Getaway Illusionarium - I'm hearing things

I seem to be hearing a lot of feedback that while the Illusionarium show is pretty good, the food they serve you for dinner spoils it.

Anyone care to weigh in - good deal or give it a miss ?

Pay for the show. I heard the same thing about the Cirque show on the Epic, and the show alone was worth the money. The food is not bad, you just dont get any choices and that upsets some people. You always have the option of grabbing food elsewhere before or after the show, so IMHO the food should never ruin a show because there are so many other options as soon as it is over....I have never gone hungry on a cruise.

Enjoy the show and the experience and think of the food as a bonus.

6&8

Absolutely agree with sixandeights. My daughter didn't like the food at Cirque on the Epic, so we went to the dining room afterwards for her (actually, I think it was the buffet). It's about the show, not about the meal. Serving food simply gives them a way to charge for tickets as a "dinner show" instead of trying to explain why other shows are free and this one isn't.

Edited by sdmike

I seem to be hearing a lot of feedback that while the Illusionarium show is pretty good, the food they serve you for dinner spoils it.

Not sure where you're hearing "a lot" of this feedback but, IMO, the food was fine (we didn't leave hungry) and, as others have said, it's about the show anyway. And the show was incredible. Only way the food spoiled it was that I missed a few things when I looked down to stab a piece of steak.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

In 2010 when we sailed it was steak and shrimp with veggies. It was fine.

And it still is. We had a salad tomato and mozzarella salad as a starter and desert as well.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I have been hearing the same thing about the food at the show. I believe I even came across a review that had pictures. I personally didn't think it sounded appealing or even looked appealing, so I'm going with a mind-set that I'm going to see the show and if there happens to be something there I like, then good. If not, I'll go eat after the show.

I remember people complaining about the Epic food for the Cirque show as well. It wasn't that bad, but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about either.

The Illusionarium essentially has the same menu that Cirque does on the other NCL ships. Compared to Epic and Breakaway, I think Getaway absolutely has the best dinner show food. The appetizer was good. The mozzarella and prosciutto aren't of a particularly high quality, but only the pickiest of purists would find fault. The entrée was definitely the low point of the meal, but it was far from being a complete disaster. If they hadn't overcooked the beef tenderloin to the point that it resembled a brick, it would have been fine. The coconut shrimp component of the surf and turf was wonderful! Dessert was a little too dry and bland, although I certainly appreciated the attempt, as mundane as it was, at presentation.

Overall, it's not fantastic, but I hesitate to say that it's bad. It's about the same sort of standard you'd find in the MDRs (if not a slight notch above). Again, as others have said, it's really all about the show. The Illusionarium is absolutely fantastic! It's easily one of the best shows currently at sea on any ship. The "cruise ship magician" concept has been done to death, but, somehow, NCL has managed to revamp it and create something new and mesmerizing. In my opinion, Burn the Floor and Legally Blonde are utterly unwatchable, but the Illusionarium is a cannot miss!

I thought the food was fine for Illusionarium. It wasn't the best meal that I've had on an NCL ship, not even close. But it was good. Part of the problem for meat-eaters is that you can't specify the done-ness of your beef. I don't mind it medium, which is how it comes since it's being made in bulk for a significant number of people. However, if you want your beef done rare or even medium rare, you will be disappointed. To me, an excellent meal (one that you could rave about) would actually be a distraction to me while watching a show, so it was not a major disappointment for me that the meal was just okay. As others have said, if you're still hungry after the show, simply go to another dining venue.

Here's the menu for the Illusionarium:

IMG_8961.jpg

IMG_8962.jpg

So since you mentioned that you can't tell them how you want your meat cooked, I suppose you can't ask them to substitute the "turf" for the "surf" can you? I don't really care for meat and would rather have just the shrimp. I getting the feeling that these meals are all just pre-made at once and brought out. Correct?

Just go and enjoy it. Man people complain about everything. Relax and have fun. Show was great.

MitsuyGirl -- I think you are correct, think wedding banquet pre-plated and brought out en masse.

