How do you stop the obsessing? Or do you?

Fog123

I feel slightly more normal now... I booked my first cruise in February going to Bermuda and it's going to have a lot of firsts. First cruise for both my boyfriend and me, my boyfriend's first time outside the country, and our first vacation together after what will then be over 18 months of dating.

It's funny because I'm the one who spends time on CC, the booking is in my name, I'm making payments and reservations, etc. All the planning is on me, so I feel it's natural for me to be obsessed to the point of madness. Almost every evening, though, he looks over at me and says something along the lines of "I cannot wait for our cruise/Bermuda/vacation!" Then he bounces a little before going back to hiding all emotion inside.

Edited by adivineeternity

It's taken us more than 20 years to finally book a cruise. We're the "we're not cruise people" type of people, or at least we were.

We leave for an Alaskan cruise in July, chosen, in part, by the wonderful help on this board. I am surprised at how much time is taken up in my day by the obsession that is now the cruise (or is it cruise that is now the obsession?). I check Cruise Critic, I google the Volendam, I look at Alaska information...

It doesn't help that I'm in Vancouver right now on work and was actually at Canada Place for meetings. I spent time gazing out the window thinking "97 more days..." and taking pictures of where the ship will be at berth.

So my question is, how do I stop obsessing about the cruise? It's still more than 3 months away.

Or do I? :)

Any advice welcome.

Congrats on the upcoming trip! I used to say that too, lol.

The answer to your question? You don't! Or at least I don't. I never stop obsessing. It's fun, it helps you plan your trip, and enjoy the trip, and the wait better.

Have fun!

I feel slightly more normal now... I booked my first cruise in February going to Bermuda and it's going to have a lot of firsts. First cruise for both my boyfriend and me, my boyfriend's first time outside the country, and our first vacation together after what will then be over 18 months of dating.

It's funny because I'm the one who spends time on CC, the booking is in my name, I'm making payments and reservations, etc. All the planning is on me, so I feel it's natural for me to be obsessed to the point of madness. Almost every evening, though, he looks over at me and says something along the lines of "I cannot wait for our cruise/Bermuda/vacation!" Then he bounces a little before going back to hiding all emotion inside.

Your boyfriend must know mine! Haha This is EXACTLY how it has been for us for the past month since we booked. I am doing ALL of the planning... He is helping me pay but I'm making the payments. Its funny because he sees me on the computer constantly and he looks over and says "this cruise is going to be flawless after all of this research you're doing"! He is just ready to go and so am I!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

It's taken us more than 20 years to finally book a cruise. We're the "we're not cruise people" type of people, or at least we were.

We leave for an Alaskan cruise in July, chosen, in part, by the wonderful help on this board. I am surprised at how much time is taken up in my day by the obsession that is now the cruise (or is it cruise that is now the obsession?). I check Cruise Critic, I google the Volendam, I look at Alaska information...

So my question is, how do I stop obsessing about the cruise? It's still more than 3 months away.

Any advice welcome.

I think you are me! I could have written this post, substituting June and Solstice. 10 weeks tomorrow....:D

Your boyfriend must know mine! Haha This is EXACTLY how it has been for us for the past month since we booked. I am doing ALL of the planning... He is helping me pay but I'm making the payments. Its funny because he sees me on the computer constantly and he looks over and says "this cruise is going to be flawless after all of this research you're doing"! He is just ready to go and so am I!

Hahaha... I like you. James (le boyfriend) gets money from me every month for rent, so what we decided would be easiest is for me to take half that amount and put it toward his share of the cruise costs, since the payments have to be made using my bank account because of who I booked through (military joys, yo).

When I initially booked and for the first week after, I'd get all excited as I told him something new and he actually started yelling at me about it. Rather than apologize like a decent human being, he just said I was overwhelming him. :mad:

I just KNOW that when September comes he's going to be clamoring for information that I already have.

I should first explain that we have truly been on more cruises then we can count (lost count after about 60) and know we have spend over 3 1/2 years on cruise ships. And yet, we still are somewhat obsessive about our booked cruises (and the ones we are thinking about booking). Since we do cruise an awful lot (over 70 days every year) it is never too long until the next cruise. But even after forty years of being an active cruiser we have never lost our love for this mode of travel and it is a common topic in our home on a daily basis.

Hank

Don't think you can stop and who would want to? Doing the research and planning is half the fun. I am a relative newbie to cruising and I spend so much time on CC, my kids call me "cruisecritic.com". My work colleague is similiarily obsessed and we spend way too much time talking about and planning our next cruise. Hubby works near the port and he will often send me a photo of whichever cruiseship is in port which is great. It amuses him that I usually know the cruiseline and the name of the cruiseship.

