Live from the Maasdam - March 28th Southern Caribbean

kazu

I find the prune juice in the tea pot story amazing. How did it get there in the first place I wonder. I wonder if they thought she wouldn't notice. For the prices they charge for the neptune Suites that is completely inexcusable and I don't care if anyone finds that "negative" :rolleyes:.

I find the prune juice in the tea pot story amazing. How did it get there in the first place I wonder. I wonder if they thought she wouldn't notice. For the prices they charge for the neptune Suites that is completely inexcusable and I don't care if anyone finds that "negative" :rolleyes:.

I thought the same thing until I realized that prune juice easy one of the top 15 coffee substitutes!

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-drinks/15-creative-alternatives-coffee/slide/14

It just makes you love the Internet...

I thought the same thing until I realized that prune juice easy one of the top 15 coffee substitutes!

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-drinks/15-creative-alternatives-coffee/slide/14

Dude, you have to much free time:D;):D. But seriously, that's just crazy to do that.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Toooooo funny! Who knew? :D:D

I'll stick with my coffee. ;);)

I did ask the staff how it happened - they were unable to tell me - they just did not know. What I do know is that there is a definite difference between hot and cold. The tea bag was always in the pot when placed on the table so obviously the water is put in at the side board - I suspect that the carafe containing the juice was poured by the steward - who obviously was not paying attention to what she was doing.

Dude, you have to much free time:D;):D. But seriously, that's just crazy to do that.

But aren't you glad I use it to focus on the important issues like constipation relieving coffee substitutes? ;)

OK, I HAVE to share this story with you all.

DH and I along with another roll call member secured the S cabins at a sale price. How could we say no?

So, along with that comes one of the things we always enjoy - breakfast in the pinnacle grill. More on the Pinnacle later. But the hiccups kept growing here at breakfast.

Anyways we were sitting with our roll call friends and the lady orders tea every morning. You would think by day 10, they would have that figured out but she refused coffee and asked for her tea.

When the teapot came, she asked me to feel her tea. I told her I was going to contaminate her tea. She said no, I'm serious!. So I touched her teapot and it seemed cold. With her insistence, I stuck my finger in and it was ice cold. I didn't think it was tea. We thought maybe they had given her iced coffee.

So, she poured a dribble in her cup so we could figure out what it was. We were still at a loss. So she tasted it (much to her dismay after).

In her teapot was PRUNE JUICE. Yes, I kid you not. Prune juice in her teapot. It's a good thing she didn't take a big gulp.

We had a few jokes about that one that day you can be sure!:D

I am the prune juice in the teapot lady - what a shock that was. The Pinnacle staff (same every morning) tried to pour coffee for me and after 11 days still couldn't get it right. Meanwhile in the dining room the dining room stewards got it right every night and did not have to ask me again after the first night. The service in the dining room definitely shone far above what we received in the Pinnacle!

Now this is really funny :D

You know I am now thinking of Prune Juice Jokes :D ;)

Q. What do you get when you mix holy water and prune juice?

A. A religious movement : )

Well our sea days were upon us before we arrived at HMC and much to our surprise we received an invitation to a Canadian party. Yes, they had a party in the Crow's nest for Canadians. This is the first time I had seen this and it was really quite nice.

They had lovely munchies and the rinks were buy one get one for a $1 (happy hour prices).

The Crow's Nest was packed so that tells you how many Canadians there were on the trip.

Of course, we brought one of our Canadian flags and a certain roll call member (whose name will remain anonymous to protect the innocent unless they want to admit it) had great fun waving the Canadian flag.

It was a nice gesture by the ship and apparently they had done it for a couple of other nationalities as well:D

Thinking about the Canadian party, I remembered that on our Volendam cruise, there was an Australian party (I know because my SIL and her hubby were invited), and I thought "Isn't that nice!" There should have been a Canadian party, too, darn it all, there were a lot of us! Why wasn't there a Canadian party!:mad::D

With or without prune juice!

