wine in the box

plumeria

Just wondering if you all know, that wine is best stored and served from screw bottles than corked bottles. In Reims the Champagne region of France they have carried out many studies on the matter, but they say that the final answer lies with the punter. And apparently we want corks! We are fickle!

:cool: :cool:

Would someone please pour me a glass of "two buck Chuck"?

How about "buck-five come alive" or "Ruby rouge" or "zing cawtaba":D Great wines all!!! Seriously, the wine industry is committed to eliminating corks. The spoilage rate with corks is just too high (slightly over 10%) and twist tops will also cut costs. They have actually wanted to do this for a long time and are forging ahead. As for the OP, I think boxed wines are fine, we use them for large family gatherings and they are very convenient. I wouldn't hesitate to take them on a cruise.

By the way, Dave, I was teasing in my last post - just to clarify. :) Darn computers and message boards - you can't add inflection to your posts.

In regard to the screwtops, I'm wondering why more wineries don't just use the "plastic" type corks. Wouldn't that solve the taint problem, but still adequately seal the wine? Regardless, RH Phillips winery has a link to a website called "corkamnesty.com"; it's dedicated to educating people about cork taint, in an effort to convince the masses that corks should be done away with. Does anyone think that will ever happen entirely? I wonder if some wineries will go ahead and use the plastic corks instead.

Both Banrock Station and Hardy's which are two quality vinyards in Australia sell their wine in boxes.

Good wine and great for someone who doesn't want to be pressed to finish a bottle before it goes bad.

CaptainG

Where did you find these 2 wines?

By the way, Dave, I was teasing in my last post - just to clarify. :) Darn computers and message boards - you can't add inflection to your posts.

In regard to the screwtops, I'm wondering why more wineries don't just use the "plastic" type corks. Wouldn't that solve the taint problem, but still adequately seal the wine?

Good cork can still be found - you don't see 10% of Chateau Margaux suffering from cork "taint" but good cork has also gotten very expensive, Still, I think I'd rather have stelsen/screwcap closures than plastic - plastic makes me think of cheap "champagne" :rolleyes:

LuAnn,

Both of these are available at almost any liquor store or wine shop around here. A box of Shiraz, Merlot or Cabernet goes for $14 to $17 depending on the store. The boxes are 3000ml or equal to 4 bottles.

CaptainG

Newbie,

I was recently reading about a port and I think it was Philly, anyway, it stated that wine was not allowed on what other line was there but was premitted on X.

They assume you will be bringing it for the dining room and paying the corkage fee.

By the way, on Horizon a few months ago, the bar manager said he was going to stop the b2b'ers from buying in the store on board, picking it up after the 1st cruise and taking it to their rooms for the 2nd. If they were b2ber's they would have to pick it up at the end of all cruises. Don't know if that ever happened but it was on one of those cruises that had gotten so cheap that we had more 'brown baggers' than I've ever seen! And 600+ B2BER'S!:eek:

This is an oldie but I thought it appropriate for this thread:

WAL-MART Wine

Wal-Mart announced that they will soon be offering customers a new discount item. Wal-Mart's own brand of wine.

The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with E&J Gallo Winery of California, to produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $1-3 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Wal-Mart brand into their shopping carts, but "there is a market for cheap wine", said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing. She said: "But the right name is important."

Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the Wal-Mart brand.

The top surveyed names in order of popularity are:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc

9. White Trashfindel

8. Big Red Gulp

7. World Championship Riesling

6. NASCARbernet

5. Chef Boyardeaux

4. Peanut Noir

3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vin! egar!

2. Grape Expectations

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine:

1. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).

Now how's that for one stop shopping?

This is an oldie but I thought it appropriate for this thread:

WAL-MART Wine

Wal-Mart announced that they will soon be offering customers a new discount item. Wal-Mart's own brand of wine.

The world's largest retail chain is teaming up with E&J Gallo Winery of California, to produce the spirits at an affordable price, in the $1-3 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to throw a bottle of Wal-Mart brand into their shopping carts, but "there is a market for cheap wine", said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing. She said: "But the right name is important."

Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the Wal-Mart brand.

