Cell phone question... NOS/ iphone 5s

Ok, now that we know we are going to sail. I need to know what to set my iPhone 5s too... do I just put it in airplane mode or do I need to do something else?

Thanks!!

If all you are worried about is data, just make sure "data roaming" is off. If you don't want to be able to make or receive any calls, then airplane mode will do it.

If all you are worried about is data, just make sure "data roaming" is off. If you don't want to be able to make or receive any calls, then airplane mode will do it.

Yes, airplane mode.

You can turn on wifi once in airplane mode, just make sure you don't take it out of airplane mode (watch for the little plane icon in the upper left corner... And make sure it stays there....)

So if voice roaming is on will I be charged? or is it just Data roaming where you are charged?

For voice roaming, you are charged only if you make or receive any calls. If the phone never rings and you place no calls, no charges. Be advised, while roaming you will be charged if the phone rings whether you answer or not. For data, again you are only charged if data roaming is on and you use data.

Yes, airplane mode.

You can turn on wifi once in airplane mode, just make sure you don't take it out of airplane mode (watch for the little plane icon in the upper left corner... And make sure it stays there....)

Of course, that will mean no one can reach you in case of emergency. I prefer to leave cellular service on for emergencies.

Of course, that will mean no one can reach you in case of emergency. I prefer to leave cellular service on for emergencies.

If a true emergency, people can call the ship... No chance that I am paying for random calls to my cellphone every time it rings. Turn it off... Disconnect... Be done with it. If people REALLY need to reach you, they call the ship... Same as they have done for decades..

If a true emergency, people can call the ship... No chance that I am paying for random calls to my cellphone every time it rings. Turn it off... Disconnect... Be done with it. If people REALLY need to reach you, they call the ship... Same as they have done for decades..

That's our policy - off and in the room safe. We have phones with us 51 weeks a year, that one week in the Caribbean on a cruise we LIKE having them turned off:D

So if voice roaming is on will I be charged? or is it just Data roaming where you are charged?

Contact your provider to find out what the actual costs will be. Some carriers offer data packages, another carrier has a cruise ship package. Rates are not the same from carrier to carrier.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Whatever works for you, great. I really shouldn't have said I prefer to leave cellular service on because truth be told, I normally leave it off myself. I may turn it on once or twice a day to see if there are any messages (incoming texts are free). However, staying in contact is extremely important to some so I thought it pertinent to point out airplane mode means no one can reach you.

I have used AT&T's cruise package. Worked very well for me. I was able to use up to 50 mins. phone call time and 100mb of text and MMS for $30. Much cheaper then the $2.50 a min. and .50 a text. Just purchase it the month you are going to be gone. And with AT&T you MUST call when you get back to cancel. It does automatically renew if you don't call up to cancel.

I have AT&T. I have international service, but not a package. I don't use it enough while out of the country to justify the cost even for one month. The service I have required the provider to enable it, which also required a credit check. I've used this service for almost ten years. They cannot do this in the store; you must call the customer service department. When I travel internationally, I go into Settings, then Cellular. I turn cellular data off. This allows the phone to work, as well as text messages. Everything else ceases to work. No email, no Facebook, no cruise critic. When I get wifi access, the apps will work. I don't turn cellular data back on until I'm back in the US. I used this for two weeks last fall with the only extra charge on my bill being a handful of calls and texts. Do you know how to make international calls? If not, you may want to read up on that as you have to dial a + first so it's a bit confusing if you've never done it. I always need a reminder since I don't do it frequently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app