EZ Check Question

beachnut41955

It used to be even though you're not disembarking in the US. Vancouver is somewhat unique in that you go through US Immigration and Customs after checking in at the airport rather than when your flight arrives in the US. Princess used to offer a "closed" EZ Check that included a transfer to the airport, unlike EZ Check elsewhere, if your previous port was in the US so that you bypassed going through Canadian Immigration and Customs at disembarkation. You were dropped off at the airport and went directly to Security and to your gate.

I don't know if Princess still offers this.

Edited by Pam in CA

In years past there has been a program called US Direct. It has 2 parts, one for arriving and one for departing passengers in Vancouver. The program has changed many times and it is not always clear if and how the program will be handled each year. It is more than just transporting luggage but has to do with bypassing Canadian Customs which is why they call it US Direct - it is as if you were never in Canada to begin with. You bypass a lot of the processes that involve Customs and Immigration.

Unfortunately you will need to wait until the first sailings arrive to find out if it is being offered and if your cruise line is participating. In the past, the program has been scaled back but there have been great improvements at the Vancouver airport which has helped.

Edited by Coral

If I remember correctly, last year, they offered it for incoming cruise passengers to Vancouver but not departing. This program has changed so many times, I would probably plan not having it unless people report that it exists.

In years past there has been a program called US Direct. It has 2 parts, one for arriving and one for departing passengers in Vancouver. The program has changed many times and it is not always clear if and how the program will be handled each year. It is more than just transporting luggage but has to do with bypassing Canadian Customs which is why they call it US Direct - it is as if you were never in Canada to begin with. You bypass a lot of the processes that involve Customs and Immigration.

I thought that was mainly for thsoe going from the ship to SEA (or the reverse). Was it also for the Vancouver airport?

I thought that was mainly for thsoe going from the ship to SEA (or the reverse). Was it also for the Vancouver airport?

Not sure if SEA means Seattle in your quote?

EZ Check operates in Seattle just like it does in FLL or LAX. US Direct was a program that was designed by the Cruise Lines, Vancouver Airport and Customs and Immigrations which allowed a passenger to go from the Vancouver airport to the ship "direct" bypassing Canadian Customs and Immigration and also from the ship when passengers were disembarking to the Vancouver airport in a sealed bus also bypassing Canadian Customs and Immigrations as if they were never in Canada. The concept was to act like they were never in Canada, and thus, don't have to go through the time consuming process.

The program actually worked well. I don't know why they scaled it back in the past few years. I thought it was not operating last year but some did report that it was available for people embarking their ship and flying in the day of embarkment in Vancouver. I never heard if it was offered for passengers disembarking last year.

Edited by Coral