Regent "Free" "Optional" Shore Excursion Options

I have another question! Shocker...

So Gramps and I are already registered for a bunch of excursions for our Monte Carlo to Barcelona 6/22 med cruise. We are registered for 4hour excursions in all but one of the ports, and that one is an 8hour excursion (i'm thinking about changing it).

That being said, the descriptions for these tours is sooooo inconsistent. Most are pretty good about mentioning the hours/length of walking/standing time and how rigourous or not that walking will be - steps, cobblestones etc.

BUT, there is no consistency in mentioning access to bathrooms

and more importantly...

I would love to know how much DRIVING/riding in bus there is on some of these 8hour excursions. the 8hour one we are signed up for in france mentions 2hours of free time walking around, but I do not wish to be on a bus for 6hours - I'd rather stay on the ship if thats the case!

Has anybody had any luck contacting Regent excursion desk number via website?

Should we just wait until we board the ship and go directly to the desk to make sure everything we are signed up for we like/can do?

thanks! :D

Why don't you just lust the ports and the excursion you have booked for each port. Chances are many of us have taken the tours you are concerned about and provide some assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When you get on board there is a detailed explanation of each excursion in your suite. It tells you how long the bus ride is, how long you are at each stop, etc. Once you read this information, you have time to decide if you want to cancel. The information onboard is much better than anything you can learn by calling Regent (in my opinion).

Unfortunately there is no information anywhere regarding bathrooms. You could ask the people in Destination Services. One thing I can tell you about the Med. is that bathrooms usually have a cost so it is a good idea to get change (Euros). I have seen too many people stuck at outside a bathroom with no money to get in (usually another passenger will be happy to give you the money...... but it is better to be safe than sorry.)

Thank you TravelCat! Are you sick of me yet? ;)

Your answer is super helpful so I think I will just put the issue to rest and wait until we board in Monte Carlo to re-look at excursions.

thanks for tip about potty. forgot about that.

Thank you TravelCat! Are you sick of me yet? ;)

Your answer is super helpful so I think I will just put the issue to rest and wait until we board in Monte Carlo to re-look at excursions.

thanks for tip about potty. forgot about that.

Definitely not sick of you. If you have any more questions, just ask:D

The key to these questions, and many other unsettled issues, is a good agent with lots of Regent experience. If you have one, ask them. If not, ask when you get on board and if you don't like what you hear, cancel and go ashore and make your own arrangements, which can often be done at a reasonable cost.

If your agent can't (or won't) help get the answer, call Regent directly and ask. The detailed itineraries you get when you are on board mostly come out of Miami, although accessing them isn't always easy, or sometimes even possible. Booking through a great, very knowledgeable agent makes all the difference in almost all cases though.

Edited by countflorida
clarify

They are not going to list the bathroom info anywhere, experienced travel agent or not. You are pretty much on your own in that regard, but having travelled in Europe extensively, what always works is popping into a coffee shop or cafe if you really have to go. You can buy something cheap and use the facilities.

Thanks guys. And our TA is not knowledgable which is why I have all these questions. Plus I'm sure she is sick of my grandfather and mothers questions by now! I know how he is. My questions are just questions I have when I start obsessing about a cruise ;) I haven't been to Europe since 2006 and I haven't traveled with my 87yo grandfather so yeah.

I think waiting til we board is fine

I prob could have planned us a relatively nice cruise on a lower line for less and gotten us excursions privately for cheap. However I do not have that luxury in this care bc the reason he chose regent is bc excursions are included. He's not paying extra and I certainly can't afford it.

So it is what it is and we shall see what the peeps on board say. He is worried about slowing me down but I'll be fine. I've already accepted that more than likely I'll be checking out the boat thoroughly instead of ports ;) prob half day in ports and half day on boat.

