Question on Upgrades

First off...don't yell at me for not knowing this?? :-) I see people posting about upgrades, but I have never pursued one myself!

I am on the Apr. 12th Liberty sailing...

I checked the price of my cruise just now, and my PR cabin price has gone down by $100! Which I know that I can't get the price difference because I have obviously made my final payment....BUT....

it looks like I can upgrade to a balcony for $79 per person...I think that might be worth it.

My question is do I just call Royal and ask for the upgrade? Will they know the price difference, etc? Do I just tell them I was looking at the price and would like to upgrade??

You can probably tell I am not a "haggler"

Any advice you pros have I would to hear!! Thanks! :-)

If you booked with a travel agent, they will have to call on your behalf, otherwise you can call directly.

Call ASAP, because the price can change back at any moment!

Bon voyage!

Edited by DonnaK

I do not think they will haggle with you.

Call your travel agent if you used one, otherwise call the cruise line directly. You can ask the cost to upgrade. It may match the price you see, but, if higher, make sure any applicable discount is applied.

If you are Platinum or higher in C&A, you might also get the balcony discount (not combinable with most other deals, but ask; select the best one if noncombinable)

If you have cruiseline OBC, you may lose it if you upgrade.

Good luck.

First off...don't yell at me for not knowing this?? :-) I see people posting about upgrades, but I have never pursued one myself!

I am on the Apr. 12th Liberty sailing...

I checked the price of my cruise just now, and my PR cabin price has gone down by $100! Which I know that I can't get the price difference because I have obviously made my final payment....BUT....

it looks like I can upgrade to a balcony for $79 per person...I think that might be worth it.

My question is do I just call Royal and ask for the upgrade? Will they know the price difference, etc? Do I just tell them I was looking at the price and would like to upgrade??

You can probably tell I am not a "haggler"

Any advice you pros have I would to hear!! Thanks! :-)

What I have done is just call and say I want to change my cabin to a balcony. I just make sure I know before calling what the price will be by doing a mock booking. I've never had a problem doing this.

Good luck!

I am only gold C&A status...I'm working on it though!

I did book directly online.

I just might go for it!!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Why the hesitation???

Go for it...you have nothing to lose by calling. It seems that you should easily get it!

Just call and tell them you noticed the price had dropped and what you could upgrade to? We're booked on the JOS April 19th the prices dropped twice after final payment got upgraded both times! Started out in an inside room, then went to ocean view and now a balcony for a whole $32 ! Tickled pink as this will be our first time in a balcony!

Here's what I just did...I heard that people are being put on hold for 1-2 hrs on the phone. So I did an online courtesy hold for the cabin that I wanted and wrote down the reservation number. Then I called the next morning at 8 AM EST, exactly the minute RC opens. I told the agent that I wanted to upgrade to the cabin that I had a courtesy hold on, gave him my credit card number, and was done. He asked me if I wanted to cancel my current booking and book the new one and I told him NO because that would have resulted in a penalty (about 5 weeks precruise).

We are sailing 4/21 on Liberty and have upgraded 3 times since our orginal booking with no extra fee. I paid for an inside room, saw a price drop and went to an inside promenade, then another price drop so again another call this time upgrade to an ocean view. Finally, last week another price drop that has us in an deluxe ocean view with balcony and a $50 onboard credit. I check the prices everyday to see if there was a price drop, all upgrades were made after my final payment. I will haggle with anyone to get the best possible cabin for the lowest possible price. Happy cruising!!!

Do it! Don't hesitate. We went from Balcony to JS for only the cost of $100 OBC. Last year from JS on Oasis to a Crown Loft for a total of $300! As someone said, put a courtesy hold on your desired cabin and call them and there should be no problem, unless there is a restriction like "new bookings only."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk