Trying to be patient ... Double charged for cruise balance

Not true. All the TA can do (and appears to have done) is work with RCI to get the money refunded. The money does not flow through the TA's account, and RCI will only refund to the credit card used to make a purchase, so the TA couldn't advance the money and have RCI reimburse her.

I know it's frustrating, but what more is it that you want her to do? It seems to me that she has requested the refund and kept on top of it. She can't exactly fly to Miami and dance on Adam Goldstein's desk until it's all resolved.

I have had to track down refunds for clients at some point, and if RCI gave me a time frame in which to expect the refund, I would wait until the time expired before I called them again. RCI told your TA that the rest should come over the weekend, which has just started. I don't think it's unreasonable for her to wait until Monday to follow up again.

Another update .... Thanks for all the info and tagging along while I get this all straightened out. I'm typing on my iPad so I can't quote people, but I did want to comment about a few things I read here ...

I booked two separate cabins and have two separate booking numbers. We booked a balcony and an inside for the kids. The sum of what we owed on BOTH CABINS was $5,174.84. I gave my credit card info to my TA on 3/11. On Sunday, 3/16 my credit card was charged that amount twice ... The charges came from Royal Caribbean. I called my TA on Monday 3/17 and she said she would take care of it. Here's what took place after that .... Bear with me ... I just want to paint a clear picture since there have been some assumptions:

1) two charges appear on cc for $5174.84 each on 3/16 (Sunday)

2) on the morning of 3/17 I called TA; she said she would take care of it ... At this point, she did NOT say anything about multiple amounts being refunded back over a length of time ... She just said " oh darn it! I will take care of it" and we hung up.

3) at 8:29 pm on 3/17, I got an email from my TA that said this "Royal Caribbean has issued a refund for the double charge, it should show on your account tomorrow or Wednesday." And that is it. Again, no mention of multiple amounts, multiple days, etc.

4) on 3/18, I checked my account and two refunds were pending ... One for $1720.00 and one for $23.40. I had started this thread so at this point I knew to expect multiple refunds (thanks guys!) so I waited to see if anymore appeared. Seeing none, I emailed my TA again and told her this "hey xxxxxx, I just checked my account and I only see refunds for $1720 and $23.40 dated yesterday. The total refund should be $5,174.84."

5) she replied at 9:15 am on 3/20 ... "Will check again ... They always bring it back in spurts. You will probably notice more today." THIS IS THE FIRST TIME SHE MENTIONED THE MULTIPLE AMOUNTS.

6) I checked my account again and emailed her back at 10:06 am on 3/20 and said this "okay ... I just checked my acct again and nothing is showing yet ... Only the two previous refunds. Still looking for an additional $3,431.44 to be refunded. Let me know if I need to call my credit card company."

7) I checked my acct again that afternoon (3/20) and saw another refund so I sent my TA another email that said "I see another refund pending for $1,114.84. We are getting there ... Why can't they just credit the entire amount all at once?" ... Her reply at 3:00 pm "since I was told it would take six hours, I do not understand why it takes so long. When they return it, it comes back in pieces. You should see all of it today I hope. You can tell your credit card company it was a mischarge if it helps. Let me know." *I HAVEN'T CALLED THE CC COMPANY YET ... STILL WAITING AND HOPEFUL THAT MORE REFUNDS WILL APPEAR THIS WEEKEND.

8) at 8:57 am on 3/21 SHE EMAILED THIS: "any more back?"

9) I replied at 11:20 on 3/21 "no, nothing showing today ... Still need $2,316.60 refunded ... Thanks" Her reply at 12:04 was " I called they put $23.40 back not $2340. I'm so sorry, will call again."

10) her reply at 12:22 pm on 3/21 "they said you should see another refund $2,219.18 from today till over the weekend. They will send me the $97.42. I will send you a check for this. If for some reason they refund the entire amount, you can rip up the check. Someone forgot a decimal in the amount." AT THIS POINT, I AM GETTING FRUSTRATED ...

