Best way for newbies to tour NYC in Dec.

mattR

We are traveling with a bunch of first timers to NYC. What is the best way to tour around NYC in Dec? We enjoyed the greyline hop on hop off bus but thinking that may be to cold in the winter? There would be btw 8-12 of us.

We are traveling with a bunch of first timers to NYC. What is the best way to tour around NYC in Dec? We enjoyed the greyline hop on hop off bus but thinking that may be to cold in the winter? There would be btw 8-12 of us.

Could you provide more details? Exact date? Where exactly are you staying?

Herding 8-12 people around on the regular hop on hop off buses in the cold could be difficult. I'd look at regular bus tours of the city to visit the city highlights as a group with a guide. I'm seeing something called Newyorktours which offers a variety of tours that include a guide who hops on and off with you at the stops. That would take all the pressure off of you to be responsible for everyone.

I'd also ask this question on Trip Advisor.

If it is cold on the HoHo you can always stay inside, you don't have to sit on top. Another place to check is Viator.com I use them when I go to Europe to find various tours. They are reliable. I see a deluxe 8 hour coach tour that includes a harbor cruise and lunch in Little Italy, and others.

We went on a weekend bus trip to NYC for work last year. We used Levy's Unique New York. They do customized tours. In our case the guide hopped on our bus with us and told the driver where to go. Sometimes we walked and he told the driver where to pick us all up later. You can do customized tours to see whatever you want. We thought it was interesting and a lot of fun. I didn't organize it so I don't know what the cost was.

I can help you for sure but help us also,

When are you getting in the city ( date and time ) ?

Where do you stay ?

When do you leave ?

What are your interests ?

NYC is so amazing !

Nov 29/14 at 6ish am arrival at JFK

Double Tree Hilton NE of times square a ways

Board the Gem Dec 1

Movie stuff/ sights/ not museums

Edited by mattR

You are arriving the Sat of Thanksgiving weekend, so the city will be extra busy.

I'd pursue looking at tour companies for a Sunday morning tour to see what's available. Sunday morning is the quietest time of the week - fewer people out and less traffic so easier to get around.

You really don't need a tour. Taxi and subway are the way to move around quickly.

I agree that you should split the group in 2 smaller group. Not everyone is interested in the same thing and usually there are the "shoppers" who like to spend time in souvenir shop, the Hershey store and things like this.

Then there are the ones who really dont want to "waste" time in shops. And this can be an argue point even amongst friends.

Within a couple of days I will give you a "schedule" and itinerary for an optimal self guided tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

How mobile is the group? Do you want to see a lot of things somewhat superficially, or a few things well?

The HOHOs are stuck in Manhattan traffic with everyone else. They do cover a lot of territory, though, especially uptown. If you want to do the "usual", Battery Park, Statue of Liberty (or Staten Island Ferry if time crunched), 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street, etc., and are able to walk and are comfortable with the subway, I'd probably pick a handful of locations and do them on my own. If you just want to see a lot, then a HOHO or private tour makes sense.

I personally think Manhattan is best experienced on the ground with the people...

if you are going to the worldtrade centre memorial .. pre buy your ticket on line, cost is $2 a person last time in looked.. You get to skip past the lines of people who did not put a reservation is. The world trade memorial is free but the 2 bucks is just to put a reservation in. it works a lot better. The subway system is great and easy to get around in. we bought one week passes i beileve for 30 bucks and used them. We were only there for 3 days and end up giving them away when we left.

there is also a goup called the Big Apple organization. you apply for thier services .. they are a walking tour. and Free , we bought gifts from where we live to give to her. When you fill out the form on line you sell yourself to them. the vollunteers select who they want to take around. Our vollunteer was great ,, shee was suppose to be with us for 3 hours max and she stayed with us for 6 hours and meet up with the next day to get us in a church service in Harlem. Plan your trip ahead of time there is so much to see and do in NYC that is free, we left exhausted .. we started at 7 in the moring and went to bed every night at 2 in morning.

I can understand why the commercial is i love new york :D

also if you don't pre-book the WTC memorial it is possible it will be sold out completely or that you will have to go after dark. As others pointed out this is an extremely busy weekend in NY with lots of out of town tourists to see the Thanksgiving day parade and stay around. Shopping is Black Friday.- the singlest most busy shopping day of the year.

I don't normally recommend the hop on hop off tours. but with 12 people doing a private tour is really the best idea. 12 people can't use a single cab. You can plan some group time and some free time. Rockerfeller center where the christmas tree will be is a zoo.

I'd steer clear of the Rockefeller Tree too but Bryant Park (42nd between 5th & 6th) is a nice alternative IMO. They have a tree there as well, ice skating and holiday shops. And the window displays will be up by then - they're worth checking out. My favorite is usually Lord & Taylor's and Bergdorf's is also always excellent.

My main advice to people who visit NYC is to see the sights yes, but also take some time to get away from the super touristy areas and see the rest of the city. People sometimes visit and say they don't know how anyone could live in NYC and I say that's true if you're talking about Times Square but that there is a lot more to the city than that.

I'd steer clear of the Rockefeller Tree too but Bryant Park (42nd between 5th & 6th) is a nice alternative IMO.

Bryant Park should also have outdoor ice skating less expensive and shorter waiting then at Rockefeller Center. They just took up the rink weekend before last, should be back next year.

The Rockefeller Center tree /skating rink is iconic and known world over. So is St. Patrick's Cathedral and the Saks Fifth Avenue store windows. The OP stated his wife loves Christmas. They should at least give it a try. At least go in the afternoon during the week, if you think it will be too crowded in the evening. Or go around 11 p.m. to see it. jmo

Radio City Music Hall and the famous Rockettes are at Rockefeller Center also.

