Music Request at Dinner

marimojo

Our big family is cruising together on Thanksgiving. So far we have 48 people coming, that is just immediate family, we expect more. We always are together for Thanksgiving and we have certain rituals, one of which, is having the song Alice's Restaurant playing while we eat Thanksgiving dinner. Does anyone know if such a request could be made - and if so to whom? Or... we could use our iPhones and some of those small cube speakers. We expect all of our tables to be together in the dining hall. I don't want anyone getting annoyed with us - saying something - and ruining our fun. I was curious if anyone has every requested certain songs be played during dinner - of if being your own music to dinner is frowned upon.

What do you think?

I don't exactly know the answer to your question, but have a music related experience. When we sailed the Dream the first time, we liked what was playing in the dining room. The genre music playing really surprised us so we asked our wait staff how they go about choosing the music and he replied that different staff bring CD's and that it was rather an informal thing how they were chosen and played. We told him that we loved it and he said that he would tell the person who switched the CDs. Wouldn't you know it, the same CD played every night of that cruise during our seating. If I shared the identity of the CD it would likely become a controversial thread so I won't.

After that experience, I would suggest you just ask. You never know :)

Please don't in the MDR. Lido is a better choice.

Yes...I agree...please don't ask for that in the MDR...you could disrupt the ambiance of those important maitre d' announcements...or the waiters dancing on tables..or worse...disrupt the conga line!!

Wow, just listened to it and that's definitely not dining music. It's actually the most weird and horrible song I've ever heard lol. I could see if it were a nice dining song and not 15 minutes long but that's definitely not appropriate for the dining room. One thing I enjoy about a cruise is dining and that would definitely ruin the experience if I heard that playing for 15 minutes.

Yes...I agree...please don't ask for that in the MDR...you could disrupt the ambiance of those important maitre d' announcements...or the waiters dancing on tables..or worse...disrupt the conga line!!

That's the reason the steakhouse is so good! But if you listened to that song I'm sure you'll agree it would be torture listening to it for 15 minutes while dining.

Family traditions are nice, but not everyone shares the same ones.

I'm not a fan of the song, and wouldn't be terribly impressed if it played during dinner in the MDR. Maybe your family could get together and listen to it before dinner. Or after dinner. Or any other time really.

I usally request Happy Birthday and they will sing that.

However when the wait staff sings I don't think they know either Alice's Restaurant or In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Last cruise the Triumph had some ole drugged out hippie with a guitar. He did some Pink Floyd. I gave him 20 bucks and told him if Carnival found out he was doing Pink Floyd they would throw him overboard.

That's the reason the steakhouse is so good! But if you listened to that song I'm sure you'll agree it would be torture listening to it for 15 minutes while dining.

Oh..absolutely true..that song could be torture for anything longer than 15 seconds!!

jimbo5544 you just might see that on youtube! stay tuned. I think it would be a hoot and a half to see that family enjoying their special day together with an old family tradition - all 18 minutes of it! Please, please bring your ipod and tape the rendition to youtube so we all can enjoy! I LOVE the idea ;-)

jimbo5544 you just might see that on youtube! stay tuned. I think it would be a hoot and a half to see that family enjoying their special day together with an old family tradition - all 18 minutes of it! Please, please bring your ipod and tape the rendition to youtube so we all can enjoy! I LOVE the idea ;-)

I have learned over time that nothing is totally out of the question. I cna see it now. 48 people very happy for 18 minutes and 1,100 not. Sounds equitible to me. Congrats on your first post on CC!

You can't get anything you want at Maitre'd Ken's Restaurants.:D

I'm waiting to hear how they'll link up all those 48+ diners to nearby tables.

Can the Steakhouse seat 48 at one time?

I'd vote for them using the Lido and give everyone a 3rd generation iPod Shuffle with a set playlist and old earbuds with no controls.:eek::D

I'd like to see 48+ yahoos blairing their ipods to that song.:p:p

Not sure I want to see that. At first I thought you were referring to age not group size and had a totally different reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Smiling Cruiser

Ken is a hell of a guy and as a Maitred I have seen him enforce rules other shy away from.;)

Maybe they can ask JH if Ken can be on the Triumph for Turkey Day and then they can ask him to croon a "Brat Pack" version. :rolleyes: :D

Lol, you're the OP of this thread. Why would you open a new account to post again? "You just might see that on youtube. stay tuned". That would imply you are in the group or the OP. Then you follow it by saying it would be a hoot to see "that" family enjoying it. Hmmmm, something's fishy...:)

Edited by rok233

Great song! I would suggest maybe asking the piano bar to play it for you. It would be after dinner of course, and a much shortened version but I think that would be your best bet and the piano bar is a lot of fun. :)

You'd have to get everyone in the party to throw in a few bucks for the guy to do a 15 minute long song!