Waterproof container for $$$ etc

reaperman

Im always a bit leary of leaving items on the beach while vacationing. In the past, I have always stuffed my money,cc,cruise card inside of two, ziplock baggies and put them in my swimsuit pocket. But everything still gets soaked. I actually have one of those waterproof containers with a strap for personal items but have never used it. Because its hardly waterproof and I really dont trust the latch from opening up in the water. I've looked for a better one without luck. I'd like one that has a latch with two loops that come together so I can put something between the loops (like a small lock or clip) to keep it from opening in the water. Am I being too paranoid, or is there a decent case out there somewhere thats worth buying. I really dont bring alot of $$ along, but I'd hate to loose a CC on vacation or cruise card. Thanks

These are great items for the beach. I have this heavy plastic pouch that has double plastic zip locks about 1/2 inches apart and then folds over and snaps. And it has an adjustable neck string. I found similar items to mine on ebay using "waterproof beach pouch" as my search line. I'm not sure where I got mine but I think it is what you are looking for. Good luck.

There are quite a few waterproof storage devices on the market. Our personal favorite (for many years) which we have routinely used for swimming, snorkeling, and even SCUBA Diving...is called "Splash Caddy." They make several sized but ours is simply a nylon fanny pack (waterproof) which contains a special thick plastic bag (with a triple seal) that is completely waterproof as long as you properly seal the bag).

Here is a link to that device which is available on Amazon (and elsewhere)

http://www.amazon.com/LOKsak-DIPPER-Splash-Caddy-Regatta/dp/B003E2VUIC

Amazon also sells other similar type waterproof containers in other sizes.

Hank

I just wonder why so many folks worry so much about having a waterproof container for credit cards and cash. It's either plastic or a paper that doesn't matter if it gets wet, so why worry about it? I never bother when kayaking, it just goes in my pocket and has never been a problem. Last time I was out I stopped off at the tavern and paid for my beer with a soggy bill, they took it without second glance...

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is my feeling about the oft used "Ziplocks." They are fine if you are just storing cash and plastic cards since, even if they get a little wet it really does not do any harm. But there is the issue of where you put that ziplock when you are in the water as it needs to be in a very secure location so it cannot possibly float away. The reason we prefer the bags that are part of the Splash Caddy system is that they are thicker then ziplocks and have a triple seal system. These bags have been tested to a 200 foot depth and are used by many divers and even some US Navy personnel. But one weakness of any type plastic bag is the ability of the user to properly seal the closure. If we were to use a Ziplock bag we would choose the thicker "freezer bags" and use two bags (putting one inside the other) and carefully sealing both. But unless you have a very secure place to put those bags (such as a large zipper pocket in our swim suit) or a fanny pack that is OK to take in the water, then we would not be satisfied. Bottom line is that one can get surprised in the sea by a sudden wave and find that something they thought was fine being tucked under their suit has been swept away :)

Hank

I also use the Dry Pak Alligator wallet just the right size to hold cash, CCs/IDs etc. I tighten up the cord and do a series of half hitches up my bathing suit shoulder strap. It usually then gets tucked into my top.

My underwater camera is also half-hitched to the same shoulder strap.

I just wonder why so many folks worry so much about having a waterproof container for credit cards and cash. It's either plastic or a paper that doesn't matter if it gets wet, so why worry about it? I never bother when kayaking, it just goes in my pocket and has never been a problem. Last time I was out I stopped off at the tavern and paid for my beer with a soggy bill, they took it without second glance...

Jim

Not so much a concern of dryness but a concern of where to keep the valuables. Women's swimsuits do not have pockets.

I just picked these up at the Travel Goods Show last week.

http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1951&idcategory=120

They are waterproof to three meters. (good enough for snorkeling) They also are essentially dust and sand proof. They make several styles and colors.

They also work for Cell Phones and operate through the plastic. They even now have one big enough for an iPad!!! The pic shows one that allows you to even use headphones with it. (There is a patch cord that goes to the socket, but the socket into the bag is waterproof. And yes there are waterproof headphones out there)

They sell for about $15 from most outdoor stores.

Living in Tucson, with the current drought, I do not have any first hand experience with these as yet. But you can bet I will be taking one on my next cruise to give it the Ultimate Test.

Not so much a concern of dryness but a concern of where to keep the valuables. Women's swimsuits do not have pockets.

Neither do a lot of mens :-) For electronics, waterproof's a necessity, along with some way to keep it on your person. Cash and plastic, no waterproofing needed, so it's more the convenience thing... Although I'm sure *all* of could find somewhere to umm, tuck things away, we don't necessarily want to be seeing that ;-)

In the kayak, I do use a small Dry Seal bag for my phone. Hangs around the neck, allows touch screen operation, waterproof to 10m. Similar items are widely available in sporting goods stores or online. If i ever do a warm-water trip I'd use that but only if something electronic goes to the beach with me.

Jim

Here is my feeling about the oft used "Ziplocks." They are fine if you are just storing cash and plastic cards since, even if they get a little wet it really does not do any harm.
We agree. Our take-ashore valuables are limited to a bit of cash, a credit card, and our ship IDs. I always make sure my husband has a couple pairs of swim trunks with good, solid pockets that close with Velcro. We don't worry about loss of things that are in his pocket, and if these things are a little wet, so what?

We also don't take our good camera ashore -- we buy a couple waterproof disposables for the purpose. They aren't worth stealing.