What cay do you recommend?

DirtDiver

I've been doing tons of searching and reading, and still not sure what to do.

We will be on the Liberty of the Seas, tendered, on March 31, from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. We'd love to go see Ambergris Cay, or really any of the local islands, but not sure which to do, which water taxi to take, and if we'll have time to go see certain ones.

What would be the most safe bet? I don't mind going somewhere a bit closer than Ambergris Cay if it means we won't be super rushed...we would like to go snorkeling / swimming...but don't really have to do it with a tour guide..I don't mind going somewhere, eating, and just playing in the water.

I appreciate all the help, I've never been to this port before.

I'd like to know as well. Would save time from waiting for the tender into port and then going to the out islands. We will be going in January on the Liberty.

I understand why so many just do the expensive cruise line excursions at certain ports...as there is so little / scattered information on the web about the alternative. You would think the businesses that run the competition to the cruise excursions would do everything they could to give us the information.

I would prefer San Pedro Belize express, just outside gate and to the left..

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/#!

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen people who are picked up at their ship and avoid the tender. Is this only for excursions booked through the cruise line? Or can we do this with these other companies as well?

Thanks for the reply.

I have seen people who are picked up at their ship and avoid the tender. Is this only for excursions booked through the cruise line? Or can we do this with these other companies as well?

Those are booked using the cruiseline. :)

We did goffs caye thru island marketing. They don't pick you up at the ship. We had to tender to port first. It wasn't bad though and we had a great time. I have pictures in my review. The link is In My signature.

It is like your own private island there. It is so nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did goffs caye thru island marketing. They don't pick you up at the ship. We had to tender to port first. It wasn't bad though and we had a great time. I have pictures in my review. The link is In My signature.

It is like your own private island there. It is so nice.

Thanks for the link to your review. It looks like you enjoyed your day there. I'm trying to decided on Goffs vs Rendezvous. :o

Oh, I wanted to ask (or you ask your spouse), how far out do they take to in the boat to snorkel? Any idea how deep it is in that area?

Edited by mitsugirly

DirtDiver for snorkeling Goff’s Caye is very nice, and yes the obvious benefit of the cruise ship excursion is being picked up and dropped at the ship. That is a huge benefit because it saves valuable time that you can use for going into port later if you want. Goff’s also has a gorgeous little beach for relaxing if you only snorkel a little.

The San Pedro water taxi to Caye Caulker is 45 min each way, there are also flight options (to and from the muni airport which is closer to port)> We really loved our day limin’ at the Lazy Lizard. We didn’t snorkel but others did. But the eater views are amazing from the bar, especially the upper deck. Good food, cheap drinks, and a funky little isle to explore on foot. golf cart taxi for 4 ppl back to the taxi dock was $10US. You can also arrange for a snorkel trip from a dive shop there and hit the shark/ray alley area just off CC. Water taxi is very easy, just leave the secured port area and take 2 lefts and you’re there in 2 minutes. Another water taxi is down a bit further and has different departure times.

Thanks for the link to your review. It looks like you enjoyed your day there. I'm trying to decided on Goffs vs Rendezvous. :o

Oh, I wanted to ask (or you ask your spouse), how far out do they take to in the boat to snorkel? Any idea how deep it is in that area?

I will find out for you. I can ask when he gets home from work. I know the drive the boat out. I couldn't see it after awhile and they float in with the current.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been doing tons of searching and reading, and still not sure what to do.

We will be on the Liberty of the Seas, tendered, on March 31, from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. We'd love to go see Ambergris Cay, or really any of the local islands, but not sure which to do, which water taxi to take, and if we'll have time to go see certain ones.

What would be the most safe bet? I don't mind going somewhere a bit closer than Ambergris Cay if it means we won't be super rushed...we would like to go snorkeling / swimming...but don't really have to do it with a tour guide..I don't mind going somewhere, eating, and just playing in the water.

I appreciate all the help, I've never been to this port before.

Hello fellow cruiser!!

I'll be in port May 7th, I'm taking a private tour w/ Mark Cattouse then flying to Ambergris Caye w/ Tropic Air. What did you end up doing??