11) I sent her an email that evening (3/21) at 6:22 pm "thanks for staying on top of this. Still no refunds showing today ... Just want to keep you updated." Her reply on 3/22 at 11:43 am was "thanks!"

12) 3/22 at noon .. I checked my account AGAIN and sent ANOTHER email "I checked it again this morning and there are still no new refunds." I haven't heard back from her yet.

So, we have been communicating, albeit with only pertinent details. But at least she is following up and responding to my emails. I still don't understand the different amounts and why RCCL does it this way. I wish she was more proactive in my regard but it is what it is ... I just want my money back!!!

So that's it .... Long winded but that's what has happened to date.

I believe that the way Royal handles the issues of refunds, seems to be very poor....but the TA handling of it is unacceptable -- not that I mean that the TA can get Royal to do something faster than they want to, but that the TA DID NOT properly communicate to the OP, what possibly could happen, from conversation #1, when the OP notified the TA of the double billing. Maybe, just maybe the TA put through the first charge and later that same day, did not remember that they did it earlier that day, and put through the charge again -- human error, for sure -- it happens. If that is what happened 'own up to it', would be my expectation. Just a little side speculation from me, on this.

When the OP realized that they were double charged and calls the TA the very next day, and the TA says NOTHING about the possibility of the refund coming in multiple amounts over a period of time and merely says, " oh darn it! I will take care of it" -- something is wrong with the TYPE of customer service this TA provides. This TA knew how Royal handles refunds and it became very clear a few days later. The OP further goes on to explain that it wasn't until several days later (on 3/20) that the TA actually tells the OP, "Will check again ... They always bring it back in spurts."

If you don't tell people at the first initial moment what MIGHT happen, you are dong a poor job of customer service.

Would you go to any professional, that doesn't know their business and how their business operates (and the cruise lines are the TA's business). The TA can't change their policies, but they have to know them to communicate them to their cruisers.

I wouldn't use a doctor who I went to for a pain in my foot, if he said to me after an exam and whatever tests he needed to perform: "Oh darn it, you are having pain....and I can solve the problem...I just need to set up some time in a surgical suite for a procedure....I will take care of it for you" -- you would expect to know EXACTLY what options he has IN THE SURGICAL procedure and what to expect afterwards. How would you feel if after coming out of the surgical procedure, your foot was amputated below the knee....sure the pain is gone, but a lot more as well.

Everything that has transpired after 3/20 between the TA and OP, is communicating 'pertinent details' as the OP refers to it. I would refer to it as the TA telling the OP, what the TA hopes will satisfy the cruiser until the money can actually all be credited back, because perhaps the TA is worried about losing a future customer. This is my opinion.....but I have worked in customer service for many years, and know that is what happens.

Wondering if this mess got "fixed" today??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In a word, no. On Friday, my TA said I would see the remaining amount refunded over the weekend. I checked two or three times per day. Nada. I checked at 8:30 this morning and even gave them until noon when I checked again ... Nada. I sent another email to my TA, which basically said how ridiculous this fiasco has been. They still owe me a $2319 refund ... I am tired of babysitting this issue. I am going out of town Wednesday morning and won't be back until Sunday. I told her I want it fixed before I leave and this does not compel me to want to book another RCCL cruise and I haven't even sailed yet!!!!! Can you tell I am frustrated?

I believe that the way Royal handles the issues of refunds, seems to be very poor....but the TA handling of it is unacceptable -- not that I mean that the TA can get Royal to do something faster than they want to, but that the TA DID NOT properly communicate to the OP, what possibly could happen, from conversation #1, when the OP notified the TA of the double billing. Maybe, just maybe the TA put through the first charge and later that same day, did not remember that they did it earlier that day, and put through the charge again -- human error, for sure -- it happens. If that is what happened 'own up to it', would be my expectation. Just a little side speculation from me, on this.

When the OP realized that they were double charged and calls the TA the very next day, and the TA says NOTHING about the possibility of the refund coming in multiple amounts over a period of time and merely says, " oh darn it! I will take care of it" -- something is wrong with the TYPE of customer service this TA provides. This TA knew how Royal handles refunds and it became very clear a few days later. The OP further goes on to explain that it wasn't until several days later (on 3/20) that the TA actually tells the OP, "Will check again ... They always bring it back in spurts."

