Figuring out which Priceline hotel I'll get? Possible???

teejgee

Hi. Just reading some threads on Priceline, so I'm intregued but curious: Is there any way I can figure out which hotel I'll get before buying? I understand that purchases are final, so I want to take the extra steps to ensure we're happy with what we get.

There is not 100% way to know. The Betterbidding site can definitely

help but to tell you there is 100% chance of getting the hotel you want?

That would be an untruth.

Sometimes Priceline 'Express Deals' can give an indication of which hotel will be won using the bidding 'Name your price' feature, but this is not guaranteed.

Hotwire provides trip advisor ratings and is easier to verify features and zones, but is usually a little higher than Priceline and sometimes substantially higher. Hotwire is also easier to get the bedding you want as Priceline rooms only accommodate 2 guests, which can be one double bed at minimum.

By putting 2 Adults/ 2 children in Hotwire, for instance, they would have to give at least 2 beds to accommodate. This can be done even if you are just 2 and want to guarantee 2 beds.

Risk is reduced in higher categories of rooms or in zones that are more definite and exact or where there are few hotels that might win.

For example, while I used to use Priceline 4 star for Ft. Lauderdale as it was pretty easy to determine that it would be the Renaissance, my preferred hotel, they have moved the Hilton Marina into that category and zone and it is now the most likely 4 star for Las Olas/Downtown bids.

Hi. Just reading some threads on Priceline, so I'm intregued but curious: Is there any way I can figure out which hotel I'll get before buying? I understand that purchases are final, so I want to take the extra steps to ensure we're happy with what we get.

No. There is absolutely no way to figure out what hotel you'll get because priceline adds and takes away hotels every day in every category in every city.

You can narrow down your options by spending a couple hours ready http://www.BetterBidding.com and http://www.BiddingForTravel.com. You'll also keep from overspending.

If you want to be sure you are happy with the hotel do not use Priceline. You have to take what they give you......sometimes good and sometimes not.

I recently booked a 4* on priceline for Apr 6, 14 and ended up at the JW Marriott.

http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com is another good source for seeing what hotels are available. There's always risk and there's no sure fire way of knowing for certain 100% what you'll get. BUT... you can usually get it right most of the time, and you'll certainly know the calibre of hotel you'll get. Just remember that Priceline reservations are non-refundable, so don't be too disappointed if you don't get what you were expecting.

Since I discovered LMT Club (LastMinuteTravel), I don't bother with Priceline. Because you get super low rates, you get to choose your hotel and bedding preference plus it is refundable.

I agree completely. LMT is my new best friend.

www.hoteldealsrevealed.com is another good source for seeing what hotels are available. There's always risk and there's no sure fire way of knowing for certain 100% what you'll get. BUT... you can usually get it right most of the time, and you'll certainly know the calibre of hotel you'll get. Just remember that Priceline reservations are non-refundable, so don't be too disappointed if you don't get what you were expecting.

WOW..that is a great website:D...all kinds of things come up.

Thank you:)

How much was the room and what zone was it?

Perhaps my deal was a bit different. But here goes. Its in the downtown district, where you want to be if you want to be close to the port of Miami. Go on Priceline, and click on "Express Deals". Put in your information and you will be given a list of hotels and PRICES in various locations around town. There is a search function where you can click on the part of town you wish to stay, airport, downtown, etc. Again, choose downtown if you want to be near the cruise port. That will limit your choices to 6 hotels. From there, make a your selection by *'s and price. This isn't the traditional way to get a room from priceline. But I had a $100 credit thru priceline that could only be used this way. I forgot which hotel the ***1/2 star listing is but its on the other side of a freeway and seems a ways from the downtown area. I'd give you the price, but last time I did on this site, the post was deleted by the mods.

Express Deals choice on Priceline is totally different than the bidding choice.

I agree that I like LMTclub. teejgee, go to Lastminutetravel.com and search the site for an offer to join the LMTCLUB for free. Join up. And then when you hunt for deals the hotel names and prices will be exposed. I joined over a year ago and my "membership" still is in effect. No charge.