While you are at Rockefeller Center, you might want to take the NBC Experience Tour, or the elevator to TOP of the Rock. From there you can get photos of the Empire State Building. ESB has special red and green lights during the season.

If your wife loves Christmas, go to Rolf's (German restaurant) for over the top decorations! Sit at the bar and have a drink. It's on 3rd Ave. and I think East 22nd. Then go grab a bite to eat at Molly's (Irish), they have a fireplace to take the chill off. It's on 3rd Ave between East 22nd and East 23rd.

Edited by crazyme5kids

Well this is a draft of what I would do for a 2 day visit in NYC.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion and suggestion. If I got something wrong, feel free to add or correct me.

It is a fast pace visit in order to see the most in a short period of time.

I would go directly to the hotel to drop luggage off. Have a quick breakfast and freshen up. I think by 10 o'clock you should be ready to hit the city.

Subway "B" train to 72st, first stop: Dakota Building ( where John Lennon lost his life ) Actually Yoko Ono still lives there, I walked side by side with her from the building to Strawberry field 2 years ago.

Second stop : Across the street, enter Central Park and walk to your right to Strawberry field, memorial to John Lennon.

Then a 10 minute walk to third stop : the Bethesda Fountain ( use in many films ). Have a look at the ceiling when you go under the Terrace drive. Midway in the stairs leading under the drive, there are public restroom ( small cabins and old school but always clean ).

Then take the walkway right in the middle of the park..."The Mall" going south. This is a beautiful walk with huge trees and a few artists selling their stuff. At the first intersection make a left, then a right, then a left, then a right at the "Balto sculpture" ( sled dog ) in direction of the Central park Zoo. Then exit on 5th ave and 60th.

This quick visit from Dakota building to exit the park should take about 1 hour.

On the corner of 5th and 59th there is FAO toy store for the shoppers. Continue south on fifth. A few blocks down you will have the "Trump Tower" ( public bathroom one level down near the restaurant ). Many stores there for all shoppers.

Again a few blocks down there is the Rockefeller Building on your right. at least have a look at the HUGE tree there and the ice rink. ( again seen in many movies ) I would suggest to buy tickets and go on "The top of the Rock". It is in my opinion the best view of the city, central park and the Empire State Building.

Then I would suggest a quick lunch ( if you are forced to wait a little before your visit to the Top, eat then go up ( if you are all hungry of course ;) )

Then walk a few blocks down to Grand Central Terminal ( movie again ).

Then you have 2 options I would suggest:

1- Getting on the subway and going downtown to Battery Park, visit the WTC memorial, look at the Statue of Liberty from the shore ( you will be close on the ship in 2 days ). Admire Freedom Tower and take a taxi to hotel. ( rooms should be ready and you will all be in need of a little rest and to freshen up )

2- I noticed you are from Canada and maybe you don't feel the urge to visit the WTC memorial and Battery Park. ( you will be close to Freedom Tower and the site on the Gem 2 days later ). So if you prefer, you could get tickets from a Hop on Hop off tour bus for the UPPER city tour. Look at the website and look at the stops for that tour...many are very interesting. Then hotel, check-in, rest a little and change for a night on the town.

So many option for dinner...but I do love Little Italy ( Mulberry st. between Broome and Canal Street ) so many restaurant to choose from. If you would all prefer a night of live entertainment with a little Jazz I can highly recommend the "Jazz Standard/Blue Smoke", the venue is superb and the food is great ( pit bbq style ).

If the weather is nice, end it in Times Square...the lights are amazing.

Ok that is full day,

I will get back to suggest day two later...

now for day 2, my suggestion is :

early rise, walk to Times Square to enjoy a quick breakfast from a coffee shop or something fast. Enjoy the view of Times Square and grab a subway ( N, Q, R, 6 ) to get to SOHO ( SOuth of HOuston ), I suggest Canal st. and Broadway and 2 or 3 blocks east or west of Broadway. I am sure you have shoppers in your group and it could be a nice time to visit the "knockoff" district for some "discounted" Chanel or Mk or Tag or whatever.

Grab a taxi or subway ( N, R ) to Washington square park to visit the Washington square arch ( many movies ).

Jump on the subway again ( N, R ) to Madison Square park to the amazing Flatiron Building. The park is nice and if you are up for amazingly fresh burger, then have a bite at the Shake Shack in the park. From the park you can see the top of the Empire state Building and makes for great photo opps.

Walk to Empire state building and visit if time/interest is there.

Walk to Bryant park, it is a superb park with superb architecture with the public library in the back.

Walk to Times Square and enjoy Mme Tussaud wax museum ( not your typical museum ) or any things you find of interest.

You still have time to get a good dinner and enjoy the town.

The day of departure :

I would suggest to get early to the pier, around 9:30, some might think it is early but I personally prefer to wait on a seat beside the ship for my number to be called to get on the ship instead of waiting in long lines for security, then check-in.

Ask the cab to come from 55th street ( 1 block north of the pier ) so he will access the pier without any wait to drop you off and you will save money from no waiting in traffic coming from the south.

Have fun.

Would any of you recommend one of the bus tours in the summer? Thanks for all those tips. We are visiting this summer. We are staying at a flat near the Waldorf. We already secured tickets to the Statue of Liberty- crown access.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I really enjoyed a few years ago the Grey Line sightseeing tour. They have ( or had ) like 5 different tour. Upper and Lower are a must I think. The Brooklyn loop has an interesting path and the city lights by night must look really great on a clear night.

They run very often and I would use them again if I needed a guided tour.

It depends on what view you want ?

Times Square ?

Downtown ?

Statue of Liberty ?

Central Park ?

An amazing park with great architecture ?