Transatlantic then One Way plane back???

KiddieKruzer

I really think it depends on the airline and where you are going. My husband and I did a TA to Barcelona and paid $425 for a one-way ticket on Swiss Air in 2011. The other trip we did was a one-way to Heathrow Airport in London and paid $395 per person through Iceland Air in 2013. Both times we flew into or out of Washington-Dulles Airport (IAD).

I don't know if they are still called "bucket shops," but the resellers who used to place the tiny, tiny ads in the New York Times are still around. They buy blocks of tickets from the airlines at deep discounts, and resell them. I assume they have migrated to the web along with everyone else. Bucket shops have no problem selling one way tickets.

A cheap flight is possible but at a cost which is how long it takes:

Both flights depart Barcelona on Wednesday Aug 6 on Turkish Air through Istanbul:

Barcelona to Toronto: $621 18hrs total (Istanbul)

Barcelona To Cleveland: $857 23hrs total (Istanbul; Wash DC)

Costs on other carriers are substantially more.

Not sure what baggage costs/options are on Turkish Air so please check.

Enjoy your trip

Considering inflation, airfare prices are cheaper than they were years ago. I remember in the 90s when a RT ticket from Atlanta to Munich during the Summer would cost $1400. That was in 20 year old dollars, worth more than current dollars.

That was a lot then too!

Compared to what we paid 6 years ago, the prices have more than doubled for same route/ same time, etc. Guess it just matters what your point of reference is.

Fax machines and VCRs were also more in the 90's...But that's irrelevant too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That was a lot then too!

Compared to what we paid 6 years ago, the prices have more than doubled for same route/ same time, etc. Guess it just matters what your point of reference is.

Fax machines and VCRs were also more in the 90's...But that's irrelevant too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have done about six flights to Europe in the last four years, with the average JAX to Barcelona or Venice or Paris to be $1200.

However, I found a great deal on our flight to Istanbul last September (from Orlando) for $825 pp. Not sure why it was so inexpensive.

We have done about six flights to Europe in the last four years, with the average JAX to Barcelona or Venice or Paris to be $1200.

However, I found a great deal on our flight to Istanbul last September (from Orlando) for $825 pp. Not sure why it was so inexpensive.

WOW! $825 really IS a great price!

Was it on Turkish Air? I've seen them pretty low (and well rated) while I was searching.

We weren't so lucky this time....and I watched as the seats were scooped up so I had to make a move.

I just paid for our tickets for this Fall last week, so I was digging through my folder from our trip 3 years ago to see what we paid. I have the old ticket right here. We paid $880 in 2011.

This year it was $1171. Not too bad, BUT we are also driving to Toronto for the direct flight instead of leaving from here.

Otherwise, our same itinerary from Buffalo would have been $1380 with one stop or $1250 with 2 stops! (YIKES!)

I got tired of watching the price fluctuate wildly from day to day and finally bit the bullet.

Oh well, as I said before, it's far less painless to just think of it as part of the TOTAL vacation cost and not a separate charge!

:D

I fly out of Dallas to Ft Lauderdale, then book my trip back from, say, London, back to Dallas. Book them together (choose "Multiple Cities") and it counts as a round trip. So if I'm doing an Eastbound TA, I would book a flight from DFW to FLL, then one from LHR to DFW.

WOW! $825 really IS a great price!

Was it on Turkish Air? I've seen them pretty low (and well rated) while I was searching.

We weren't so lucky this time....and I watched as the seats were scooped up so I had to make a move.

I just paid for our tickets for this Fall last week, so I was digging through my folder from our trip 3 years ago to see what we paid. I have the old ticket right here. We paid $880 in 2011.

This year it was $1171. Not too bad, BUT we are also driving to Toronto for the direct flight instead of leaving from here.

Otherwise, our same itinerary from Buffalo would have been $1380 with one stop or $1250 with 2 stops! (YIKES!)

I got tired of watching the price fluctuate wildly from day to day and finally bit the bullet.