If you don't tell people at the first initial moment what MIGHT happen, you are dong a poor job of customer service.

Would you go to any professional, that doesn't know their business and how their business operates (and the cruise lines are the TA's business). The TA can't change their policies, but they have to know them to communicate them to their cruisers.

We get it. You don't like the TA. Said it at least 3 or 4 times. Doesn't matter as the OP still doesn't have her money back and it has nothing to do with the TA

I wouldn't use a doctor who I went to for a pain in my foot, if he said to me after an exam and whatever tests he needed to perform: "Oh darn it, you are having pain....and I can solve the problem...I just need to set up some time in a surgical suite for a procedure....I will take care of it for you" -- you would expect to know EXACTLY what options he has IN THE SURGICAL procedure and what to expect afterwards. How would you feel if after coming out of the surgical procedure, your foot was amputated below the knee....sure the pain is gone, but a lot more as well.

Everything that has transpired after 3/20 between the TA and OP, is communicating 'pertinent details' as the OP refers to it. I would refer to it as the TA telling the OP, what the TA hopes will satisfy the cruiser until the money can actually all be credited back, because perhaps the TA is worried about losing a future customer. This is my opinion.....but I have worked in customer service for many years, and know that is what happens.

You obviously do not like TAs....you have no idea WHAT Royal's policies and procedures are and you continue to beat a dead horse which does not really help....

We get it....you've worked in CS many years, so have I but you have NO idea what the TA did or didn't do...

OP...if you haven't already get your TA to do a 3 way call with Royal's resolutions department...(hopefully you can get to them by phone..)

I really hope they fix this for you fast...yes it can take a few days, but this has been going on long enough. I feel your pain!

In a word, no. On Friday, my TA said I would see the remaining amount refunded over the weekend. I checked two or three times per day. Nada. I checked at 8:30 this morning and even gave them until noon when I checked again ... Nada. I sent another email to my TA, which basically said how ridiculous this fiasco has been. They still owe me a $2319 refund ... I am tired of babysitting this issue. I am going out of town Wednesday morning and won't be back until Sunday. I told her I want it fixed before I leave and this does not compel me to want to book another RCCL cruise and I haven't even sailed yet!!!!! Can you tell I am frustrated?

OMG I am so sorry! This has gone on long enough... I agree a 3 way conference call is needed. This has gotten to the ridiculous point.

Good luck to you!

No, it is still in process. As of today, they have now over refunded me by $2,200 ... At least this mistake is in my favor!

Now I'd be starting to worry that they are thinking all reservations are cancelled. Better log in to your acct and make sure what your cruise says and that they still show you sailing and that you are paid in full!

Now I'd be starting to worry that they are thinking all reservations are cancelled. Better log in to your acct and make sure what your cruise says and that they still show you sailing and that you are paid in full!

You make a GREAT point....If I were the OP, I would make sure I have the reservations still there that I am expecting to have. A company doesn't OVER-REFUND very often. They go thru the refund process slowly to make sure it doesn't happen...so this should send a huge RED FLAG up.

I am logged in to royal's website ... Where does it say "paid in full"????

Ask at for statement from RC.

Unfortunately as you booked through TA you can't request yourself. I book myself direct with RC and they always send me a statement every time I make a payment. (They once even sent me a TA statement as they thought I was a TA lol for booking myself even though I'm not:D) so that's how I know TA can get a statement breaking down cost pp gratuities taxes and payments received and balance.

Good luck.

Take a deep breath. I know this has been frustrating. You may not have actually been over-refunded. Just like there can be pending charges and then posted charges there can be pending refunds and posted refunds (although this is far less common).

Ask your TA for a Guest copy of the Royal Caribbean booking invoice. Make sure it is dated for the current day. Because you booked via a TA it will not have dollars paid, etc, as this would violate Royal's contract with your TA. If you are still unsure, you can arrange for your TA to have a conference call with you, them and Royal where Royal can confirm your bookings are still paid in full.