Yes I am curious what you ended up doing. I am going on liberty at the end of April and still not positive about Belize and what to do. We were thinking about doing an excursion through RC but I'm worried it's not going to be worth it. here is a copy of it. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!! ImageUploadedByForums1397605775.378398.jpg.fdd57011b017642e8ce1f2cc3536db4a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes I am curious what you ended up doing. I am going on liberty at the end of April and still not positive about Belize and what to do. We were thinking about doing an excursion through RC but I'm worried it's not going to be worth it. here is a copy of it. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!! [ATTACH]309578[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you do an attachment like that, it's too small for anyone on here to read. :)

Hello fellow cruiser!!

I'll be in port May 7th, I'm taking a private tour w/ Mark Cattouse then flying to Ambergris Caye w/ Tropic Air. What did you end up doing??

We did the Rendezvous Caye excursion through Royal Caribbean for $69 per person. The MAIN reason we did it was so that we wouldn't have to tender to port, then figure out what to do. This way, the boat picked us up right from the Liberty.

We met in Studio B where the ice show is. After everyone was there, they led us out to the boat waiting on us. It fit about 75 people or so, and took us on a 45 minute ride to Rendezvous Caye.

Once we got there, we split up into beginner, intermediate, and advanced groups...then swam out and snorkeled. Even though the description of the excursion said that we would go to the island with a boat, suit up, then take the boat out to the reef, that isn't what happened.

All in all, it was fun. The caye was small, and clean. They had a little makeshift restaurant where we were able to buy hotdogs, hamburgers, drinks, and small gifts.

They also had some dirty bathrooms.

Overall, very nice people...and a great way not to go to Belize City.

We did the Rendezvous Caye excursion through Royal Caribbean for $69 per person. The MAIN reason we did it was so that we wouldn't have to tender to port, then figure out what to do. This way, the boat picked us up right from the Liberty.

We met in Studio B where the ice show is. After everyone was there, they led us out to the boat waiting on us. It fit about 75 people or so, and took us on a 45 minute ride to Rendezvous Caye.

Once we got there, we split up into beginner, intermediate, and advanced groups...then swam out and snorkeled. Even though the description of the excursion said that we would go to the island with a boat, suit up, then take the boat out to the reef, that isn't what happened.

All in all, it was fun. The caye was small, and clean. They had a little makeshift restaurant where we were able to buy hotdogs, hamburgers, drinks, and small gifts.

They also had some dirty bathrooms.

Overall, very nice people...and a great way not to go to Belize City.

Do you have any pictures you'd like to share from there?

Do you have any pictures you'd like to share from there?

I will post pictures in the next few days.

I should add: We heard from many people who did go to Belize City that it was horrible. Also, many who went with us to the caye said they had been to Belize City in the past and wanted to avoid it. I heard more than one person call it "the worst port."

I should add: We heard from many people who did go to Belize City that it was horrible. Also, many who went with us to the caye said they had been to Belize City in the past and wanted to avoid it. I heard more than one person call it "the worst port."

Ok awesome. I'll be looking for them.

Belize City is a little scary, I agree. But if we have ever went into port, we have done the cavetubing and had an amazing time. The only time we did a ship excursion was to Bannister Island (which they don't offer anymore) and I'm just trying to find another place to go when we return in November. :)

Hello fellow cruiser!!

We considered flying to SPR but we were only in port 10 hrs and had wanted to see CKR so we went there instead. The flight schedule for TZR to SPR is very flexible, TZR /CKR not so much so we water taxied there. The flight price is the same to either place too ($72pp RT), the water taxi to CKR was $45pp RT.

After seeing the beauty of Belize on a couple cruises there we plan to return for a longer visit and will fly into SPR then.

But taking the water taxi or a flight to either place is a great option for someone who isn't looking for a snorkel, tubing, or ruins excursion.

Edited by blue_water

We've heard folks say Tortola was their worst port ever or they feared for their lives in Jamaica and couldn't believe our ears. Everyone has a different perspective of course and you shouldn't rely only in another's view. Most of the time the person did no research or never left the port area and so missed the real beauty and people.

Belize City is indeed a busy and poor city and you will want to go somewhere else for your short visit. Not planning that is the primary reason you hear these reports from these folks. We know people who stay in BC and love it there, but they're not seeing only the immediate area outside the port area.