If you fear joining any clubs, that's ok. Hunt on their home site and if you see something interesting you can call and they sometimes will help you a bit identifying the hotels and WILL offer about a 10% discount.

You have to realize too that PL offers the best deals during off peak days. If you read that someone got a great hotel for August in Ft L, don't think you will get the same pricing in Feb and March. Lots of people think it's the answer to all their budget woes. NOT on a Sat. night in peak season.:D So do your research on the bidding sites mentioned as well as knowing the rack rates on the night you need before bidding.

Edited by eandj

Since I discovered LMT Club (LastMinuteTravel), I don't bother with Priceline. Because you get super low rates, you get to choose your hotel and bedding preference plus it is refundable.

Agree with you. Have booked with them several times and had to cancel twice. No problem with cancellation and credit showed on my credit card within 3 days.

Just booked for next March and the rate was between 40-50% off the price on the hotel's website...can't beat that:D

The worse thing with Priceline is A. Hotels can be strict with more than 2 people in a room with a Priceline reservation B. You'll think you've gotten a great deal and then realize the hotel they gave you has a high parking fee or a resort fee of some sort.

Then again, I've gotten some pretty great deals as well so I've won way more than I've lost with Priceline.

I have had great success with priceline. Only once have I had a problem and it was my fault as I put in the wrong zone.

You can usually get a pretty good idea if you look at the star level and zone as to which hotel/ hotels you will get. Just do the research and be comfortable with those hotels.

The worse thing with Priceline is A. Hotels can be strict with more than 2 people in a room with a Priceline reservation B. You'll think you've gotten a great deal and then realize the hotel they gave you has a high parking fee or a resort fee of some sort.

Then again, I've gotten some pretty great deals as well so I've won way more than I've lost with Priceline.

A. If you read Priceline's policy, the rooms are guaranteed ONLY for two people. If one books on PL with more than 2 poeple, yes, the hotel is not responsible for finding a differnt room. 4 people in one queen bed can be crowded.:D Which is why one needs to read the policy.B. With PL you are booking a room. Not parking. They can charge whatever for parking. And any resort fees added on to any of their rooms will be added to your room at the hotel desk. No matter where you book the room. That's why one needs to research the possible hotels before booking.

Edited by eandj

You can usually get a pretty good idea if you look at the star level and zone as to which hotel/ hotels you will get. Just do the research and be comfortable with those hotels.

YES!!!!!! This is the KEY! :) Do the research and know the area. If there's even one hotel in the possiblities that you wouldn't want, then don't use PL.

A. If you read Priceline's policy, the rooms are guaranteed ONLY for two people. If one books on PL with more than 2 poeple, yes, the hotel is not responsible for finding a differnt room. 4 people in one queen bed can be crowded.:D Which is why one needs to read the policy.B. With PL you are booking a room. Not parking. They can charge whatever for parking. And any resort fees added on to any of their rooms will be added to your room at the hotel desk. No matter where you book the room. That's why one needs to research the possible hotels before booking.

Oh trust me I know, I've booked so many rooms through Pricline bidding I've lost count. Just fare warning for anybody who tries to do it. It's usually for me and the wife, so it's all good.

http://www.hoteldealsrevealed.com is another good source for seeing what hotels are available. There's always risk and there's no sure fire way of knowing for certain 100% what you'll get. BUT... you can usually get it right most of the time, and you'll certainly know the calibre of hotel you'll get. Just remember that Priceline reservations are non-refundable, so don't be too disappointed if you don't get what you were expecting.

+1 I like this site, but as many have said, you're gambling on hotel discounts when you buy on Priceline. For me, I strongly suggest only using Priceline if the discount is worth the risk. So don't waste your time if you're only saving $10 or so. Put in a low ball offer (like 50%), so even if its not quite the hotel you wanted, you're still saving a ton of money.

Hotwire is a little riskier, but still some risk, so look for a 25% or greater discount there.