Oh well, as I said before, it's far less painless to just think of it as part of the TOTAL vacation cost and not a separate charge!

:D

The $850 flight was on United. We prefer Delta, but United had Delta beat on this one.

Interesting topic!

We're from the Netherlands and normally we can book a return ticket for about 500-550 euros, depending on the airport within Florida.

Just booked a transatlantic Miami - Barcelona on the Epic. This time trough a Dutch travel agent for an unbeatable price of 799 euros pp, flights and inside cabin included.

Normally we book though Crown Cruise Vacations and find our own flights.

I cannot book a single ticket Amsterdam - Miami and Barcelona - Amsterdam for under 550 euros together!

All luggage is included which in general would cost extra within Europe.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Hello Sheila, I'm also from Holland and booked the return trip (BCL-MIA). Still waiting for a cheap flight from Miami to Amsterdam, though...

Which dutch travel agent did you use for booking the package (and which airline are you using)?

Edited by Schaaphok

Have booked 1 week ago.

Booked through Zeetours cruises for the first time, would normally do my own research (7th cruise since started in 2010 :)) Flight is with Klm delta.

Arkefly had some options, for One way tickets if you are somewhat flexible in days...

And... It is nearly always worth it to book both cruise fare and airline ticket trough an US website, let the USD-EURO conversion earn you some vacation money, maybe you get some OBC and nice bottles of wine from a US travel agent, can't hurt to ask :)

Edited by Sheila3

http://www.norwegian.com/long_us/

Norwegian air costs from 200 to 300 dollar for one way from many cities in US, JFK, FLL, LAX, MCO, OAK and directly to London, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm and Helsinki, and from there you can get wherever you want in Europe.

You will be able to get from US to around 70 cities for less than 500 dollar one way.

Thanks for the link. I see they fly out of Ft. Lauderdale, which is 10 minutes from where we live now. The fares look amazing. This is great info to know.

Have booked 1 week ago.

Booked through Zeetours cruises for the first time, would normally do my own research (7th cruise since started in 2010 :)) Flight is with Klm delta.

Arkefly had some options, for One way tickets if you are somewhat flexible in days...

And... It is nearly always worth it to book both cruise fare and airline ticket trough an US website, let the USD-EURO conversion earn you some vacation money, maybe you get some OBC and nice bottles of wine from a US travel agent, can't hurt to ask :)

We're on the same sailing. :) Did you join the roll call - its sooo busy i'm losing track of everyone!! :)

We are also on the Norwegian Star for the Copenhagen to Miami transatlantic in October. My TA proposed a $1400 RT flight and waste the other way. I found a $435 one way on Icelandair. I was not familiar with Norwegian Air, so thank you to everyone who brought that to the forum.

wwb

Absolutely check what the cruise line can offer you. Choice Air (celebrity) saved us over 60% over what I could book myself for our upcoming repositioning cruise for one way Santiago Chile to Raleigh North Carolina. Even more for our friends who return to Phoenix.

And it's high holiday season flights - we return home December 23rd!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile ap

I agree. We are coming home from Rome in May and it's $590 p.p. on British Airways. We are doing another transatlantic in October and we're paying $510 p.p., Phoenix to Barcelona, on Air Canada. Two years ago we went from Phoenix to Southampton England for $369 p.p. on Delta. We've had 0 problems. This is using Choice Air through Celebrity. Hopefully Norwegian will have something like that available for you.

Hello Sheila, I'm also from Holland and booked the return trip (BCL-MIA). Still waiting for a cheap flight from Miami to Amsterdam, though...

Which dutch travel agent did you use for booking the package (and which airline are you using)?

Schaaphok, try Jetairfly. Their oneway Miami - Brussel start at € 249,99 including taxes for october (november isn't bookable yet..)! Spend another €64,50 more and get 30kg bagage, more legspace, entertainment, etc. And.. no booking fee for flights from/to the US says the fine print. :D