

We cruise every couple of months. I get the "again" phrase as well as the ppl that roll their eyes, if they even hear me talking about it. I do find myself feeling guilty when it comes to family, especially my mother. (We have taken her a few times, but we want our alone vacations as well). So now I usually tell my sister not to mention it to mother.

We thought we would cruise more often once we retired but we got 2 kittens and hate to impose on our sitter too often. (We also do some short land vacations.) Instead we cruise once a year on avg for 2 weeks in a suite. We still get the occasional "so did you have a Butler this time?" question. We just smile and say "Yes, and he was wonderful." :D

We worked hard and it's our money to spend as we want.

Mary Lou

I only cruise once a year (I'm a broke teacher lol!), but if I did cruise more often, I definitely wouldn't feel guilty! It's my money and my vacation, so I'll do what I want! One reason that I love to cruise is because it is fairly inexpensive.

Guilt could be extended beyond cruising to include any type of holiday. We have friends who would 'kill' for a holiday but circumstances beyond their control mean it is just about impossible for them to have even a short break. In this case I do feel 'guilty' when we go away and haven't told them yet about our cruise towards the end of the year. Obviously we will do at some point, but I do try and play it down.

Cruise guilt otherwise doesn't bother me. Must admit though I do feel a little envious of some of the posters on this thread who manage 3 or more trips a year. Perhaps if we lived near to a port we might cruise more, but for us it's either a long trek down to the south coast of the UK or a flight, both of which make a reasonably priced cruise a little bit more expensive, especially as most flights are in and out of London airports and a regional flight will often incur a supplement.