Splendor 8446 or 8457 - opinions needed!

pe4all

So - I consider myself a well-educated cruiser who researches every aspect of my cruises! I am ready to pull the trigger to cruise on Splendor for next President's Week, as I have never sailed on her before, and we like to try as many different classes of ships as possible. Could sail again on Conquest in an L-shaped cabin, as we did a few weeks ago, but want to try a "new" ship. The L-shaped cabins on Empress are not showing on Splendor - we like being between 2 floors of cabins for quiet. However, 8446 and 8457 are both open on Splendor. I am very leery of the noise-factor of being below Lido, as we are both light sleepers and don't particularly want to wear earplugs!

I have read all reviews/opinions on the noise for those cabins, and no one REALLY finds it too bad with chairs scrapping. I have pulled decks over each other to see which cabin would be better, but I am really stuck. Any opinions? (btw - Conquest and Splendor are doing exactly the same ports in the same order at the same exact times - but again, wanted to try a different ship)

Any opinions?

Edited by pe4all

We were in BOTH these cabins. 8446 last May and 8457 last month. And yes, there is a "noise factor" and you will feel vibration at times and hear the chairs scrape early in the morning. Also, there is the employee stairs right there and they are in and out at all hours...if you are a light sleeper, might not be the place for you to be. We just weighed the pros and cons of having that large balcony, great area (right up/down stairs to/from Lido) and the nice L shape and it was a no brainer for us to pick it the 2nd time, but on the other side of the ship just to dare to be different! :p I really can't give you advice as you know what you can "tolerate" and I don't know if it's the same from one cruise to another, either! Good luck making your decision and have a great cruise!

I've never stayed under the lido deck because of movement, the pool pumps and filters are above you, chairs moving and kitchens above you. I've heard a lot of people do here noise so I avoid that. Just my personal preferences.

I've never stayed under the lido deck because of movement, the pool pumps and filters are above you, chairs moving and kitchens above you. I've heard a lot of people do here noise so I avoid that. Just my personal preferences.

We ALWAYS stay on the deck below Lido. I love just walking up and down one flight of stairs. We NEVER had a problem on any other ship. We noticed the "noise factor" on our lst Splendor sailing in May, 2013 when we were in 8446 which is right below the Liner Pool. When we were picking our cabin for the cruise last month, we decided it "wasn't that bad", and the good outweighed the bad, but tried the other side of the ship. Both cabins were available. I would say 8457 wasn't as bad as 8446, but that may just have been that cruise. :confused::confused:

Thank you everyone! I was leaning towards 8457 myself. The vibration factor doesn't bother me as much as the noise factor. I will wait a few more days until the return air opens on AA. Guess I'll take a chance and try veranda, unless one of the L-shaped on Empress open up.

We have both of these cabins booked in November - us in one and our daughter and son-in-law in the other.

I am nervous about the potential noise but we're going to take the chance because I really like the look of the cabins and the balcony size. Maybe I'll look this post up when we complete the cruise and post our opinion again (of course that may be too late for you....if you've booked - but hopefully I'll share great news!!!)

I had 8424 a few rooms down and it was quiet at night. During the day you might hear some chair scraping but its not a big deal. The back lido deck gets to be pretty empty at night with exception of the hot tubs but those are more in the middle and not above your room. I loved being able to take a quick flight of stairs to lido restaurant and endless ice supply ;).

Ugh- I just can't decide what to do! Have never had this problem of deciding which cabin before1 Almost makes me want to book Conquest again, cause I know what I am getting there.:) Still have till next Saturday to decide. Paumavista- TY for your offer!

We swapped the L shaped for an aft extended 2 cabins around next to the corner balcony under the Lido on Splendor and did not hear a peep the whole cruise and it was June very hot and the pool was full all the time!

If the L shaped cabin is available I would grab it quick!

The aft extended on this deck we had next to the corner balcony is at least a meter wider than other afts with a bulkhead overhang that gave much needed shade. I would grab this cabin again in a heartbeat:)

Edited by fishtaco

I really honestly think it varies from cruise to cruise. The "vibration" was more prominent on port side 8446. This is mostly coming into port early in the morning. The employee stairs are right behind you and I am sure there are some that are "quiet and considerate" and others that are in "hurry mode" and don't realize that their slamming the door and footsteps are heard from pax in adjoining rooms! :eek: The chair scraping is early in the morning and doesn't last...they are setting up the lounge chairs at the Liner Pool. We LOVED the cabin. Just so different and a nice "cut out" space next to the bathroom to store things! There are 2 chairs and a table. We would usually put the table in the cut out part to save some space. For some reason, I thought 8457 seemed smaller than 8446 when we got into the room last month! :confused::confused: I think 8446 might have had one more window, but I can't really remember! Maybe it was just my imagination. :o:o Really depends on what you can tolerate. WTH, you could always try it and if you don't like it, lesson learned!

I really honestly think it varies from cruise to cruise. The "vibration" was more prominent on port side 8446. This is mostly coming into port early in the morning. The employee stairs are right behind you and I am sure there are some that are "quiet and considerate" and others that are in "hurry mode" and don't realize that their slamming the door and footsteps are heard from pax in adjoining rooms! :eek: The chair scraping is early in the morning and doesn't last...they are setting up the lounge chairs at the Liner Pool. We LOVED the cabin. Just so different and a nice "cut out" space next to the bathroom to store things! There are 2 chairs and a table. We would usually put the table in the cut out part to save some space. For some reason, I thought 8457 seemed smaller than 8446 when we got into the room last month! :confused::confused: I think 8446 might have had one more window, but I can't really remember! Maybe it was just my imagination. :o:o Really depends on what you can tolerate. WTH, you could always try it and if you don't like it, lesson learned!