Edited by Vict0riann

Jacqui,

I loved reading your posts. Your itinerary sounded fabulous, as well! Sounds like we have another HAL ship to try, in the event there are no suitable itineraries on our favorite Prinsendam. I am anxious to hear your take on the new wine offerings!

Linda

Jacqui,

I loved reading your posts. Your itinerary sounded fabulous, as well! Sounds like we have another HAL ship to try, in the event there are no suitable itineraries on our favorite Prinsendam. I am anxious to hear your take on the new wine offerings!

Linda

Linda,

the wine menu seemed pretty much the same. There were a couple of new ones in the Navigator pack. Now, bear in mind we are white wine drinkers primarily (DH likes red but some don't like me so we seek good white wine selections). The Admiral pack is still primarily California wines which doesn't thrill me (but that's just personal selection).

There are some new wines on the menu. They seem to be trying but the mark up (sorry if I say this) is much higher than say Grey Goose ordered to your cabin. I believe the house Pinot Grigio is changed. By the glass it seemed different but the bottle (which was around $23) was somewhat drinkable ( I use that term loosely). There were some nice New Zealand wines on the menu along with a couple of others from South America. Overall, I didn't see a huge difference. They are marking down what we bring on board and pay corkage on (or the free allowance) so I don't know if that may lead to changes or not.

They are marking down what we bring on board and pay corkage on (or the free allowance) so I don't know if that may lead to changes or not.

Did they record the individual wines, or just the bottle count for corkage purposes? We just got counted, stickered, and charged.

There was no good and bad on this ship. It was either excellent or ugly. The ugly didn't ruin this wonderful cruise but it HAS to be commented on.

So, I guess, we could consider this the kazu review.

So, let's begin - the excellent - the service in the MDR - fabulous - wonderful dining room stewards, pretty dam edible food (I would rate it just below the Prinsendam) and efficient service. Our head waiter got to know us and yes we had fun with him. After day one, we got our tea pots so all the ladies were happy (sans prune juice). MDR service after we got through a couple of minor hiccups (to be expected on day one or two) was impeccable and get's a kazu's thumbs up.

More excellent - our cruise director - Rick Barnes - he was fantastic - he was everywhere making sure things were ok and touching base with the passengers. From greeting you onboard and saying farewell, he was seen in the dining room, the PG and just out and about the ship. He brought in fresh entertainment so it was not the same the entire 14 days and you can just tell he loves his job. He said he was a 'bandaid' - I guess that means they are short a cruise director but we consider ourselves blessed that we had the pleasure of him when we were on board. He has to be one of the best if not the best that we have ever seen. If you have the pleasure to be on a ship with him, you are in for a good time. A three thumbs up from kazu

Lido food - I am not a Lido fan by nature - but the food here was quite good so we did use it a few times. The bar waiters were around frequently whether you wanted a glass of cold water or a beer. Service here was very good IMO and the food selections were very, very nice. Another thumbs up from kazu

Entertainment - we liked a lot of the entertainment. Some of it was very different and very good. The only negative is that the HAL dancers are inadequate compared to the singers (who were very good). and by the way, the HAL Cats can really play when they drop the singer. They supported the performers and did a very good job.

Adagio - superb. One wrong note the first night and I could see and feel the violinist's pain. I am sure she went back to practice for hours in her room. She was very adept and played a nice mix of music that could keep anyone happy for hours. They had a huge following and deservedly so.

The Piano man - what can I say - he was FANTASTIC - there were many in the Mix every night (and kazu was there a few too).

Music on this ship was dam good and gets a kazu thumbs up.

