Glacier Bay in May?

Kesstral

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking at a last minute cruise on NCL in May that happens to go to Glacier Bay. I've cruised to Alaska the last two years but only to Tracy Arm so I'm really interested in Glacier Bay as a new location. Since we're going so early in the season ice was a huge issue in Tracy Arm so we never got that close to the Sawyer glacier. In fact this is what it looked like last year on max zoom:

th_689db305-99ff-490b-a492-7491e163efe1_zpsc94c5cda.jpg

Will Glacier Bay be a better experience in May and are there more than one glaciers to see?

There are several glaciers in Glacier Bay. We've been in May a few times (twice have been the first week of May, IIRC) and always gotten lots of glacier viewing.

The two areas are very different in their geography. Ice is not nearly the concern in Glacier Bay that it is in Tracy Arm Fjord. TA is very narrow and ice can clog up the water, whereas Glacier Bay is much MUCH wider. I hope that comment makes sense ;)

We have been to Glacier Bay twice in very early May (second week), both last year and in 2010. Both times, we had sunny and beautiful weather, and the glacier viewing was superb. There are many, many glaciers to see in Glacier Bay and you often are quite close to them. It is spectacular. I hope you have a great visit to Glacier Bay.

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking at a last minute cruise on NCL in May that happens to go to Glacier Bay. I've cruised to Alaska the last two years but only to Tracy Arm so I'm really interested in Glacier Bay as a new location. Since we're going so early in the season ice was a huge issue in Tracy Arm so we never got that close to the Sawyer glacier. In fact this is what it looked like last year on max zoom:

th_689db305-99ff-490b-a492-7491e163efe1_zpsc94c5cda.jpg

Will Glacier Bay be a better experience in May and are there more than one glaciers to see?

Marjerie (sp?) glacier was spectacular! The Pearl got pretty close. Then, the captain turns the ship, so the other side can see....

Last year, first week of May, Glacier Bay day was cold, raining and grey the entire day. All of my photos are "fifty shades of grey!" But it was an incredible day nonetheless.

Be sure to take a waterproof jacket, and maybe a rain poncho, too. I stood on deck for a couple of hours until my waterproof jacket leaked at the shoulder seams. Then I moved to my aft-wrap balcony, which paid for itself that day!

Glacier Bay is amazing, regardless of the weather!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm not worried about the weather since May in Alaska is pretty much what I'm used to for winter/early spring here in Vancouver so I'm already well outfitted. Glad to hear there are no accessibility issues for the ships in May and there is more than one glacier to see. After Tracy Arm twice in two years I'm ready for a scenery change. :)

• 1 month later...

In the 20 years, I've been visiting Glacier Bay, it has never been inaccessible.

You will see at least 4 glaciers along with the opportunity for varied wildlife IF you invest the time looking, with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. It is superior to move about the ship if your priority is to see as much as possible.