New bookings on board

Hi all,

I've asked a few questions about booking a future cruise while on a cruise in the past and have gotten some great info. I'm needing a little help/advice again.

We're leaving this Sat on Liberty and I was seriously thinking of booking a future cruise to Canada in the fall and another one for Feb of 2015. Originally I was so psyched to do it but now that it's getting close i'm getting nervous.

I know the dates, what type of rooms and where we want them on the ships,etc and I keep telling myself I could end up getting some great deals if I keep doing my homework right up until we leave.

The little devil on my shoulder keeps telling me it's too 'risky' to book now, what if something happens, etc. All those things that keep you from taking the leap.

So I guess I need some friendly words of wisdom from those out there who've done it and whether you were glad you did or wished you had waited until you were back home. Or those who didnt and wished they had. :confused:

Wish I had done that before they changed how much OBC you get for booking onboard. Now, I don't book onboard anymore with the little OBC they offer.

Don't forget that you can always cancel it before final payment w/o penalty.

It's a win-win:

You get areduced deposit that's transferrable to another cruise if you change your mind, AND it's refundable if you cancel.

You get onboard credit that also goes with the booking if you change your mind

As mentioned above, you get price drops up to final payment

I'm on the Radiance right now (well, actually I'm in the Auckland library using there free internet), and just booked a future cruise yesterday. My balcony discount and obc offset the port fees and tips, except for $10.

Like packedandready said, I got a great souvenir!!

It's a win-win:

You get areduced deposit that's transferrable to another cruise if you change your mind, AND it's refundable if you cancel.

You get onboard credit that also goes with the booking if you change your mind

Peggy, I don't know if you've seen the new rules, but what we knew as a NextCruise is now called an Open Booking and booking a Future Cruise on board is now called a Next Cruise. Here are part of the Terms & Conditions of a Next Cruise Booking.

Effective March 15, 2014.......

"Deposits for NextCruise bookings are refundable until date of final payment due in North America. If the original ship and sail date selected while onboard is changed in the future, we reserve the right to adjust the onboard credit amount to the Open Booking model between $25 – $100 per stateroom based on length of cruise. Additional deposits may be required for Grand Suites and above. At least one name must remain the same on the booking".

Edited by cruisenfever

I thought you get all money back but not the $100 deposit if you cancel, is this incorrect?

With an Open Booking the deposit is non-refundable. With a Next Cruise or Confirmed Booking the deposit is totally refundable.

Edited by cruisenfever

Hi all,

I've asked a few questions about booking a future cruise while on a cruise in the past and have gotten some great info. I'm needing a little help/advice again.

We're leaving this Sat on Liberty and I was seriously thinking of booking a future cruise to Canada in the fall and another one for Feb of 2015. Originally I was so psyched to do it but now that it's getting close i'm getting nervous.

I know the dates, what type of rooms and where we want them on the ships,etc and I keep telling myself I could end up getting some great deals if I keep doing my homework right up until we leave.

The little devil on my shoulder keeps telling me it's too 'risky' to book now, what if something happens, etc. All those things that keep you from taking the leap.

So I guess I need some friendly words of wisdom from those out there who've done it and whether you were glad you did or wished you had waited until you were back home. Or those who didnt and wished they had. :confused:

For Junior suites and above and balcony staterooms on longer cruises, you actually receive MORE onboard credit than you used to when you book onboard, for a $100 per person deposit. There really isn't a downside, since the deposit is fully refundable.

You will have a higher deposit for a Grand Suite or above, but it is still fully refundable, you receive an OBC and it can be combined with a balcony discount. Since you already know which cruises you wish to book...it seems like an easy decision. :)

Is it booking far in advance indecision? We have cruises booked for May 2015 and February 2016. Of course something could happen, but it also nice to have something to look forward to.:D

Edited by Coralc

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Rignt now i'm leaning towards the on board booking for at least the trip in October. My bf told me last night another couple is interested in coming with us for the Feb 2015 trip so maybe i'll hold off on that one for now,gather the info I need and book that one while we're on the ship in October. Unless something good comes along before that and I'll just book it online.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Rignt now i'm leaning towards the on board booking for at least the trip in October. My bf told me last night another couple is interested in coming with us for the Feb 2015 trip so maybe i'll hold off on that one for now,gather the info I need and book that one while we're on the ship in October. Unless something good comes along before that and I'll just book it online.

Are the other couple very good, reliable friends? If so, the Feb 2015 cruise, you might book yourself in one cabin (along with one person from the other couple). Then book on board a separate cabin for boyfriend and other person. Both cabins will get OBC. If you qualify for a C&A discount, both cabins get that, too. simply go to guest services once you board to get everybody keyed into the correct cabins. If the other couple bails out, just change names so you and BF are in one cabin while canceling the other cabin. If something keeps you and BF from sailing in 2015, the other couple can still keep one of the cabins with a simple, free name change (though they'd lose your C&A discount, if applicable, they keep the OBC for booking on board). and you might catch a price drop between now and your October cruise. Mind you, I'd only do this for a good friend or relative, not some flaky aquantenace.

Are the other couple very good, reliable friends? If so, the Feb 2015 cruise, you might book yourself in one cabin (along with one person from the other couple). Then book on board a separate cabin for boyfriend and other person. Both cabins will get OBC. If you qualify for a C&A discount, both cabins get that, too. simply go to guest services once you board to get everybody keyed into the correct cabins. If the other couple bails out, just change names so you and BF are in one cabin while canceling the other cabin. If something keeps you and BF from sailing in 2015, the other couple can still keep one of the cabins with a simple, free name change (though they'd lose your C&A discount, if applicable, they keep the OBC for booking on board). and you might catch a price drop between now and your October cruise. Mind you, I'd only do this for a good friend or relative, not some flaky aquantenace.

Yes the other couple are two of our best friends.

I really like the idea of putting one of us with one of them. Especially since they have never cruised before.. :)

We just got off Rhapsody & found out about the on board booking changes.

We are not at all happy about the drop in OBC for open bookings considering we can't commit to set cruise bookings due to our variable business commitments.

Plus us Australian cruisers cannot simply transfer one cruise booking to another like you can in the US, we have to cancel & rebook! We lose any OBC in doing so!!!!!:mad:

We just became Diamond C&A members this cruise & I have suggested to Royal that they should at least offer C&A members the same OBC for open bookings made on board as set cruise bookings, or they need to allow us to transfer bookings like US passengers, we already pay more than US passengers for our cruises as well, so we are getting ripped off in more ways than one!

The C&A rep on board told us many people were not happy with the new set up, so hopefully they will make some changes !!

Edited by avalon007

Yes the other couple are two of our best friends.

I really like the idea of putting one of us with one of them. Especially since they have never cruised before.. :)

They will probably also ask for birthdates. :)