Fine by me for a vacation I don't have to pay for (and quite literally cannot afford as both hubs and I are in school, he for his bachelors and me for my masters). I am just along for the ride but want to make sure gramps isn't extending himself too much but also gets to do and see what he thinks he is capable of. That's all

Thanks guys. And our TA is not knowledgable which is why I have all these questions. Plus I'm sure she is sick of my grandfather and mothers questions by now! I know how he is. My questions are just questions I have when I start obsessing about a cruise ;) I haven't been to Europe since 2006 and I haven't traveled with my 87yo grandfather so yeah.

I think waiting til we board is fine

I prob could have planned us a relatively nice cruise on a lower line for less and gotten us excursions privately for cheap. However I do not have that luxury in this care bc the reason he chose regent is bc excursions are included. He's not paying extra and I certainly can't afford it.

So it is what it is and we shall see what the peeps on board say. He is worried about slowing me down but I'll be fine. I've already accepted that more than likely I'll be checking out the boat thoroughly instead of ports ;) prob half day in ports and half day on boat.

Fine by me for a vacation I don't have to pay for (and quite literally cannot afford as both hubs and I are in school, he for his bachelors and me for my masters). I am just along for the ride but want to make sure gramps isn't extending himself too much but also gets to do and see what he thinks he is capable of. That's all

Sarah--everyone time I read a post from you I smile!! How lucky you are to be traveling with your Grandfather. When we went to Rome last year, and as I plan this years trip, I constantly think of my grandfather and how much he would have enjoyed the trips we take. Go, have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute you spend together!

Debi

Sarah: As usual, TC2 gave very good advice. I'll add some insights from a 77 year-old male. Regent caters to an older crowd so they're well aware of the need for potty breaks and they plan accordingly. In the very rare occasions where this may be a problem it is well called out in the on-board excursion flyer.

Regent always supplies water bottles and I often take one or two energy bars from the morning's breakfast bar at the pool grill - just in case I need energy during the excursion.

PS: Regent pays your TA a handsome fee so don't hesitate to ask advice. I've found Regent headquarters and especially their web site to be very uninformed so use your TA and this CC site - I and many others love to help.

Thanks!

oooh the pool grill has energy bars to grab and take with us??? SOLD!!!

I usually just pack my own from the states (clif bars, trail mix etc) for any trip I take.

LOL my family had lunch in Costa Rica of clif bars, trail mix and fruit b/c we didn't feel like sitting down and eating overpriced food at one of the tourist traps ;)

excellent, thanks for the info. I'm just not ready to bug the TA - she'll get a lot of bugging once the flights are released 7 weeks prior ;) and I find I get better info here on the boards.

yeah for water bottles too - I usually bring my own bottle and refill with water. my water bottle goes with me everywhere, night stand at home, desk at work, car, inside next to tv. everywhere.

mom said I have to be "delicate" pushing my grandfather to drink water, he doesn't like water. :cool:

You can get all the bottled water you want on board. Your room attendant can keep your frig supplied. Filling a water bottle overseas leaves you open to water sources which may or may not be ok to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sara, Deepfreeze has it right. Regent does cater to an older crowd and ALWAYS includes to put it delicately "comfort stops" in their tours. Btw don't be concerned that the tours will be boring. We are in the minority I know; but we have done Regent tours literally all over the world and have in general found them excellent. On occasion the guide is poor but that can happen even with a private tour.

Enjoy your time with Gramps; you are so lucky. My Mom can't even get out of bed.

Thanks new London! I'm sure the torus are fine. I'm kind of looking forward to relaxing on this trip and spending the morning doing excursions and the afternoon working out or sunning on the ship while he naps

I'm easy to please :) And it takes a lot to really make me angry

Anywho. Looking forward To it - just need to get through 6 more weeks of school. I asked my mom where the fast forward button for life is. Teehee!

Thanks!

mom said I have to be "delicate" pushing my grandfather to drink water, he doesn't like water. :cool:

Just checked Livestrong.com to learn more about water alternatives (water isn't my thing either:-) In addition to tea and coffee, they recommend eating watermelon and other "juicy" fruits.