Photo Review of Galley Tour Legend of the Seas

This was a galley tour of the main dining room on Legend of the Seas. It is two separate galleys on decks 4 and 5, aft of the MDR itself. They are connected by elevator, escalator, and stair cases. This was a tour offered as part of the Chefs Table package and was not part of the Behind the Scenes tour. We were greeted by the Head Chef and then separated in to two still large groups.

The galley for the crew is in another area, and the Windjammer galley is separate as well. Since this ship had a forward Windjammer the chef explained that if items are needed from the MDR kitchen they generally go DOWN to the crew passageway (I-95), across the ship, and then back up a service elevator not accessible to guests.

DSCF2903_zps3788f682.jpg

DSCF2905_zpscabbd32d.jpg

DSCF2906_zpsbbc52ddc.jpg

DSCF2908_zps13ad7845.jpg

DSCF2909_zpsdf2de7c1.jpg

DSCF2910_zps8e1d2c34.jpg

Glad you guys have enjoyed. Another interesting thing; liquor is kept under lock and key, and so are cleaning chemicals. They can NOT be accessed except for certain times of the day by certain employees. I saw a number of logs posted on walls with scores relating to food, servers, cleanliness, etc. Food being prepared that day always has stock photos up so presentation is consistent.

The chefs state state that Miami sets the menu and that is final decision always, they really do not want chefs deviating from "plan". The one menu posted was for the nightly Windjammer dinners and what themes they would have. I will have to see if I have a larger file perhaps I can post of that.

Really interesting photos, thanks for sharing! It may be one of the duller photos, but the spreadsheet one was probably the most interesting. It's crazy to see how many elements go into every dinner service and then to see a whole sailing together! I'm amazed those guys don't run off the ship the first day they arrive onboard and see that thing.

Really interesting photos, thanks for sharing! It may be one of the duller photos, but the spreadsheet one was probably the most interesting. It's crazy to see how many elements go into every dinner service and then to see a whole sailing together! I'm amazed those guys don't run off the ship the first day they arrive onboard and see that thing.

I purposely left that one larger so as to be somewhat legible. I had much larger files but re-sized them down before uploading and dumped the megasized ones. I will have to find them on the memory card. They had all 15 or 16 main dining room menus on the wall too but that photo did not come out well at all unfortunately.

Great Photos! We were on Legend on the Feb. 24 11 night sailing. Was that the one you were on? What a great cruise! Crew was spectacular and everything was great. We did Chefs Table too and did the galley tour. Your pics are way better than mine! Have to say, lot's of interesting stuff in there, but I found the "roll making" machine really interesting. You got some great shot of it. But until you see it "in action" you don't really appreciate it.

I was on the 3/7 sailing. Yes, the bread machine was a big hit with everyone. I don't know how expensive that machine is but if you're eying a new Honda Accord I bet that bread machine is an alternative way to spend the money. That machine was really cool.

I don't know how much downtime either kitchen gets between meals; they are basically 24 hour operations though when you factor in cleaning and prep times. Your meal comes from the kitchen of whichever deck you are sat on. Dinner prep begins early morning; also the "Office" is located on Deck 5 where they keep the cleaning logs, have meetings, etc.

The tour was held the morning of the last sea day. The invitation in our cabin said close toed shoes and no skirts or short shorts. 80% of the people turned up in flip flops and shorts and no one was turned away. I would not want to walk in any ships galley without proper footwear myself.

I purposely left that one larger so as to be somewhat legible. I had much larger files but re-sized them down before uploading and dumped the megasized ones. I will have to find them on the memory card. They had all 15 or 16 main dining room menus on the wall too but that photo did not come out well at all unfortunately.

This was part of Chefs Table?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

This was part of Chefs Table?

Part of booking the Chefs Table includes the invitation to the galley tour, but it is a separate time from the dining event. The galley tour was the final sea day in the morning. Guests from each Chefs Table session were invited. This was not announced in the wording of the Chefs Table Package, but we were told at the end of our Chefs Table dinner when our cookbook was presented and then a reminder invitation note was delivered to our stateroom a day or two before the tour. (We did CT on Day 4; galley tour Day 10)

Part of booking the Chefs Table includes the invitation to the galley tour, but it is a separate time from the dining event. The galley tour was the final sea day in the morning. Guests from each Chefs Table session were invited. This was not announced in the wording of the Chefs Table Package, but we were told at the end of our Chefs Table dinner when our cookbook was presented and then a reminder invitation note was delivered to our stateroom a day or two before the tour. (We did CT on Day 4; galley tour Day 10)

Thanks. We just did the CT in the Oasis. My son in law booked it for us at the concierge lounge and did not mention the tour. I would have enjoyed it. We did book it fairly late in the cruise so we might have missed the tour anyways.

Thanks. We just did the CT in the Oasis. My son in law booked it for us at the concierge lounge and did not mention the tour. I would have enjoyed it. We did book it fairly late in the cruise so we might have missed the tour anyways.

It is also possible that they did not even have one. It is my understanding that it was not a regular event but case by case basis. On the normal "Behind the scenes" tour people report seeing the cold and dry storage as well as having some special snacks prepared for them. This tour was none of that, really just the prep and cooking areas for the MDR.

I am glad you found the review enjoyable though and sorry you didn't get a similar experience. Are you doing a write up of your Oasis cruise on this board or the other boards? I'd be curious to read your impressions of your first RCI cruise.

It is also possible that they did not even have one. It is my understanding that it was not a regular event but case by case basis. On the normal "Behind the scenes" tour people report seeing the cold and dry storage as well as having some special snacks prepared for them. This tour was none of that, really just the prep and cooking areas for the MDR.

I am glad you found the review enjoyable though and sorry you didn't get a similar experience. Are you doing a write up of your Oasis cruise on this board or the other boards? I'd be curious to read your impressions of your first RCI cruise.

It's actually our 2nd Royal cruise, did the the Majesty a ways back. Actually I am doing a review, first full review in ages. Almost done, need to add done pictures. It was a very good cruise, the ship (to us) was HUGE. Sailed with a small group, mostly loyal Royal cruisers (son in law is diamond). I will post the review here.

Here is a link to my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013755