Port Day in Barcelona

dancecj

We are not real adventerous people, usually take tours, but we did HOHO in Barcelona and totally loved it. Easy, take you to all good places and felt like we knew the area afterwards. Have fun.

I really liked the HOHO too. But, for a port day [which is shorter than if you are staying in Barcelona] they are not as good a way to get around. Each route is about 2.5 hrs long. Both routes would eat up 5 hr without ever getting off and seeing anything.

If you are willing to commit to just one route you would have enough time to see a few things.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

On one Bus Turistic route you should have time to stop at La Sagrada, the Ramblas and Parc Guell. You will see other Gaudi architecture from the upper level of the bus.

Not the most economical approach but if time got tight, you can always take a cab back to the port. A good alternative is to make a list of what you want to see and use a taxi to get from place to place. This is a good choice if there are 3 - 4 of you as it is a single fare vs. four fares on the HOHO bus.

On one Bus Turistic route you should have time to stop at La Sagrada, the Ramblas and Parc Guell. You will see other Gaudi architecture from the upper level of the bus.

Not the most economical approach but if time got tight, you can always take a cab back to the port. A good alternative is to make a list of what you want to see and use a taxi to get from place to place. This is a good choice if there are 3 - 4 of you as it is a single fare vs. four fares on the HOHO bus.

There is a METRO stop near Sagrada

Well, since we are sharing photos, this is the view from the Nativity Facade of La Sagrada Familia:

MedCruise2010106.jpg

OP: I don't know whether you will have time to visit the famous, fantastic roof of Gaudi's La Pedrera, but here it is:

MedCruise2010279.jpg

MedCruise2010254.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

• 1 month later...

Time to jump back in on this thread. :D We have decided to go to Parc Guell first because of the heat during August, then make our way to La Sagrada, and then hopefully stroll a bit through the Gothic Quarter before returning to the ship. Any advice as to what times to book for both places would be appreciated. I have no idea how crazy the ship will be that morning with most of the passengers disembarking for good, as opposed to us, just for the day. I have also read that walking to Sagrada from Parc Guell is nice, but I don't know if that makes sense for us. Thanks in advance!

Candy

• 1 month later...

Hi again. I didn't get a response for timing recommendations on my previous post. I am running out of time, so thought I would try again...

We have decided to go to Parc Guell first because of the heat during August, then make our way to La Sagrada, and then hopefully stroll a bit through the Gothic Quarter before returning to the ship. Any advice as to what times to book for both places would be appreciated. I have no idea how crazy the ship will be that morning with most of the passengers disembarking for good, as opposed to us, just for the day. I have also read that walking to Sagrada from Parc Guell is nice, but I don't know if that makes sense for us. Thanks in advance!

Hi again. I didn't get a response for timing recommendations on my previous post. I am running out of time, so thought I would try again...

We have decided to go to Parc Guell first because of the heat during August, then make our way to La Sagrada, and then hopefully stroll a bit through the Gothic Quarter before returning to the ship. Any advice as to what times to book for both places would be appreciated. I have no idea how crazy the ship will be that morning with most of the passengers disembarking for good, as opposed to us, just for the day. I have also read that walking to Sagrada from Parc Guell is nice, but I don't know if that makes sense for us. Thanks in advance!

This is what I would do

1. Get off the ship around 08:10 to 08:15. Getting in a taxi around 08:30

2. Take a taxi to Parc Guell. This should take about 25-30 minutes – maybe less as this is a Sunday- and should cost about €20-25.

3. Book your Parc Guell tickets for 09:00 (they allow you entrance up to 30 minutes beyond this so should not be a problem)

4. I would say allow about 1.5 to 2 hours in the park (assuming you are not going inside the Gaudí House Museum). So you would be leaving about 10:30-11:00.

5. If you want to walk from here to Sagrada Familia I would allow 30-45 minutes or you could get a taxi for about €6-8 and this would take about 8-10 minutes (add on time to get a taxi – there are taxis but you may need to wait a while if it is busy)

6 Book your Sagrada Familia tickets for about 12:30. This will give you some contingency time. If you are early you could spend the time looking around the outside or getting a coffee or cold drink.

7. I would allow at least 2 hours in Sagrada Familia (more if you are going up one of the towers)

8. You can then either walk (about 30 minutes) or take a taxi (about €8-10) to Plaça Catalunya or metro to Universitat and walk to Plaça Catalunya, then walk around the Gothic Quarter and Las Ramblas down to Columbus monument then get the shuttle bus from there back to the ship.