The top surveyed names in order of popularity are:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc

9. White Trashfindel

8. Big Red Gulp

7. World Championship Riesling

6. NASCARbernet

5. Chef Boyardeaux

4. Peanut Noir

3. I Can't Believe It's Not Vin! egar!

2. Grape Expectations

And the number 1 name for Wal-Mart Wine:

1. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).

Now how's that for one stop shopping?

:cool: :cool:

I love these things about Wal-Mart. Sam Walton didn’t make me extremely rich, but shall we say, very comfortable.

This whole thread strikes me as humorous. How a wine is packaged is a whole different issue from what is in that package. Some of the best wines are now packaged with screwtops because they are better closures with none of the risk of having a "corked" (tainted by bad cork) bottle. The faux corks are often hard to pull out and don't have that great pop, so why bother with them (although that's a rapidly growing "solution" to cork problems). It isn't just a "better cork" issue, either -- even the best wines with the most expensive cork are exposed to the risk of being "corked" because it's something that arises from causes other than cork quality alone.

Boxes are undeniably convenient. Not one is packed with particularly good wine. That doesn't mean it isn't drinkable -- or better -- but you cannot compare any premium wine to a bulk wine, whether in a jug or in a box. These are entirely different market segments meant for different occasions or audiences. If one chooses to pay the price for a premium wine and selects carefully, he or she will undoubtedly get a "better" (but not necessarily more appreciated or enjoyed) wine.

As to carrying on wine, I brought nine bottles with me two weeks ago -- six 750ml bottles and two dessert wines in a six-bottle wine carrier box and one more as a gift in my daypack -- and not a word was said. This was my experience last year, too. Celebrity has a pretty clear policy on this and they are fair with it -- of course, the sommeliers are very good at making sure that corkage fees are charged.

[quote name='dedlaw'] As to carrying on wine, I brought nine bottles with me two weeks ago -- six 750ml bottles and two dessert wines in a six-bottle wine carrier box and one more as a gift in my daypack -- and not a word was said. This was my experience last year, too. Celebrity has a pretty clear policy on this and they are fair with it -- of course, the sommeliers are very good at making sure that corkage fees are charged.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the info ...
I have several bottles of wine that we were saving for special occasions and having them onboard during dinner may be the way to go. I know the charge is $15 per bottle but what is this fee for ? Do you tip in addition to this fee? How do you go about getting the wine from my cabin to the dining room ? Do they chill the wine to the proper temperature ? etc ... any other info would be very useful ...
We keep looking at the wine carriers and now I have the perfect reason to get one ... :D ... Thanks much ....

Daisy,

Your cabin steward or butler will take the wine to the dining room for you. There it will be chilled, or not, as the wine requires and served to you at your table as would a wine you had purchased from the wine list.

The corkage includes the 15% gratuity as do all wine and bar dealings. If you are having wine several nights and feel the service deserves it, then giving him an envelope on tip night is appropriate!

Enjoy your cruise and your wine!:D

DaisyL: I have always brought the wine with me to the dining room each night, but as tuggers suggests there are other means of doing this. When we board, we have cabin steward clean out the minibar, so there is room to chill white wines as well as bottled water. I have witnessed some confusion when wines are sent to the dining room. I usually check menu each day to see whether we'll want a white or a red. On cruise two weeks ago, sommelier uncorked and poured the wine, typical services. Only disappointment was that on final formal night, we were not attended to (and I mean bottle wasn't even opened) until entrees had been served. We had ordered wine from menu or had it opened from our stash by sommelier every night, so waiting for her to serve only those who drank wine on formal nights was rather disappointing. Also, you will find that virtually all of the sommeliers on these ships (all Europeans) look down at California wines, as I believe they are trained to do.

That has not been my experience with the sommeliers. In fact after tasting some things I had brought I have had them come back to the table and write down what I was drinking. May just have just been a tip enhancer but nice just the same!

[quote name='dedlaw']Also, you will find that virtually all of the sommeliers on these ships (all Europeans) look down at California wines, as I believe they are trained to do.[/QUOTE]

Having worked in the hotel and restaurant industry for over 10 years, I find this hard to believe. Personal preference is one thing, but I don't think ANY institution would actually train its sommeliers to "look down" on a particular wine region. On the contrary, most sommeliers I know are always excited to learn about new wines/regions with which they are unfamiliar, even those sommeliers who are of European descent.

