Caribbean Princess unable to leave port today :(

mjrich73

We are aboard the ship now and were just informed that due to a collision in the channel, the port is closed and we will not be leaving today. We should have more info before 8 am tomorrow.

By tomorrow, it will probably be foggy.

I wonder when they will run out of texas-sourced liquor?

It seems like Houston was the second worst choice princess has

made. (First was crown bay)

All depends if the barge is in main lane of channel or shallower barge lane or across main channel. Ideally it's in barge lane and they can let CB out tomorrow. A closed channel in Houston is a huge problem especially when delays last a few days.

Yeah, it just showed on the local news in Houston that the whole port is closed due to the collision and oil spill. It also appears to be foggy which could also be an issue in them getting out.

Meredith

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9476801

Local article above reports this affecting Galveston cruise ships as well - Not just a Bayport / Princess issue.

Sad situation. Strangely a Barge from same company was involved in a collision with a ship just 6 days earlier in same proximity but was lucky in that no spill resulted that time.

Houston Channel 13 just announced that cruise ships are not being allowed to dock in Galveston as Coast Guard will not allow them past the spill. Both Carnival Magic and Navigator of the Seas are anchored off of Galveston.

While all of the talk is that this happened near the Texas City Dyke that puts it close to Pelican Island and the entrance to the Galveston Port Channel.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9476801

Local article above reports this affecting Galveston cruise ships as well - Not just a Bayport / Princess issue.

Sad situation. Strangely a Barge from same company was involved in a collision with a ship just 6 days earlier in same proximity but was lucky in that no spill resulted that time.

We were on CB enjoying break when crash last week happened...wow two in a week is not good. I suppose some pilots and captains will be sitting in Fromm of USCG investigators defending their licenses soon.

No update from the captain yet. My aunt says she saw it on the news in Indiana. I don't feel like we're going anywhere soon... Oh well. We've got yummy food and good entertainment.

Glad you are still having a good time. You've got a great vacation attitude!

I'm following this story closely. I'm looking forward to this cruise next month!

Edited by slc22

We just received another update from the Captain. We are to remain put. Our itinerary will def be affected if we can't leave by noon. And I don't think we will. I'm starting to really regret picking this cruise. Had a great time last night, but this mornings news has really disappointed us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm on the ship. Captain's update at 9:00 was that we may be able to leave this afternoon. He gets hourly updates from the Coast Guard and they are still cleaning up the oil before they try to move the barge, which is blocking the channel. If we leave by mid-day the itinerary will stay the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the ship. Captain's update at 9:00 was that we may be able to leave this afternoon. He gets hourly updates from the Coast Guard and they are still cleaning up the oil before they try to move the barge, which is blocking the channel. If we leave by mid-day the itinerary will stay the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe still get to all ports but no way y'all would get to Cozumel at original planned time tomorrow morning...ship can't go that fast. Hopefully whenever y'all sail it's possible to still get full time at all three ports.

Just saw the latest news report and now they are trying to minimize oil spill and environmental impact, putting out booms etc. I don't think this ship will be able to get out at all. They may just have to cancel cruise and get pax off the ship. Feel bad as this is a big spring break week and everyone looking forward to cruise. :(

Edited by spyro1952

Just saw the latest news report and now they are trying to minimize oil spill and environmental impact, putting out booms etc. I don't think this ship will be able to get out at all. They may just have to cancel cruise and get pax off the ship. Feel bad as this is a big spring break week and everyone looking forward to cruise. :(

It definitely sucks for those whose vacation will be impacted but in all honesty, the cruise ships are probably not the highest priority for the Port of Houston. They are the busiest cargo port in the country, and the impact on the oil industry will be huge if those tankers can't get in. Wonder when our gas prices will go up :confused: This will be a real economic mess if they don't reopen the shipping lanes soon.

Then there are the poor little birds who are going to end up soaked in all this oily goop :(

Its not a good thing when you feel lucky just to make it in or out of port.

I hope this is just an off year for Houston/Galveston weather.

Nothing would frustrate me as to wake up and still be in sitting.

I feel very bad for the passengers aboard and I hope they get going soon and at least make it to Costa Maya ..

Unless they start making more progress, I see this as a possibility. Also, unless they can get the Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships into Galveston, they could possibly be diverted to New Orleans. Just saying..

B