my passport expires the day before my cruise

billy10

Take your expired passport with you!!

It can still be used on a closed loop cruise.

If you are a female with a different name now than the one on your birth certificate, it can be used to prove the name change.

Take your original birth certificate and government ID as well. Marriage certificate can be carried too. More is always better in terms of travel documents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 6 months past your cruise requirement is basically only applicable to cruises in Europe. In the Caribbean, as long as the passport is valid through your disembarkation date, it's good.

In that link Carnival "recommends" a passport (good for up to 6 months after cruise), but it's not a requirement.

My daughter's expires in July, and we cruise in April. I hadn't even thought that it might be an issue. We are cruising out of galveston on the triumph. Definitely wont be an issue, right?

\\

We are in our 80s; and our passports expire in Nov 2014

If I understand what you are saying we don't have to renew the expensive

passports, but can use our enhanced drivers licensed instead?

dot

Frankly, if you are in your 80's and leaving the country, I would think it would probably be a good idea to have a passport.

Take your expired passport with you!!

It can still be used on a closed loop cruise.

If you are a female with a different name now than the one on your birth certificate, it can be used to prove the name change.

Take your original birth certificate and government ID as well. Marriage certificate can be carried too. More is always better in terms of travel documents.

An expired passport is not listed as a WHTI compliant document, so it may or may not work depending on the person checking you in.

If I am not mistaken, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the passports had to be valid until 30 days after the return.:confused::eek:

Incorrect. As long as the passport is valid the day one re-enters the United States, that person will be fine. People often confuse this with the "Six Month Rule" and try to apply it to cruises. The Six Months Validity Rule is imposed by foreign countries, and not by the United States. It simply means that your passport should be valid for more than six months before you would be allowed to enter a foreign destination. This rule is in place so that if an un-expecting traveler needs to stay for a period up to six month their passport would be valid to leave the country. This applies to people visiting those countries by air. It generally does not apply to cruise visitors visiting for just the day.

I'm not sure of the timeline, but you won't be able to use it for the cruise. I believe it has to be the original with the raised seal.

Make sure your Birth Certificate is an original (raised seal) and not a copy.

Incorrect. While an original issued certificate is recommended (and highly encouraged), copies have also been accepted. Also, more and more we are seeing official/certified birth certificates being issued that do not have a seal. Many certificates issued today now contain enhanced security features to confirm validity such as watermarks, holograms, heat sensitive ink, etc.

The passport needs to be valid for 6 months after the cruise.

Incorrect. Again, another case of trying to apply the "Six Month Rule" to cruises. Please see the first answer above.

If I understand what you are saying we don't have to renew the expensive passports, but can use our enhanced drivers licensed instead?

Correct. However, only if you have a enhanced license/photo identification card. As another poster stated, your location is Florida, and that state does not currently issue enhanced licenses. If you had one, it would say "Enhanced" on it. Many people confuse Enhanced licenses with Secured licenses, which is licenses and non-license photo identification cards coming in compliance with the Real ID Act of 2005.

Take your expired passport with you!! It can still be used on a closed loop cruise.

Incorrect. An expired passport can not be used to as identification for re-entry into the United States. This also includes a expired driver license/photo identification card. An expired passport is just as worthless as Caribbean dollars in an United States Wal-Mart.

Edited by ExCCL

Like I said, take everything, including the expired passport. Never hurts. Better more than not enough

We took everything several times for my mother and every time, the cruise rep preferred the expired passport.

The passport needs to be valid for 6 months after the cruise. If it is a closed loop cruise, then an original birth certificate and government picture ID will work.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx?icid=HSiteSearchPassport

Defiantly not true. DH and I both have passports that expired the middle of March, 2014,( just got busy and didn't get around to renewing them in time for our trip), and we sailed on Liberty last month. It was a closed loop cruise, so I took our birth certificates, just in case, but no one ever asked for them or made any comments that our passports were about to expire.

When booking a cruise I guess one thing to put on your "to do" list is check your passport expiry date...we got our renewed last year and got the 10 year passports (Canadian)... Won't have to think about it for a while!!

Sent from my Ipad

that is what we thought; boy has that 10 years flown by (61 cruises) dot

\\

We are in our 80s; and our passports expire in Nov 2014

If I understand what you are saying we don't have to renew the expensive

passports, but can use our enhanced drivers licensed instead?

dot

But if you need to be flown back to the States you'll have to wait for the consulate/embassy to process the paperwork. Don't want to do that if I'm ill or injured in a foreign country.

another question; does anyone know anything about PASSPORT CARDs

CAN they be used for just sailing in the Caribbean?

thanks in advance for any help

dot

Yes but you cannot fly with them. See the above post.

A US citizen on a closed loop cruise can use an original birth-certificate, or a certified copy, along with government issued ID. I've been on 4 cruises this way using the certified copy. My mother lost my original :rolleyes:. I've never had a problem.

**Edited to add, if you're worried, I would call the cruise line and double check.

Edited by EasyBreezy83

thanks everyone I will bring my birth certificate & expired passport & hope I get to board

Yiks!!! no you need VALID (not expired) Photo ID.... Bring current (not expired ) drivers license or some other govt issued photo ID

Your expired passport is not acceptable!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But if you need to be flown back to the States you'll have to wait for the consulate/embassy to process the paperwork. Don't want to do that if I'm ill or injured in a foreign country.

does this apply if you have Carnival Insurance? We don't get off the ship anymore (been to all the islands)

does this apply if you have Carnival Insurance? We don't get off the ship anymore (been to all the islands)

It doesn't matter what kind of insurance you have. If you need to fly to the US from a foreign port, you have to have a passport.

If you sailed to the place that you needed to fly home from without a passport, you will have to wait for the paperwork to be processed in the port you are in before you are allowed to fly home.

I think you are in fact correct .

In fact you are incorrect.

I don't know how people think your US passport must be valid for any amount of time to get back into the USA. As long as your passport has not expired you are allowed back into the USA.

Yiks!!! no you need VALID (not expired) Photo ID.... Bring current (not expired ) drivers license or some other govt issued photo ID

Your expired passport is not acceptable!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You may be correct but I'm not 100% sure. I do know for that an expired passport is sufficient proof of identity when an employer is hiring someone (you can use an expired passport, or if you have a driver's license you can use that PLUS a birth certificate). It seems like the expired passport is not entirely worthless - so I wonder if you have that plus a birth certificate if that would be sufficient.

Personally, I would never chance it. But I am curious about it. I don't see where it says that it has to be currently valid when used in conjunction with birth certificate.

You may be correct but I'm not 100% sure. I do know for that an expired passport is sufficient proof of identity when an employer is hiring someone (you can use an expired passport, or if you have a driver's license you can use that PLUS a birth certificate). It seems like the expired passport is not entirely worthless - so I wonder if you have that plus a birth certificate if that would be sufficient.

Personally, I would never chance it. But I am curious about it. I don't see where it says that it has to be currently valid when used in conjunction with birth certificate.

From the Carnival FAQ:

In addition to proof of citizenship (birth certificate), a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License

• Driver’s Permit

• School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

• Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation

Presenting documents for employment is not the same as presenting documents for travel. An expired passport is still proof of citizenship but is not listed as a WHTI compliant document. I would leave the expired passport at home and bring a birth certificate and valid, non-expired government ID.