Yea, that's what I figured. But it's ok, maybe I can talk my hubby or one of my kids into trading my surf for their turf. LOL :D

So since you mentioned that you can't tell them how you want your meat cooked, I suppose you can't ask them to substitute the "turf" for the "surf" can you? I don't really care for meat and would rather have just the shrimp. I getting the feeling that these meals are all just pre-made at once and brought out. Correct?

Yea, that's what I figured. But it's ok, maybe I can talk my hubby or one of my kids into trading my surf for their turf. LOL :D

You can probably get them to substitute another helping of the surf instead of the turf. My friend did that at the Wine Lovers the Musical lunch and it wasn't a problem.

You can probably get them to substitute another helping of the surf instead of the turf. My friend did that at the Wine Lovers the Musical lunch and it wasn't a problem.

I think they will do this as well, as I've heard that they will accommodate a guest with fish allergies. I went to Cirque on the Breakaway and the food was identical to the menu above. It was ordinary at best, but the show was excellent. You can always head to O'Sheehan's afterwards, at least that's what I did. ;)

We were on the 2.22.14 Getaway sailing and saw Illusionarium dinner show which was EXCELLENT!!! You absolutely can request your beef cooked to your preference which I did and my request was graciously received and my steak arrived just as I ordered (rare). If no specific request was made the steaks were cooked medium. The couple seated next to us did not eat fish and requested that it be held from their dinners. Their request was also graciously met. Go, enjoy and if you have specific request...just ask!!

I thought the food was fine for Illusionarium. It wasn't the best meal that I've had on an NCL ship, not even close. But it was good. Part of the problem for meat-eaters is that you can't specify the done-ness of your beef. I don't mind it medium, which is how it comes since it's being made in bulk for a significant number of people. However, if you want your beef done rare or even medium rare, you will be disappointed. To me, an excellent meal (one that you could rave about) would actually be a distraction to me while watching a show, so it was not a major disappointment for me that the meal was just okay. As others have said, if you're still hungry after the show, simply go to another dining venue.

Here's the menu for the Illusionarium:

IMG_8961.jpg

IMG_8962.jpg

Hey, this says Lemon Pepper Shrimp! That would be great--I like Coconut and I like Shrimp, but am not fond of them together..

DS is celiac and needs a gluten free meal. This show is one of the main reasons we picked GA over BA.

Do you think they would be able to fix his meal GF? Mainly concerned about the peppercorn sauce on the steaks, the coating on the shrimp and of course all of the desserts would be really dangerous for him.

Any one have to request a GF meal at the dinner shows?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, can't believe they didn't let you pick the doneness of your steak. On the Breakaway, I ordered mine medium rare and it was done to perfection. Those that ordered well done got overcooked steak but mine was very good. Love the coconut shrimp too.

Wow, can't believe they didn't let you pick the doneness of your steak. On the Breakaway, I ordered mine medium rare and it was done to perfection. Those that ordered well done got overcooked steak but mine was very good. Love the coconut shrimp too.

Like you, we've been able to order our filet "rare" on both Breakaway and Epic so assume it's the same on Getaway. The waiter will place a white napkin at your setting to signify "special order." No problem.

They also offered eggplant parm for those not wanting the shrimp & filet. That is also considered a special order and gets a white napkin.

Our issue at Breakaway's Cirque show (excellent) was potato and broccoli that was not even warm. They did take it back and replace it.

As for the dessert, we found the "cake" rather cardboard-y.

No idea about gluten-free but assume you will be meeting with one of the maitre d's about your dinners and can find out what would be offered at the Cirque show.

We got 20% off by going the first night.;):)

DS is celiac and needs a gluten free meal. This show is one of the main reasons we picked GA over BA.

Do you think they would be able to fix his meal GF? Mainly concerned about the peppercorn sauce on the steaks, the coating on the shrimp and of course all of the desserts would be really dangerous for him.

Any one have to request a GF meal at the dinner shows?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DD has food allergies & was very well taken care of at the show. Server discussed her needs. As already mentioned her place was laid out with a white napkin & her steak was not seved with the peppercorn sauce. She also received a nutfree dessert but can't remember what it was.

Our group loved the show. We went in with low expections about the food & were pleasantly surprised.