Pharmacies in the Bahamas

jackparts

I will be in Nassau and Freeport soon and would like to pickup some medicine for my Autistic grandkids. Their doctor just passed away and haven't found a new one yet , they all want them to start counciling all over. They all have gone thru that with the previous Doctors and their prescriptions will soon run out. Anyone know if the policies are the same as in Mexico, less expensive, no prescriptions?

Medicine here in the US is so costly...

My DH had prostate Cancer and his medicine here is $400 for a week supply

I can get it over sea's (Belize, Cozumel and other ports) for a year less.

Good reason to cruise.

Cathy

People buy meds all the time in Caribbean islands.

I have done it plenty of times.

And before anyone else comments on what they "think" or "heard" is the law regarding this subject.

Research it before you decide to post.

Counterfeit meds are a big problem in many of these countries so make sure you know you are getting the real thing. Some counterfeits look so much like the real thing it takes a lab test to tell the difference. Some are just inert, others can contain dangerous fillers and substances.

Only you know if you are willing to risk whether or not the meds you are taking are the real thing, or at the very least, not something harmful.

That's not to say that legitimate drugs aren't sold overseas, just be aware that there can be fake ones out there -especially in areas that cater to tourists.

I thought about buying meds in port once and figured it wasn't worth the risk. The risk of counterfeits, the question of quality and regulations. Not worth risking my health or my life to save a few bucks.

I do hear people buy them and have no problems but with my luck I'd buy that one tainted bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will be in Nassau and Freeport soon and would like to pickup some medicine for my Autistic grandkids. Their doctor just passed away and haven't found a new one yet , they all want them to start counciling all over. They all have gone thru that with the previous Doctors and their prescriptions will soon run out. Anyone know if the policies are the same as in Mexico, less expensive, no prescriptions?

In the Bahamas, you will need a script from a Bahamian doctor.

The only OTC medicine available without a script is Aspirin with codeine, and I will say that it has so little codeine in it, that you would have to OD on aspirin to get the effect.

In Nassua you can get liquid bottles of codeine not just in aspirin go to an actual pharmacy though my college friend works in Nassua and suggested it never had problems though I have not seen other drugs and no problem getting on the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ive never bought meds in Bahamas but I have plenty of times in Mexico. Belize was the best the lady is a pharmacist from the States and I get them right in port. Now my thought is the port is setup for us to shop if they don't want us buying these meds I highly doubt the port would allow her to setup several shops inside its limits. As far as I am concerned its open season for me. I have Crohns Disease and my Gastro has Issues with Prednisone he would rather give me drugs that cause cancer but the only thing that will truly pull me from a flare up is pred so I go there and get it. I also like to get the liquid codien as that also slows the bowels down sorry for the TMI but I am truly grateful I have the ability to choose for myself to buy these meds and bring home so I can continue to work a full time job and not go on SS. Sorry got sidetracked but you can look at this as a good thing or a bad thing and those of us that choose to take the risk its our decision. I have also never had an issue with the quality of the medicine. I have never ever had trouble getting back into the home port they only ask if I have food from Mexico, umm that would be a negative.

Just sharing my experience and opinion.

Will be sailing on 4-5 liberty

• Like 1

Ive never bought meds in Bahamas but I have plenty of times in Mexico. Belize was the best the lady is a pharmacist from the States and I get them right in port. Now my thought is the port is setup for us to shop if they don't want us buying these meds I highly doubt the port would allow her to setup several shops inside its limits. As far as I am concerned its open season for me. I have Crohns Disease and my Gastro has Issues with Prednisone he would rather give me drugs that cause cancer but the only thing that will truly pull me from a flare up is pred so I go there and get it. I also like to get the liquid codien as that also slows the bowels down sorry for the TMI but I am truly grateful I have the ability to choose for myself to buy these meds and bring home so I can continue to work a full time job and not go on SS. Sorry got sidetracked but you can look at this as a good thing or a bad thing and those of us that choose to take the risk its our decision. I have also never had an issue with the quality of the medicine. I have never ever had trouble getting back into the home port they only ask if I have food from Mexico, umm that would be a negative.

Just sharing my experience and opinion.

Will be sailing on 4-5 liberty

I agree that it's your decision and your risk to take. I take issue with the op getting these meds for children. They aren't making the decision to the the risk for themselves.

People buy meds all the time in Caribbean islands.

I have done it plenty of times.

And before anyone else comments on what they "think" or "heard" is the law regarding this subject.

Research it before you decide to post.

Have you purchased Rx's in Nassau before? If so, can you direct me to a pharmacy? I want to purchase some Latisse. I have been using this for two years. I purchased the first few bottles from my dermatologist for $120 each. It was only $50 in Belize (port pharmacy owned by an American pharmacist). I was hoping you could purchase meds in Nassau without a Rx, but I heard this is not the case. Thanks

• 1 year later...

Is codeine still available over the counter in the bahamas? I would like to get some cold medicine while there if it is still available. Are there any particular pharmacies that people have had good experiences with? I also wouldnt mind buying my anti anxiety meds if they are available.