Disney Food. Dear Mickey...

e2011

Food on Celebrity Infinity was very good, hot. Service is better on DCL though. Celebrity has a location near the pool where they serve healthy options for lunch made fresh while you wait (salmon, etc). Their equivalent of the Cove Cafe munchies are AMAZING. Dining room wasn't as much fun as DCL, but food quality was great. And their brunch is roughly the equivalent of Palo brunch, but no upcharge for it.

And, real Splenda, not a cheaper knock-off that has a chemical after taste. Here's hoping DCL has gone back to the real stuff again!

Food on Celebrity Infinity was very good' date=' hot. Service is better on DCL though. Celebrity has a location near the pool where they serve healthy options for lunch made fresh while you wait (salmon, etc). Their equivalent of the Cove Cafe munchies are AMAZING. Dining room wasn't as much fun as DCL, but food quality was great. And their brunch is roughly the equivalent of Palo brunch, but no upcharge for it.

And, real Splenda, not a cheaper knock-off that has a chemical after taste. Here's hoping DCL has gone back to the real stuff again![/quote']

I know everyone shudders and gags when Carnival is mentioned, but one of the BEST things about them are the stations they have for food near the buffets. Hot or cold, freshly made sandwich station...while you wait, choice of bread or rolls, to your specifications....and they have a lot of salads you wouldn't find elsewhere. Plus the Indian station, among others.

And I like their main dining menus, the way they're split in two....one side has all of the "new" meals for the evening, and the other has a side with "favorites" or home cooked....spaghetti, burgers, chicken....that way if I want something simple, I don't feel as though I'm putting someone out by asking for something off the menu.

I see now that DCL did add the area where you can get a wrap or a salad...but it's so small and always a line.

Plus the Indian station, among others.

I see now that DCL did add the area where you can get a wrap or a salad...but it's so small and always a line.

Now that is where DCL has missed a trick! At the quick serve counters.

Serving Asian and Indian cuisine! Small and easily disposable cardboard boxes to fill up with noodles, rice and spring rolls, naan bread, aloo sag, onion bahjia, dim sum, prawn crackers etc.

Quick easy and cheap to do.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

But they aren't fresh and no one knows how long they've been sitting there...and not nearly as good as some other lines!

On either DCL or Carnival, any food would only be permitted to be in the environment that USPH deem suitable.

ex techie

On either DCL or Carnival, any food would only be permitted to be in the environment that USPH deem suitable.

ex techie

True...but it sure looks better when you see them preparing it in front of you (other line) rather than getting it out of the refrigerated case. I don't doubt that it's safe--DCL is way more strict on that than I am at home (for example, they can only keep soup for 4 hours!)....but it just doesn't look or seem as good when it isn't freshly prepared.

With DCL's system and long line of people waiting, they can't do it freshly made.

But they aren't fresh and no one knows how long they've been sitting there...and not nearly as good as some other lines!

Yes, I love going up and getting a fresh reuben or hot turkey, and watching them make them with whatever I want on them!

True...but it sure looks better when you see them preparing it in front of you (other line) rather than getting it out of the refrigerated case. I don't doubt that it's safe--DCL is way more strict on that than I am at home (for example' date=' they can only keep soup for 4 hours!)....but it just doesn't look or seem as good when it isn't freshly prepared.

With DCL's system and long line of people waiting, they can't do it freshly made.[/quote']

The issue is DCL shoreside are too lazy and have to know right to change things.

On the ship/s with just a crew of 6 so 3 staterooms they could change anyone of those quick serve venues to provide a facility equal to a Subway or Quiznos or whatever even when they are at their busiest.

The issue is them appropriating the funds to do it, and then spending 3-4 years arguing, sorry discussing and listening to everyones valuable input, over what name to call it and then another year about the font to use on the menu.

Only then ask USPH if they can use this that and the other equipment, that was spec'd 5 years ago that now is out of date and doesn't meet USPH standards now. Back to square one.

Shoreside and the "Imagineer's" are the best and biggest problem or challenge (as they like to call it) for DCL, and I would think so for the parks.

They know best, all have a different business unit with cost's appropriated to them, overcharge each other so the cost is prohibitive to undertake even the most minor of change, and stop so many ideas that could enhance the guest experience from happening from them on the ship that actually have to do it.

