Shuttle bus from People Mover in Venice

Ewoodspark

FROM PIAZZALE ROMA

Piazzale Roma is the only part of the city of Venice that can be reached by car. Here information point for public bus and vaporetti, as well as taxi station and guarded parking areas are available.

The cruise and ferry terminals can be reached by:

- People Mover (3 minutes trip). This new public transportation system made of a land funicular, thanks to regular connections guaranteed from 7 AM to 11 PM with a current frequency of 8 minutes, allows to reach ‘Piazzale Roma’ and vice versa in less than 3 minutes. A shuttle bus service is available to connect the terminals 117, 123, Isonzo1 and 2 with the People Mover stop.

Does anybody know who operates the shuttle bus service and if it is currently in operation

Ahhh, we love Italian "shuttle" buses. Sometimes they actually operate quite well (like in the port of Civitavecchia) and other times they seem to be a figment of somebody's imagination. There might be a shuttle bus within the Port of Venice (to the People Mover) but on our 3 visits to that port (since the beginning of the People Mover) we have never seen a shuttle. Perhaps other visitors have had more luck :). For what its worth, the walk between People Mover and ships (or terminals) is not a big deal except for those with physical mobility problems or the "hard core lazy."

Hank

Ahhh, we love Italian "shuttle" buses. Sometimes they actually operate quite well (like in the port of Civitavecchia) and other times they seem to be a figment of somebody's imagination. There might be a shuttle bus within the Port of Venice (to the People Mover) but on our 3 visits to that port (since the beginning of the People Mover) we have never seen a shuttle. Perhaps other visitors have had more luck :). For what its worth, the walk between People Mover and ships (or terminals) is not a big deal except for those with physical mobility problems or the "hard core lazy."

Hank

According to Toms Port Guides it is a fair walk, especially with luggage.

There is a People Mover station in Piazzale Roma. It is fast and

efficient to take the People Mover(PM) to the stop near the Cruise Ship

Terminal, but it's about 1000 foot walk from that PM station to the

entrance to the ship passenger terminal

The terrain is level and paved, shouldn't be a problem for most people if you have wheeled luggage.

A 1,000 foot (not yard) walk should take someone at normal speed about 5-8 minutes.

The terrain is level and paved, shouldn't be a problem for most people if you have wheeled luggage.

A 1,000 foot (not yard) walk should take someone at normal speed about 5-8 minutes.

If I did this transfer on the People Mover and arrived at a station to be faced with a trudge like this lugging suitcases, I really dont think my Wife would entertain the idea at all. Hence, my question about a possible shuttle bus from the People Mover station to the cruise terminal. However, nobody seems able to verify if this is in operation or not

If I did this transfer on the People Mover and arrived at a station to be faced with a trudge like this lugging suitcases, I really dont think my Wife would entertain the idea at all. Hence, my question about a possible shuttle bus from the People Mover station to the cruise terminal. However, nobody seems able to verify if this is in operation or not

I'll verify I've never seen or heard mention of a shuttle between any terminal and the People Mover (PM). Last October our ship's terminal was a bit under a 1km walk from the PM. Google Maps shows the furthest terminal at more than 1.1km from the PM.

We always take a taxi from our hotel in Mestre directly to the terminal. I suggest you plan on doing the same from wherever you might be staying.

Lew

We were there last June, when it was pretty warm. The People Mover was a pain in the ass. I wish we had just walked all the way from the ship to Piazzale Roma. We almost did, but one of the 4 people in our group was older and didn't have the better spinner luggage we had and he was wearing out.

With so many people getting off the ship around the same time, the crowd at the platform for the People Mover was big. Then the escalator broke down, so we were all lugging out heavy bags up the steps. There was an elevator but it only holds a few people and there were like 100 people trying to catch the People Mover. When the first cars arrived the first wave packed in. We couldn't get that one. When the next cars arrived going the opposite direction, we got on just to make sure we could. It goes to the outer stop (that no one uses) and then back to the middle stop near the port where another wave packed in like sardines. Then finally the last stop at Piazzale Roma.

On top of all that, it had to be 110 degrees inside that train car. It was probably 80 degrees outside but that train car was like a sauna.

From Piazzale Roma we caught the #1 Vaporetto down the Grand Canal to San Marco closest to our hotel. Boat was so packed we weren't able to get to our luggage in time to shove our way off (needed to shove our way through sooner). Got off on the next stop and backtracked, with heavy luggage, up and down steps and bridges, in the hot sun.

