Traveling w/minors who aren't mine. Looking for experiences

mudman1234

Hello. I have taken my grandchildren on several cruises, and I believe in overkill. Inside a folder for each child, I have copies of the boarding passes, original identity/citizenship docs, a letter signed by both parents giving him/her permission to travel with me, and insurance cards. In our case, we travel with custody paperwork, too (might not apply to you).

I never allow them to have spending privileges. You can take care of that when you do the online check-in.

...............and another thing - make sure you have the minibar emptied out in their cabins (smile).

Hope this helps.

Can you tell me how the check in went and what permission documents you brought?

Did you set up a cash account for them to spend $ on the cruise?

I want to be sure I have everything in order for our trip.

Thanks!

I have done this on 3 different cruises (2 cruise lines - CCL & NCL) and honestly it depends on the port and who checks you in....once I got the move forward without much review of documentation (although I had it all) then once (Baltimore) they wanted copies of everything (Notorized form, divorce decree to show her father had full custody) so I would make sure you are prepared!

I did not set up seperate spending acct I put her on our and I didnt give either girl (both 14) any spending privilages - so that wasnt an issue. If they wanted something I bought it on our account.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tammi

I hadn't really given much thought to this, but I think I need to! My fiance has joint custody of his kids and I have joint custody of my daughter. He will be able to get a letter from his ex giving her okay with the guys coming with us; but my ex-husband is no longer reachable as he's gone almost completely off the grid (I currently communicate with him by sending him an e-mail, which he typically takes a month or more to actually read and respond to). I guess I haven't thought much about custody stuff because she's 16 and we haven't run into any issues before...I'll need to figure this out so we can get on the boat on 4/10!

I guess I haven't thought much about custody stuff because she's 16 and we haven't run into any issues before...

16 Years old = No Problems. No questions asked.

We have taken our kids friends - 3 separate cruises.

We made sure

• They had passports in hand several weeks before.
  • A signed, notarized statement from each parent, no difference to us their marital status.
  • Each parent had a separate statement with 24 hour contact information.
  • The statement word something to the effect we were not responsible for the child's safety due to inherent dangers related to automobile, air, sea and travel. They assumed all legal and medical responsibility.
  • List of medications, family doctor contact information, and anything the child was allergic to.
  • Wording giving both my wife and I authority to approve or authorize medical service as needed without retribution.

What some may not understand - If you hold a minor's passport, a parent / guardian's approval / documentation is not needed to leave the U.S. A guardian approves to forfeit their right when they sign off on the passport application for minors. This explains why both parents have to sign witnessed by a notary at specified passport locations.

We never had a problem, or was ever asked to show the docs.

Boarding Pass + Passport ... a short while later = we're on Lido watching them smile!

Good Luck

I have traveled with my step daughters in the past. We have the same last name and they are teens so there was no issue. From what I have read here on CC I do think they look at younger children more closely. As far as the spending goes, you can set limits per day, which is what I find works best for us. That way if they want a soft drink shake or specialty item they can have it but I don't have to worry about then going crazy in the gift shop.

You didn't ask but I would like to comment, I feel it is very important to outline the rules and consequences before you cruise. Our youngest exhibited behavior that I would have never never expected. Just because she was on a cruise she thought all the rules went out the window. As we plan our next cruise we have been very specific about what is expected of her.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Thanks everyone. I'm taking 2 17 yo and 1 18 yo that aren't mine.

The 18 year old isn't a problem (I assume since she's an adult, she's traveling with a birth certificate). So I'm not worried there.

Both 17 year olds both have passports and I have notarized letters but only signed by one parent. Do I need both parents to give a letter?

Be prepared. Make sure you have documentation that allows you to take them and not just their passports. I have three kids and have always had their passports, ids and a letter from their father. My father has also taken them out of the country. Travel a lot and only once have we been asked for the documentation. I think it really depends on the port or customs agent.

We are traveling in a week and half, bringing DD best friend. I have made sure we have all docs for her. It will be really nice if we don't need them but I would rather have the comfort knowing we have them.

The only thing I can add that I have not seen covered is that YOU are responsible for their behaviour.

I have read posts on here over the years where a family took a friend of their kids. That friend ended up being a terror and the entire family was removed from the ship in a foreign port.

With joint custody, it kind of irks me that the other parent has to give their persmission to travel outside the country - I think when you have the kids, it should be your rules. If you don't trust the other parent, then you should seek sole custody, I think. I probably should have done that, but I didn't quite understand how seriously mentally ill my ex-husband actually is.

With joint custody, it kind of irks me that the other parent has to give their persmission to travel outside the country - I think when you have the kids, it should be your rules. If you don't trust the other parent, then you should seek sole custody, I think. I probably should have done that, but I didn't quite understand how seriously mentally ill my ex-husband actually is.

It's an international thing to stop kidnapping your own kid and taking them out of the country perminatly.

Without that required permission, how hard would it be for your ex to have taken the kids to Mexico (or wherever) and never coming back.

I hadn't really given much thought to this, but I think I need to! My fiance has joint custody of his kids and I have joint custody of my daughter. He will be able to get a letter from his ex giving her okay with the guys coming with us; but my ex-husband is no longer reachable as he's gone almost completely off the grid (I currently communicate with him by sending him an e-mail, which he typically takes a month or more to actually read and respond to). I guess I haven't thought much about custody stuff because she's 16 and we haven't run into any issues before...I'll need to figure this out so we can get on the boat on 4/10!

if you have joint custody and dont have a letter notarized from him , you 'could' run into trouble. 95% of the time they dont ask for the letter but I think you need something just in case

Thanks everyone. I'm taking 2 17 yo and 1 18 yo that aren't mine.

