Yorkshire Pudding

TADCruise

Oh my I've just collapsed with shock! :eek: butter! :eek: As some one said the proper way to serve them is as a starter with onion gravy :)

and at least 8" across! My late grandparents always did that; having lived through the depression in the West Riding, they knew it filled people up cheaply before the main course.

Stuart

My kids use up the leftovers by heating them with a spoon of nutella and some icing sugar on top, I think people used to have them with Jam (jelly) and butter in the olden days for pudding?

Anyway, lets hope Celebrity see this and get them back on the menu please! :D

My mother used to make it with roast beef, too - recipe from an English friend. I've done it a few times, but rarely spend the $$$ for rib roast any more!

I think, though, it would be hard to do in that type of dining setting. It's so good when is served puffed up just minutes out of the oven.

Also a Yorkshire Lass here...

We only ever have them with roast beef. My dad (who does all the cooking!) would be mortified if I ate them with any other meat and certainly not with Christmas dinner!

As for butter...?! My mum occasionally has a left over one with raspberry vinegar. Personally, I'll eat any left over Yorkies with left over, homemade gravy, poured into them. Yummmmmmy!!

Never seen them on a X cruise though. Have witnessed, and tried them, on a Thomson and P&O cruise but nothing beats my dad's! :)

My kids use up the leftovers by heating them with a spoon of nutella and some icing sugar on top, I think people used to have them with Jam (jelly) and butter in the olden days for pudding?

Leftover? What on earth is a leftover yorkshire:confused:

This does not exist in my house :D

The "hole" in the Yorkshire is meant for gravy not butter :eek:

lol

I am of Indian descent .... never ate a Yorkshire until I met my hubby's family who are of British descent. Don't think I would have received MIL's approval if I were not able to cook a nice roast dinner for her son :p

Never ever seen it on a Celebrity cruise. Hey I have, in a pinch, used butter also, when there just wasn't enough fat from the prime rib, and it actually works great. I also make the batter in the blender and make the batter a day before and let it rest in the fridge.

Saw this thread yesterday and it inspired me to try my hand at making one last night. I had short ribs that I had slow roasted the day before but didn't get around to eating. Skimmed the beef tallow off the top and used it to grease my pan (though I think I went a little overboard) and baked up a puffy, divine Yorkshire pudding that perfectly complemented our short ribs, creamy polenta, and roasted root vegetables. It was SO easy - I will be making it any time I have some beef drippings :)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Saw this thread yesterday and it inspired me to try my hand at making one last night. I had short ribs that I had slow roasted the day before but didn't get around to eating. Skimmed the beef tallow off the top and used it to grease my pan (though I think I went a little overboard) and baked up a puffy, divine Yorkshire pudding that perfectly complemented our short ribs, creamy polenta, and roasted root vegetables. It was SO easy - I will be making it any time I have some beef drippings :)

Brilliant, love this post!!!! Lets get the whole world making yorkshire puds!!

We always have the Yorkshire pudding with the beef, my uncle in London always served it as a starter.

We also have it a as sweet, same mix, with rhubarb or apple in it, cook, an serve with sugar. Delicious!!!

Our grandchildren like it either way!

Glad to see it inspired you.

Toad in the hole should be your next recipe :)

My mom, now in her 70's would eat the leftovers with Jam when she was a kid in England.

Hope they can do Bangers and Mash in the suite restaurant!

Nothing my wife likes better!

I'm sure if you ask nicely enough, they will be able to sort it :) We had a sky suite for our honeymoon and didn't use our butler enough. I should have asked him for things like this! We did have a discussion at our table about English custard which the kitchen tried to make.

I showed my husband a recipe for Toad in the Hole and he wants to be your new BFF! ;)

lol. Glad I'm giving you ideas :) It's not something we eat often but think I might have to do one next week now. You need lots of gravy to go with it too.

Edited by Cooso

As long as its served with mushy peas & HP sauce ;)

Don't get us started on the HP again, remember our countdown roll call pictures :D :p.

We did have a discussion at our table about English custard which the kitchen tried to make it.

Asked last week on Indy to have mine warmed - cold custard on apple strudel - no thanks :eek:. They had to take it to the buffet area to have it heated. Cold custard is only for trifles in our house :D.

Don't get us started on the HP again, remember our countdown roll call pictures :D :p.

Asked last week on Indy to have mine warmed - cold custard on apple strudel - no thanks :eek:. They had to take it to the buffet area to have it heated. Cold custard is only for trifles in our house :D.

Yuck to mushy peas and never seen them served with toad in the hole :)

Brown sauce on a sausage and mushroom bap - fab! Let's not start the bread name debate though. Lol

And was it real custard?? Our chef served us 'cream anglaise' cold and thin. It was tasty enough but not proper custard.

Yuck to mushy peas and never seen them served with toad in the hole :)

I think he was referring to mushy peas being served with bangers and mash!

Brown sauce on a sausage and mushroom bap - fab! Let's not start the bread name debate though. Lol

On a bacon cob is my DH's favourite :).

And was it real custard?? Our chef served us 'cream anglaise' cold and thin. It was tasty enough but not proper custard.

Not real custard, too thin, but not too bad once hot (not just warmed)...lol

Lara,

See replies above.

Our sailing in April is sure going to be fun :D :cool:.

Haha, forgot I mentioned bangers and mash, still all about the gravy :)

I might have to pack some HP brown sauce although I'm planning on lots of waffles for breakfast.

Custard sounds similar to what we had. Might ask for another attempt. Lol

April will be fab.

Edited by Cooso

As a child in South Yorkshire my Mum always used to tell us she called in at Grandma's on the way home from the village school at lunchtime for a square of Yorkshire pudding with raspberry vinegar straight from the oven in the 1920's. We always had them for starters with gravy on a Sunday before the joint of sirloin. Yummy!! My children and grandchildren love them too.