I think we sweated off 10 lbs by the time we finally got to the hotel. Venice is a LOT of work, at least if you're pulling bags.

I'll verify I've never seen or heard mention of a shuttle between any terminal and the People Mover (PM). Last October our ship's terminal was a bit under a 1km walk from the PM. Google Maps shows the furthest terminal at more than 1.1km from the PM.

We always take a taxi from our hotel in Mestre directly to the terminal. I suggest you plan on doing the same from wherever you might be staying.

Lew

Also need to be careful to ask people as you approach the port area to see if they've set up a baggage drop somewhere. We were on the NCL Jade last June. We had taken an Alilaguna water taxi from the airport around the lagoon, ending up at the port. We saw our ship so we headed toward that entrance, but halfway there someone pointed us in the opposite direction. NCL had set up the luggage drop under the overhang of what looked like a loading dock closer to the entrance of the port.

We did see a shuttle bus from P.Roma to the ship, but it did not say NCL or any line. It turned out, anyone could use it. Another time, we walked all the way pulling our luggage. It wasn't too bad, we are early 60's, no mobility problems and we each had only one carryon. There were also taxis. If you can travel light, it is much easier. We have done 2 seven night cruises with one night pre or post with just a carryon. We do dress up for formal nights too. The main thing is to limit the shoes!

Also need to be careful to ask people as you approach the port area to see if they've set up a baggage drop somewhere. We were on the NCL Jade last June. We had taken an Alilaguna water taxi from the airport around the lagoon, ending up at the port. We saw our ship so we headed toward that entrance, but halfway there someone pointed us in the opposite direction. NCL had set up the luggage drop under the overhang of what looked like a loading dock closer to the entrance of the port.

Your ship was likely at terminal 107 or 108. The luggage acceptance point for those two terminals is located in a separate building not far from those terminals.

Most other terminals have self-contained luggage acceptance points. Last year our taxi dropped us about 20 feet from the luggage drop.

Lew

Your ship was likely at terminal 107 or 108. The luggage acceptance point for those two terminals is located in a separate building not far from those terminals.

Most other terminals have self-contained luggage acceptance points. Last year our taxi dropped us about 20 feet from the luggage drop.

Lew

Pretty close. We were on that side of the "U" but farther up. Looking at a port map, I think we were at 112, on the very end.

The luggage drop was next to the road that runs along the bottom of the "U" (next to 103, behind the Alilaguna stop).

What the Venice cruise port could REALLY use badly is a luggage delivery service that could deliver luggage to/from hotels. It's not bad walking around Venice, and the cruise port walk to/from P.Roma isn't too bad (about a mile). But dragging the luggage is what makes it a real chore. Not just from the cruise port, but up and down all the steps and bridges in Venice as well.

What the Venice cruise port could REALLY use badly is a luggage delivery service that could deliver luggage to/from hotels. It's not bad walking around Venice, and the cruise port walk to/from P.Roma isn't too bad (about a mile). But dragging the luggage is what makes it a real chore. Not just from the cruise port, but up and down all the steps and bridges in Venice as well.

It actually exists, although not sure about the cost. The one company we know who will do this happens to be the same company that operates the luggage storage place at the Piazale Roma. Here is their link. If you want to arrange specific luggage delivery you need to send them an e-mail.

http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/index.shtml?services

Hank

It actually exists, although not sure about the cost. The one company we know who will do this happens to be the same company that operates the luggage storage place at the Piazale Roma. Here is their link. If you want to arrange specific luggage delivery you need to send them an e-mail.

http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/index.shtml?services

Hank

Looks like that's geared more toward tour groups and commercial users than individual passengers, at least based on what can be gleamed from the website. Perhaps they service individuals too, but I'd think the cost would be very high if they don't have the infrastructure set up to handle like 500-1000 separate passengers in a day.

Ideally, they'd have a manned drop point right at central spot at the port (with good signage) where people would just be able to stop by on their way out of the port, fill out luggage tags (similar to ship tags), pay for the service and leave their bags there. Then the service would have a series of small boats and runners that runs around and delivers bags within maybe 6 hours (most ships dock in the morning and you can't check into hotels until afternoon anyway).

Oh well, I know I'm dreaming. ;) Probably have to cost more than people would be willing to pay.