Regardless, one should NEVER feel that a sommelier is "looking down" on your particular wine choice. Even if he/she actually does hate the wine you have chosen, proper etiquette for any sommelier would be to politely perform his/her duty, and leave the guests to enjoy their wine in peace. It is unfortunate if you felt as if they did not approve of your wine.

I had a thought that was rather amusing. In regard to the sommelier not looking down on your wines, and since this thread was originally in regard to boxed wines, I should note that it might be asking a bit much of a sommelier to require him to serve a boxed wine with a straight face. After all, they are wine experts, not actors....:p

And before I get flamed, know that I am only slightly serious, and slightly joking. (No need to lecture me on the merits of boxed wine! :) ) Besides, I did talk to the sommeliers at our local specialty wine retailer this weekend, and I told them about this debate on boxed wines - just to see their reaction. They all laughed. ;) I believe the quote was, "Yes, February was SUCH a good month!" I thought it was amusing, anyway...

When I say they have "looked down" on California wines, it is NEVER quite so direct. It is more of "that is very typical of a California wine," and then they'll comment on a trait which they may not like very much, but always in a sort of vague way. And maybe I overreached in saying they're trained to dislike California wines -- it may be that they are trained to really like European styles of wine-making (which I, too, enjoy). This comes out in any wine tasting offered on board. Sadly, Europe is following our lead -- now we're seeing Italian and French wines labeled as merlot or cabernet, rather than bordeaux, chianti, etc. And, they're trying to make big, alcoholic wines to cater to our large market.

To get this COMPLETELY off track, has anyone checked out the onboard wine auctions? I had to laugh at the advertising which "bragged" that the wines being auctioned were not available in the U.S. -- how could any decent wine, with enough production to be available through such auctions, not be available in the U.S.? Maybe the question is, are these decent wines?

[quote name='dedlaw']... has anyone checked out the onboard wine auctions? I had to laugh at the advertising which "bragged" that the wines being auctioned were not available in the U.S. -- how could any decent wine, with enough production to be available through such auctions, not be available in the U.S.? Maybe the question is, are these decent wines?[/QUOTE]

Why laugh? It's entirely possible that these wines AREN'T available in the U.S. There are thousands of smaller wineries around the world that don't produce enough cases to merit export to the United States. After all, there is a huge wine drinking population outside of our country! ;) Also, just because a winery is small doesn't mean that it isn't producing "decent" wine. Besides, we don't know how many bottles of these wines are being auctioned off by Celebrity. It could be only several cases, which should be easy enough for Celebrity's sommeliers to obtain from any winery.

I would think that this would be the point of these wine auctions, though - to introduce and offer wines that aren't well-known or even easily obtainable in the U.S. Why bid on a wine that you could get at your local grocery store?
As for the actual quality of these wines, it will be interesting to find that out. I wouldn't doubt that they are quite good. This is one of the best things about wine, in my opinion - to continue learning and discovering new wines and wineries! Makes life interesting...

Ekaj, anything could be good -- and you're right that a great delight is finding something new and delicious, maybe something you'd never even heard of before. And living in an area where there are dozens of tiny wineries among the giants, it's also true that some are so small to make it uneconomical to establish large distribution channels.

That said, it has to be expensive to get these wines onto various ships and cover the expense of the two or three people who organize the few auctions held during the week. As for acquiring any wine during an auction, I often bid on wines I can get at the grocery -- if I can get a good price (or, if I like the charity running the auction). But why would I bid on anything -- wine, jewelry, art, etc. -- if I knew nothing about it, other than, say, that the wine is from Tuscany or wherever? In fact, I went to Michael's Club to observe one of the wine auctions (I wanted to hear what they said about the wines) -- I sat away from the auctioneers, reading a book. Nobody showed up and the auction was canceled.

I don't doubt that some of these are good wines -- but it is hard to know values of unknown items, and the heat of an auction process can cause many to lose their heads (winning IS everything feelings take over).

Archived