And now.........the UGLY..... and it was ugly. I thought I had worked through this hiccup - we talked to the manager, then the MDR manager, then his manager and when we went back it seemed better - alas a brief moment in time. Yes, it's the Pinnacle Grill - ugggh. Absolutely the WORST Pinnacle Grill experience I have ever had on any ship anywhere. No butter, no napkins, no service, no people - just sad, sad, sad. Ciopalla (can't spell it) so salty you can't eat the fish in it (even after asking how salty it was and that I can't eat a lot of salt). Breakfast in there was hit or miss at the very best. The prune juice was funny, but seriously that pretty much summed up this Pinnacle Grill. 10 of us cancelled our remaining reservations and not one person asked why. hmmmmm???? I don't know about you but if I had a business and was losing it I would be asking why. It's pretty sad when suites say they are going to eat in the Lido the last day or those staying on say they will do room service. One waiter there was sweet and felt bad for her. Last day in the PG for breakfast - we had just her. The poor thing was running. I've never been in a PG on the last day for breakfast without the full staff being there (including the manager) - after all, this thank you and tip day.

PG on the Maasdam gets a huge thumbs down from the kazu - and it's a shame as our last PG experience there was wonderful. But it is what it is so now you can flame me for complaining;):rolleyes: :rolleyes: and yes, I have said so on my survey to HAL for what little that will do.

The ok - the suite luncheon. The captain and hotel manager left without even so much as making a toast or thanking us for coming. The appetizer (sushi) didn't appeal to everyone and the plates sat in front of us for a very long time. Frankly, I don't enjoy watching most tables get served and sitting there. One table had to ask for dessert (?) and we waited until it finally came. 2 hours for a lunch while everyone else but 3 tables is gone is not my idea of fine dining or appreciation. thumbs down from kazu.

The excellent - the roll call - had fun meeting and re-connecting with people. It was so nice of our cruise director to come and we really enjoyed our time there.

The excellent - the ingenuity of 2xayear who created the magnets for each port for all of our roll call. The steward 'caught' me in the act towards the end of the cruise.

Kazu's overall assessment - the cruise was wonderful. Service great everywhere but you know where by now. Great ports, great service, good food - who could ask for any more?

We weren't going to let the PG experience ruin our cruise - but it was a shame to see that this venue was handled in such a shabby manner. It was my first time with this experience in the PG and to put it mildly I was absolutely shocked.

Final analysis - Maasdam still remains one of our favourite ships :)

Great itinerary, good port times, great crew, great passengers - how could you go wrong?

ask away and if I can answer I shall:D

Thanks for checking in, Kazu, with your final thoughts. It's too bad the Pinnacle was so disappointing because it is supposed to be one of the delights of cruising with HAL.

It was a HUGE disappointment to many people sapper - and not just to us. There was no question about that.

I guess I have been spoiled and had so many good Pinnacles. The last was on the Prinsendam and I didn't expect the Maasdam to hold up to that - but I did expect the service and food I had last time on that ship - and it just didn't happen - no matter what we did or tried.

The prune juice in the tea pot is a funny story but it so encapsulates our experience it just had to be told.

the manager there should be replaced asap. The people are trying but IMO it is understaffed (there were more people in the Prinsendam on a much smaller suite ship than here). Three people on the first two days after we went up the ladder they added a fourth. But if he fourth doesn't know what to do and has no direction, it is like a useless appendage.

But it was a great cruise just the same and we were sorry to get off (always a good sign :))

Edited by kazu

Good review - I would have posted the same. I think what you had is Ciopino - and it was terribly salty when I ate it too! One of the couples who cancelled the PG did so on the third of April - had to continually had to ask when she was going to receive the credit to her account - finally on the last night of the cruise she met with the auditor at 11:00 pm. The PG on our cruise certainly could never be billed as fine dining - there wasn't anything fine about our experience there. the Maasdam is still DH's favourite ship!,

Thanks for the final addition. I like hearing the good, bad and ugly so I appreciate that. I enjoyed your thread. Thanks for spending the time and money to do it. Much appreciated.

thank you:D

First of all, welcome home, kazu, you've been missed! Hope the snow is all gone where you are now! Now some questions! (Pop quiz...:D)

1. Was there explore4 on your cruise? I'm wondering if that might have affected your Pinnacle experience. Definitely sounds like the manager needs changing! (Did they have the new dinner menu?)