The 18 year old isn't a problem (I assume since she's an adult, she's traveling with a birth certificate). So I'm not worried there.

Both 17 year olds both have passports and I have notarized letters but only signed by one parent. Do I need both parents to give a letter?

this might sound crazy but as per carnival, the age where they dont recommend this letter anymore is 21. they recommend it up to 21. You probably wont need it but wanted to tell you what they say. this was brought up in other threads

If going to Canada or Europe, you can be looked at much more closely. I crossed the Canada border 6 times, and needed the notarized documents three times. I also always have permission given to me, to make medical decisions, along with their insurance information.

In Europe, they were "interviewed" along with document inspection.

Before I even knew about anything like this, my daughter flew out for a 2 week stay.

We decided to take a day trip into Canada across a ferry. This was pre passport requirement days. Got off the ferry, was walking through Immigration and they stopped us. They asked where mom was. We told them in Missouri. They asked for prrof that I had permission to bring my daughter into Canada. At that time I was :eek: We were not allowed into Canada.

We took our daughter's best friend on 3 cruises. This was when they were 15, 16 and 17. I always had a notarized letter signed by both of her parents and of course her passport was always in my possession. I also had her insurance card but thankfully never needed it. I had the letter on me every time (check-in, customs, etc.) but only had any question about her different last name during one check in but nobody ever asked to see the letter. I still made sure to have it on each trip. Better safe than sorry.

We've taken other people's kids (nieces, nephews, my sons friends) with us on 8 different cruises and have never been asked once for any type of letter at check-in or going through customs when we got off the ship. Most times the kids only had a birth certificate. I always had a signed "Minor consent to travel" letter but never had to show it.

I had to show information crossing into Canada with DD and when we took my two kids plus another non related (it was on RCCL) I had to show all letters of approval etc and they made copies of all of them. I was glad to have them and will never travel without it. My motto for most things especially this is... better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I also travel with copies of the parent's passports.

Just because reports above, never "needed" the documents, all these reports are, hindsight. It is a "necessary" part of travel, in my opinion. It will only take one time of inspection demand, to make that your routine.

Can you tell me how the check in went and what permission documents you brought?

Did you set up a cash account for them to spend $ on the cruise?

I want to be sure I have everything in order for our trip.

Thanks!

We brought DD's 16 yo BFF with us on a cruise. We had her passport and a notorized letter from her parents authorizing her to travel with us and for us to seek medical attention as necessary and a copy of her insurance card. The only thing asked for at check in was her passport. I never had to show the letter to anyone. I set her up with our credit card like I did our kids. She never spent a dime.

My sister is in this situation. Her ex is not signing anything and she just filed a motion to travel with the courts. Problem is, we sail in about 7 weeks and she has no clue if it will be granted or not, so she has not booked yet. She just wants an inside guarantee, so I doubt it will be a problem to book...depending how far down to the wire it comes. The kids are 17 & 14 with a different last name from her. She and the 17 yo has just gotten their passports but the 14 yo doesn't. Saddest part is that this cruise was FOR their graduations (12th and 8th grades) and the ex still won't budge or and refuses to even acknowledge her request for the signed (and notarized) paperwork. She just found out this week that because his child support is in the arrears HE was denied his passport application for himself. So my sister hopes IF they go to court she can also point out that he is disgruntled b/c he can not obtain a passport from himself to travel and is taking it out on the kids. Such a shame!!

To the OP-I would 100% make sure you have all the documentation everyone mentioned here. It is alot easier to get the parents to sign a bunch of paperwork now rather then YOU having a headache later for being so kind as to allow the child to join you on the vacation!

My sister is in this situation. Her ex is not signing anything and she just filed a motion to travel with the courts. Problem is, we sail in about 7 weeks and she has no clue if it will be granted or not, so she has not booked yet. She just wants an inside guarantee, so I doubt it will be a problem to book...depending how far down to the wire it comes. The kids are 17 & 14 with a different last name from her. She and the 17 yo has just gotten their passports but the 14 yo doesn't. Saddest part is that this cruise was FOR their graduations (12th and 8th grades) and the ex still won't budge or and refuses to even acknowledge her request for the signed (and notarized) paperwork. She just found out this week that because his child support is in the arrears HE was denied his passport application for himself. So my sister hopes IF they go to court she can also point out that he is disgruntled b/c he can not obtain a passport from himself to travel and is taking it out on the kids. Such a shame!!

To the OP-I would 100% make sure you have all the documentation everyone mentioned here. It is alot easier to get the parents to sign a bunch of paperwork now rather then YOU having a headache later for being so kind as to allow the child to join you on the vacation!

That stinks! My ex wouldn't say no, I'm sure, but since he only checks his email sporadically and he is a massive procrastinator, I probably wouldn't hear from him until I get back from the cruise. It took over a year to get his notarized letter so she could apply for her passport renewal, and it wasn't because he was deliberately being a jerk, it was because he kept putting it off (and also because he's seriously mentally ill and doesn't function like a normal person).

Eek.. we're taking our nephew and niece on a cruise this coming summer. I gave their dad (my ex-brother-in-law) a form to fill out and get notarized giving us permission to have them, medical, sign them up for things, excursions, safety, everything i could possibly think of, and we'll have their original birth certificates..

He has full custody.. so do you all think I'm good with what I have? Their mom (my sister) is now remarried with a different last name, and honestly, I'd rather not get her involved if I don't have too. :(