So when you logged into your account it shows you have a confirmed booking?? Ok this is good.

That TA needs to double check in writing with a current date. I am a control freak and would continue to check yourself often over the next few days while this mess is cleaned up.

I'm sure it will all work out.... I think you may need to reconsider your choice of TA. Something about this whole thing just is wrong wrong wrong. I am a firm believer in the value of a good TA and I think yours is somehow up to her eyeballs in this screwed up mess.

Edited by nana541

So happy I found this thread! I checked my bank statement this morning and rc has doubled charged me for the remaining balance. I've also used a travel agent. This is my checking account so I'm lucky the extra grand was in there as I don't usually keep over 500 in the account. My ta is on the phone with rc now trying to fix it. So it doesn't look like an isolated incident

I wouldn't say "no worries," given the current abominable condition of RCI's systems.

OP, RCI processes credits in weird and inexplicable amounts. I would give it another few days to see if any more credits trickle in. If not, then continue to buying your TA to get it fixed. It may take time to get through on the phones, but one ca always find something to do while on hold.

My observation has been initial charges are for full cruise price.

Refunds come in 3 payments, 1 for cabin portion, 1 for taxes 1 for port fees, that all add to the total initial billing.

I assume its this way for accounting purposes, figuring the future liabilities for port fees and taxes are handled by a separate department or something thus they refund separately.

My observation has been initial charges are for full cruise price.

Refunds come in 3 payments, 1 for cabin portion, 1 for taxes 1 for port fees, that all add to the total initial billing.

I assume its this way for accounting purposes, figuring the future liabilities for port fees and taxes are handled by a separate department or something thus they refund separately.

If I read the OP latest post he has now been "over refunded" to the tune of $2200.00!!!! Things just keep getting worse :(

The TA made the charges NOT ROYAL.

Reputable TA's do not make the charges, the cruiseline does.

You don't wait when you are dealing with $5,000. It's been three days, I wouldn't give that TA more than a minute longer. The TA may be doing this intentionally because of financial troubles.

Now you're making stuff up

For all you know that TA could be bankrupt now, then you really have a problem.

If the charge has RCL's name on it, who cares?

If the TA's name is on the charge, who cares. That's why you paid with a credit card, to be protected

Denying a charge is way different than disputing one.

You'll have to explain that statement to me. When you dispute a charge, you are denying it

If the credits go over a billing cycle the credit card company starts charging you interest if you don't make that payment.

Not if you end up disputing the charge they don't

You can definitely dispute a charge without denying it. With many companies there's the option to select "I did business with this vendor but the amount is wrong" and a host of other possibilities.

I once returned purchased items through the mail but they were not as advertised. When I didn't receive my refund, I disputed (not denied) the charge and the CC refunded my money.

You can definitely dispute a charge without denying it. With many companies there's the option to select "I did business with this vendor but the amount is wrong" and a host of other possibilities.

I once returned purchased items through the mail but they were not as advertised. When I didn't receive my refund, I disputed (not denied) the charge and the CC refunded my money.

I agree

Last year I got a statement from guest relations the evening before departure. When the final bill was delivered it had a $10 charge for minibar even though I hadn't used the mini bar.

As I needed to be off the ship quickly I called RC as soon as I arrived home as the line at guest relations was huge.

They said they would have to contact the ship, contact cabin steward etc etc. I took both statements to my bank because as well as having a hold on for incorrect amount they also had a hold on for correct amount and several other amounts for holds through the week! (Needless to say last time I use a debit card on oard:D) and Miami told me could take up to two weeks for their holds to drop off (not on my debit card thank you)!

Went to bank with statements in hand as evidence of bill, they rang their dispute department authorizing payment for what I agreed was correct and removed all the other holds overnight for me.

Whilst I have not used that card onboard again (cc's from here on I think;)) I have used the debit card as a credit card to make cruise payments no problem.

Checking back in and hoping it's all fixed!

Knock on wood ... But it seems like we finally got it balanced. They did over reimburse me, but that was fixed today. This took way longer than I expected! My TA apologized several times. Just glad it is fixed! Whew!