Just bureaucracy and ego's at their finest.

ex techie

I like Animators Palate the best. We didnt care for the Enchanted Garden. I think desserts in DCL were better than RCI, especially the Mickey bars. We liked food in general better on RCI though, even though I agree RCI coffee is awful. I also missed having a buffet choice for dinner espcially with tired kids. And I didn't think buffet was open long enough at luchtime since we are late "lunchers".

Interesting if you read over time' date=' on NCL boards, many there are not happy at all with the MDR and many of the out restaurants.

Never had a problem on DCL, the food has always been excellent.

However, as previously noted food is very subjective.

AKK[/quote']

Definitly, subjective is the key word here. As another poster mentioned, two people can be eating the same thing on the same ship at the same time and both will have different opinions. I read the OP review the other day, and it is a good review well worth reading, but with that said, I have read of others that cruised on the same ship and complained about the food. To each their own!

For me I loved the food on DCL, except for the Royal Palace, because I just don't like french food, at all. Over all the hubby and I are not fancy eaters and prefered Cabana's. Our grown daughters are a different story, they liked the RP but absolutely loved Remy and still talk about it amost a year later. I also do not recall receiving my food in the MDR's cold either.

I have not sailed on the Getaway but have on the Gem and Epic. I liked the food, but can not say that I liked it better then Disney. Both have hit and misses just like any land restaurant.

Edited by Irene7

Definitly, subjective is the key word here. As another poster mentioned, two people can be eating the same thing on the same ship at the same time and both will have different opinions. I read the OP review the other day, and it is a good review well worth reading, but with that said, I have read of others that cruised on the same ship and complained about the food. To each their own!

For me I loved the food on DCL, except for the Royal Palace, because I just don't like french food, at all. Over all the hubby and I are not fancy eaters and prefered Cabana's. Our grown daughters are a different story, they liked the RP but absolutely loved Remy and still talk about it amost a year later. I also do not recall receiving my food in the MDR's cold either.

I have not sailed on the Getaway but have on the Gem and Epic. I liked the food, but can not say that I liked it better then Disney. Both have hit and misses just like any land restaurant.

:D:D:D......Totally agreed!

AKK

I would certainly hope that if I'm paying $75 per meal, I'd REALLY be served excellent food!! Anywhere.....not just on a cruise ship.:eek:

V+A is not quite the same as Remy, primarily due to the much more dynamic menu and by necessity fresher ingredients used, but there are lots of similarities.

You do have to factor in the element it replaces one dinner in the MDR, so lets call the actual value $95 - still a difference.

Victoria and Albert (essentially the same as Remy) STARTS at $135 per person.

I would certainly hope that if I'm paying $75 per meal, I'd REALLY be served excellent food!! Anywhere.....not just on a cruise ship.:eek:

I have paid even more in a land based restaurant and HATED the food.

Edited by Irene7

Many, many times in my life I've had the experience of really fine dining...but honestly, I can't justify paying $50, $75 or more for one meal that I'm only going to enjoy for the time it takes to chew it...and then just p**p it out the next day.

Obviously, I'm not a "foodie"....and you'll find me up there in line with Skipper, getting a Brat.

I was actually pleasantly suprised with the food on our Fantasy cruise in jan.! After reading all the reviews on here about the food I was REALLY worried about the food since I love food! lol. To my suprise (after reading these boards) The food in the main dining rooms was OUTSTANDING! Every bit as good as RCCL! Looking forweard to doing another disney cruise in the next few years when we can afford it again! lol

I was actually pleasantly suprised with the food on our Fantasy cruise in jan.! After reading all the reviews on here about the food I was REALLY worried about the food since I love food! lol. To my suprise (after reading these boards) The food in the main dining rooms was OUTSTANDING! Every bit as good as RCCL! Looking forweard to doing another disney cruise in the next few years when we can afford it again! lol

I think a lot has to do with the server--how quick he/she is, how long the food sits, etc. My memory of our food on the Fantasy was that it was quite good. On our B2B Magic cruises last summer, the first leg food was always cold and honestly, I don't think the server cared at all. We requested a different server for the second leg and the food improved tremendously. Our friends had some family members join the group for the second leg; they felt the service was slow. They couldn't believe it when we told them how much better it was on that second leg.

Odd too...first leg we were a group of 4. Second leg we were a group of 9. I would have thought the bigger group would have been more difficult.