Again - thank everyone for their help. I love the idea of putting the table and chairs in the cut-out! Think I will book 8457 and give it a try. I guess I won't be getting any obc for price drops, as there are only 8446 and 8457 in that cabin category, even though it is going for the same price as the other side aft balconies. (those 2 cabins are different colors than the other side afts.)

Again - thank everyone for their help. I love the idea of putting the table and chairs in the cut-out! Think I will book 8457 and give it a try. I guess I won't be getting any obc for price drops, as there are only 8446 and 8457 in that cabin category, even though it is going for the same price as the other side aft balconies. (those 2 cabins are different colors than the other side afts.)

We just put the TABLE in the cut out...but if you are not going to use your chairs, they would fit too! Also, beach bags and things that just took up room in the closet. They must have "upgraded" the balconies because they were 8C, "regular balcony" when we booked them both times. :confused: ENJOY! It's just something different to do and a new experience!

We just put the TABLE in the cut out...but if you are not going to use your chairs, they would fit too! Also, beach bags and things that just took up room in the closet. They must have "upgraded" the balconies because they were 8C, "regular balcony" when we booked them both times. :confused: ENJOY! It's just something different to do and a new experience!

Again, ty! I am hoping it is still classified as an 8C, cause we will probably catch a price drop before next Feb. Will try to call my pvp later today to book it!:D

Edited by pe4all

I beg your pardon, they are listed as "premium balconies" but they are the same price as regular balconies last I looked and the category was 8C. Look for price drops DAILY. It does happen! We have just always loved the convenience of being one deck below Lido and can run up and down whenever we want instead of waiting for elevators or feeling like we have run a marathon! HAVE FUN! ;)

I beg your pardon, they are listed as "premium balconies" but they are the same price as regular balconies last I looked and the category was 8C. Look for price drops DAILY. It does happen! We have just always loved the convenience of being one deck below Lido and can run up and down whenever we want instead of waiting for elevators or feeling like we have run a marathon! HAVE FUN! ;)

I look at my prices 3x a day! (call it an obsession to catch a price drop!) I am happy to see it listed as an 8C. If I don't get a price drop, I am still happy with the price I have paid!

Edited by pe4all

For those of you who have sailed in these rooms.......the space beside the bathroom......can you remember how big it is......Could we possibly fit (slide in) a portacrib in that space/one of the cruise size cribs?

We will be helping with our kids and are thinking of "taking" the kids a couple of nights (since CC doesn't do bed checks) or for naps......my idea was that a portacrib would fit perfectly in that corner nook.......am I right???

We would slide it in and just lift in/out from the end of the crib.

Thank you!

For those of you who have sailed in these rooms.......the space beside the bathroom......can you remember how big it is......Could we possibly fit (slide in) a portacrib in that space/one of the cruise size cribs?

We will be helping with our kids and are thinking of "taking" the kids a couple of nights (since CC doesn't do bed checks) or for naps......my idea was that a portacrib would fit perfectly in that corner nook.......am I right???

We would slide it in and just lift in/out from the end of the crib.

Thank you!

Darn, I had meant to take measurements of that area our 2nd time, just for questions like this. I really think a porta crib would fit perfectly and the good thing is that this "space" is kind of in the furthest corner of the room. In other words, you wouldn't have to worry about trying to "get around" the crib when moving around the room. ;)

Darn, I had meant to take measurements of that area our 2nd time, just for questions like this. I really think a porta crib would fit perfectly and the good thing is that this "space" is kind of in the furthest corner of the room. In other words, you wouldn't have to worry about trying to "get around" the crib when moving around the room. ;)

Thank you! Anyone else have an idea to the "size" of this corner space. We are booking this cabin for the balcony & I'm hoping we LOVE this corner niche to use for a portacrib - any opinions on whether the crib will fit in this spot??

My PVP is very helpful when picking out a cabin. She has suggested several options to us - knows where the crew doors are etc...

You might just run you options by your PVP and see what they say! Good luck.

I just googled pictures of either of these staterooms and found pictures on http://www.********************. One of the pictures shows the "cut out."

Ooops...forgot about the "rule" about websites. Well, just put that in google: PICTURES OF STATEROOM 8446 or 8457 on Carnival Splendor. We have never uesed a PVP but I have read that they do offer very good advice, but nothing is better than someone who has actually experienced it! :p Paumavista, why don't you just call CCL and ask them if the portacrib would fit there?

Ooops...forgot about the "rule" about websites. Well, just put that in google: PICTURES OF STATEROOM 8446 or 8457 on Carnival Splendor. We have never uesed a PVP but I have read that they do offer very good advice, but nothing is better than someone who has actually experienced it! :p Paumavista, why don't you just call CCL and ask them if the portacrib would fit there?

Honestly I get ALL my cruise information here......my PVP is pretty useless except for booking (should have switched long ago!)....but she DOES return my calls and emails promptly...and I've been told that I'm lucky she does that. Based on other questions I've asked (she had NO IDEA the balcony was any bigger in these cabins) - I'm positive she has no idea about the room configuration!

We've switched to a TA since my daughter is now getting married on the cruise (maybe he can find out) - I've been hesitant to ask someone else at Carnival due to the fact that the room only SLEEPS 2 people (so unless I'm booking for myself and the baby only......why would I be asking this question)?

I've looked at the pictures of both the room/nook and the cribs provided by carnival and it "looks" to me like it would be a pretty good fit....but I wanted to know what someone thought who had actually been in the room.

Thanks for the advice and information!

We stayed in 8457 when the Splendor was in So Cal. We really liked the large odd shaped room and large balcony. The only thing that wasn't to great was the bathroom is directly next to the bed. At night the light being turned on can be a little annoying to the sleeping person. Small problem for a really nice room, lots of extra space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app