As someone else said to me, the only "cure" for this obsession is to book another cruise.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Planning helps pass the time, especially when a cruise is booked so far out. I had a great roll call for our Epic trip, which was a lot of fun, and we were all similarly obsessed, which makes for great company :)

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

We took our first cruise last August. We were so excited about it we ended up booking two more before we even went on the first one (good thing we liked it!). We just finished our 3rd one in February and we have two more lined up. It looks like we always need to have a couple on the horizon or we get all itchy. There are worse things to be addicted to. :)

Mine isn't until October and I am on CC daily it has become my cruise Bible. This will be our first cruise and I'm already looking at ones for next year!!! I've accepted the obsession lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I obsessed over our family's first cruise last November then my sister's body through a wrench into the works just days before. She had emergency gallbladder surgery, the hard way. Well, we still made the cruise and just relaxed. Yes we didn't do even half of what we wanted to but we weren't complaining being we are both from cold states and we were in the Bahamas in November. Anyways, got home reported or trip back to the people at home, showed the pictures and it was over :( . Well, my sister called me a month ago and said we are going back (exactly nine months to the day and in the same cabins :))... The obsession has started again :). No matter how much I planned and researched last time, I'm sure everything has changed in just a couple months :eek:. I do however remeber a few things I learned from last time...pack about half of what I did last time :D and get trip insurance ;)

IM NOT ALONE!!!!!!! I've dreamt of going on a cruise since I swooned over Gopher on the Love Boat!!! Then life got in the way and it was something I would do when I retired, then Co workers talked about their cruises and Victoria BC became a cruise ship port and the first time I saw one I was at a wedding nearby when I saw this "new building" in the distance at night. After I realized it was a ship I was constantly going to see the ships. In 2011, the deal of a lifetime came along and I've been obsessed even more! I'm going on my 3rd this August but am counting the days til the Zaandam kicks off the Alaska season next month. Then the Pearl comes in- my 2 ships I call them. Now see what you started!!!!!! Drives my non cruising hubby nuts!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Hahaha... I like you. James (le boyfriend) gets money from me every month for rent, so what we decided would be easiest is for me to take half that amount and put it toward his share of the cruise costs, since the payments have to be made using my bank account because of who I booked through (military joys, yo).

When I initially booked and for the first week after, I'd get all excited as I told him something new and he actually started yelling at me about it. Rather than apologize like a decent human being, he just said I was overwhelming him. :mad:

I just KNOW that when September comes he's going to be clamoring for information that I already have.

Its bound to happen lol! I know in October he will appreciate my hard work! Especially when he's looking for the nearest place to eat or get a beer haha

It doesn't help that I'm in Vancouver right now on work and was actually at Canada Place for meetings. I spent time gazing out the window thinking "97 more days..." and taking pictures of where the ship will be at berth.

Any advice welcome.

So good to know I'm not the only one! Thanks to the internet, I check Alaska information constantly, when I'm not lurking on CruiseCritic. I read every review of RCI, even those other ships besides Radiance! Trying to read up enough to not make any rookie mistakes on our first cruise. And there's youtube, trip advisor, fodor's, yelp, even chowhound!

Lei

Oh good, I'm not only one. :p I'm trying to book a second one for this year but unfortunately I'm still waiting on my passport which doesn't arrive til late April; so no $500 Carnival cruises from NY til then....I'm going to wait til September when the prices will go down (I set up a rule for myself , no cruises during the Summer or school holidays unless family is going) If not, then definitely next year in 1st days of December (How else am I suppose to enjoy my birthday quietly without drama?:o) and maybe a last-minute deal from NCL or Carnival in the off-peak (sadly, they are the only 2 cruises that I can afford that don't charge much to solo travelers, even with the airfare to Miami).

I research both cruise lines to see what's included or not because I like to have at least one or three drinks during the trip; if I do need to buy a specialty dining package (apparently not for a 7 day, since both cruise lines Main dining I hear is not that bad; well that I have low expectations anyway). Which subway line I need to take from the Bronx to get there and that its a 15- 20 minute walk from 59th; and if the ship is leaving on the weekend need to leave early because the trains may not be working anyway. To pack tums / aspirins / motion sickness bands because I get nausea no matter where I go even on dry land. Pack dresses so I can travel light and hide the bathing suit while at the buffet (the beauty of being female:D), bring at least 2 sweaters (I hear it cold sometimes in the atriums and in the rooms), and bring your body wash, lotions and tooth paste(the samples they give is not going to last me a day, let alone a week) . At least I don't have to worry about towels, I hope...

Any advice welcome.

Oh dear - another person with COS (Cruise Obsession Syndrome)!!!

I am very sorry to have to tell you that there is no known cure for this addiction.

The only treatment available to keep your symptoms under control is to take frequent medication i.e. book as many cruises as possible so you don' t have too long between fixes.

COS is growing into a worldwide pandemic - in the name of international charity go and visit as many other sufferers as possible.

Happy Cruising from a fellow addict. 4 days to go until my next round of therapy!!!!!

Edited by campolady

Glad to hear I'm in good company! My first cruise is less than a month away and I spend hours on Cruise Critic every day! I've decided the best way to handle this obsession is to book another cruise so that I have something to look forward to once this one is over :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad to hear I'm in good company! My first cruise is less than a month away and I spend hours on Cruise Critic every day! I've decided the best way to handle this obsession is to book another cruise so that I have something to look forward to once this one is over :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Book your next cruise while on this one and you usually get some great discounts and extras...........

For me the planning of any trip is half the fun. I love thinking about what we will do and finding cool things to do while on the trip, making lists of what we will need for each particular trip, arranging the travel, and just anticipating!

Wouldn't ever WANT to get over the travel bug ; -)

Sara