2. If you don't mind me asking, how many bottles of wine did you carry on? And then, did you take your own wine to the MDR? Or just drink it all in your suite?

3. Were you told what was accomplished during the dry dock recently? Did you notice changes?

4. Did you eat at Canaletto? Did they have the new menu?

Thanks - sorry to be a nuisance!

Cioppino is the name of the soup you had. When we first owned our inn on Nantucket, there was a restaurant named Cioppino's!

Sorry to hear about your Pinnacle Grill experience. I'm not sure what's up with the Maasdam. It has been one of our favorites, too, but the last cruise had many huge hiccups, as you know!

I'm glad everything else was superb.

Edited by innlady1

First of all, welcome home, kazu, you've been missed! Hope the snow is all gone where you are now! Now some questions! (Pop quiz...:D)

1. Was there explore4 on your cruise? I'm wondering if that might have affected your Pinnacle experience. Definitely sounds like the manager needs changing! (Did they have the new dinner menu?)

2. If you don't mind me asking, how many bottles of wine did you carry on? And then, did you take your own wine to the MDR? Or just drink it all in your suite?

3. Were you told what was accomplished during the dry dock recently? Did you notice changes?

4. Did you eat at Canaletto? Did they have the new menu?

Thanks - sorry to be a nuisance!

Question 1 - yes there was Explore4 on this cruise and at the beginning the PG was overbooked - that changed quickly as people cancelled. Unfortunately they had the new dinner menu. Your choices are pretty limited so if they can't do a couple of things right - all you are left with is filet.

Question 2 - I don't mind you asking at all how many bottles of wine we brought on - everyone knows we like our wine. We carried on 4 - two free and two we paid corkage on. Another roll call member carried two on for us (hey the offered). We had a sail a way party in our suite and a few gatherings so it mostly got drank in the suite. IF you take a bottle to the MDR then take the one that you paid corkage on - they put a sticker on it so it is identified.

Question 3 - no they didn't tell us what was accomplished on the dry dock but you could tell some of the stuff that had been done. I think I posted it earlier, but the deck chairs, rugs in the suite, couch and even changes seemed new. The tube closure was still rusted though. Overall, the ship was in pretty dam good shape :) and very clean :)

Question 4 - we didn't eat in the Canaletto but they had the old menu so we were tempted but in all honesty the MDR was so good it was hard to leave. In fact, the salmon on the everyday/anytime menu on the evening MDR menu was BETTER than the salmon in the PG!

Thanks, Kazu - you get full marks! I'm going to have to do some thinking about all this. Much as I like the MDR on the ships, it is nice to have the occasional change, especially on a long cruise, and I've already booked a dinner in the PG for our anniversary. Maybe we'll try it before that, and decide if we should cancel. Oh, well.:) Any cruise is a good cruise.

Sorry to hear about your PG experience. I find that PGs are very inconsistent across the ships. The best Pinnacle Grill dinner we ever had was on the Maasdam in 2012; the worst dinners have been on Vista class ships. You just never know how it will be. I agree; it's in the management of the Grill.

Thanks, Kazu - you get full marks! I'm going to have to do some thinking about all this. Much as I like the MDR on the ships, it is nice to have the occasional change, especially on a long cruise, and I've already booked a dinner in the PG for our anniversary. Maybe we'll try it before that, and decide if we should cancel. Oh, well.:) Any cruise is a good cruise.

My thoughts would be to prebook if you have dates you want to do - you can always cancel onboard if you don't think it was worth while. honestly, this was the first time we were disappointed so that's not bad after a long number of cruises. Last time we were on the Westie it was great ;) of course it was last time we were on the Maasdam too before this.

I honestly think that the limited menu has also hurt them. If they can't do the other choices right then that doesn't leave you with much.