Second Guessing My Cruise Decision

Dancin85

Have you ever 2nd guessed yourself on the cruise you booked?

DH is a land lover. Avid hunter almost year round. Fishes sometimes. Drag races. He is NOT a water or beach person BUT for our 35th Anniversary he told me to book a cruise, since I've always wanted to go on one with him.

I went with a friend years ago on the NCL Spirit. Loved it.

I have booked the Equinox for the 11 day Central America/Panama cruise in December (yes, DH told me he'd miss some of hunting season to go on a cruise with me. I may keep him another 35 years).

Now I am having second thoughts. For his 1st cruise, it may be a bit long. Several friends that cruise, and know DH, agree that he may be climbing the walls before it is over. And I definitely want him to have fun so he will want to cruise again, again, and again :)

I definitely want to leave out of Fort Lauderdale/Miami area, and there are several shorter options. 5-9 days but 5 days will be tooooo short for me. Late October to mid December.

The Constellation, Silhouette, Infinity, and Reflection would all fit in the 7-9 days and the time of year.

My TA said I can move my deposit. I also can upgrade to CC or AQ on one of these with the savings from the longer cruise.

The main thing is DH have a very good time. I can have a good time anytime I am on the water or beach. :D

Have you ever 2nd guessed yourself? and any suggestions????

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I absolutely love cruising, but after my last 10 day cruise, even I was ready to get back home. If you want hubby to love cruising, I think you're probably right to look at a 7-day. Pick one of the other Solstice ships.

A husband who is a outdoor guy would love the Panama Canal, central Amercia. But anything less than 15 days is only not a full transit of the canal which is absolutely a wonder of the world. Nevertheless, stopping at Colon Panama and taking the train or ferry through the whole canal would be second best. If you stop in Costa Rica or Gautemala lots of out door tours to do: volcanos, rain forests, zip lines, coffee plantations, river tours, snorkling, etc.

I would go to the port of call forum: Panama and post there also for more tips about ahe 11 day itinerary.

I think you will both have a great annivesary cruise.

The only cruise I ever cancelled was a Mediterranean cruise when they were rioting in Greece. Not related to your reason. I just wanted to avoid any possible worries at the time. That being said, the 11 day does seem a little long for a starter. You don't say how many sea days there are, but it might be wise to choose a cruise with few sea days to introduce a dubious rookie.

DH is a land lover. Avid hunter almost year round. Fishes sometimes. Drag races. He is NOT a water or beach person BUT for our 35th Anniversary he told me to book a cruise, since I've always wanted to go on one with him.

I have booked the Equinox for the 11 day Central America/Panama cruise in December (yes, DH told me he'd miss some of hunting season to go on a cruise with me. I may keep him another 35 years).

Now I am having second thoughts. For his 1st cruise, it may be a bit long. Several friends that cruise, and know DH, agree that he may be climbing the walls before it is over. And I definitely want him to have fun so he will want to cruise again, again, and again :)

I definitely want to leave out of Fort Lauderdale/Miami area, and there are several shorter options. 5-9 days but 5 days will be tooooo short for me. Late October to mid December.

The Constellation, Silhouette, Infinity, and Reflection would all fit in the 7-9 days and the time of year.

My TA said I can move my deposit. I also can upgrade to CC or AQ on one of these with the savings from the longer cruise.

The main thing is DH have a very good time. I can have a good time anytime I am on the water or beach. :D

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

My husband isn't a beach lover either...I could snorkel and swim at the various ports and cruise for a month.

After about 9 days hubby is ready to go home....

Is your hubby into sightseeing? Adventuresome things like ziplining and ATV drives, etc? I think arranging these excursions to get him "off the ship" when possible would make him a happier "cruiser".

Barbara

IMHO, it took my hubby a long time to convince me to try cruising. But when he did, I fell in love with it. Our first cruise was an 11 day Mediterranean cruise. The length of time is not the issue, per se, it's more about too many sea days. Personally, I think the 7 day Caribbean itineraries are a little boring.

My husband's gamble paid off because he addressed my concerns. For example, if your husband doesn't like beachy things, don't do any beach excursions. If he likes outdoorsy stuff, do jeep adventures, or 4-wheeling stuff. If he is concerned that he will be bored on the boat, plan ahead to provide activities that he enjoys doing, bring books or cards, or whatever. Look at the dailies that are posted by other cruisers. if he likes beer, make sure that he spends time the venue that serves more beer varieties. If he doesn't like to dress up, plan to eat at other venues on formal nights. If he's afraid of motion sickness, get a lower, more centrally located cabin and maybe get a prescription for Scope patches.

IF he can tolerate the cruise, suggest that you plan an Alaskan cruise for your next one!

Congratulations on your anniversary! Such a milestone deserves a longer cruise than one week, in my opinion. I don't think 11 days is too long if you plan some exciting outdoorsy excursions that your husband will love. Personally I thought the zip lining and cave tubing excursions were great, and you don't need to be athletic to enjoy them. There may be a fishing excursion offered in one of the ports, or some other activity that will exciting for your husband.

If you keep him busy during the port days and don't torture him with walking around the port towns shopping (especially for jewellery!), he may find he enjoys relaxing on the ship on the sea days. If he has never been on a ship before, he may enjoy just marvelling at the size and beauty of the ship. If he's a reader, make sure he brings some good books to enjoy.

Unless he's very health conscious, you might want to avoid Aqua Class if he enjoys more hearty fare. My husband likes Aqua Class for the ambiance but overall, I think he enjoys the food in the main dining room more. If you are a sociable couple, request a large table at fixed dining so you can enjoy the camaraderie of dining with other couples. The people we have met have been the highlight of our cruises.

I hope you have a terrific time whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If your husband is not a beach lover, a Caribbean cruise may not be the best choice. We are not particularly fond of the Caribbean for that reason.

We found the Panama Canal to be very interesting and the time in Costa Rica would appeal to an outdoor lover. If there are not too many sea days I would think this would be a good choice for a first time cruiser. When we started cruising it was the interesting ports that got DH hooked. Later he began to enjoy the ship and sea days.

A husband who is a outdoor guy would love the Panama Canal, central Amercia. But anything less than 15 days is only not a full transit of the canal which is absolutely a wonder of the world. Nevertheless, stopping at Colon Panama and taking the train or ferry through the whole canal would be second best. If you stop in Costa Rica or Gautemala lots of out door tours to do: volcanos, rain forests, zip lines, coffee plantations, river tours, snorkling, etc.

I would go to the port of call forum: Panama and post there also for more tips about ahe 11 day itinerary.

I think you will both have a great annivesary cruise.

Azulann is right. My DH is very much the out doors type and there is plenty to do on the Central American Cruise. There is just one thing my hubby detested and that was a port intensive cruise. He felt in a hurry all the time and it killed it for him. Next time out we went to Bermuda, almost three days there and plenty to do and see. We have been back 6 times. Only thing is it doesn't meet your time frame. Maybe your TA can find you a cruise that is much less port intensive , yet gives you a variety of things to see and do. But no matter what have a great time.:D

All of you are making good points. I can see the pros and cons better now.

We did talk about Alaska in depth but decided in the next 2 years to just fly there and travel on our own.

It would help if DH would give me some input other than...."whatever makes you happy" and "I have no way to decide what I'd like or not like on a cruise".

I think that's called passing the buck! and not the kind hanging on our walls.

Go on the roll call , see what activities are planned for sea days. We did the Panama Canal a number of years ago in the other direction, it was wonderful. Never felt to long and it was only our second cruise. The CARRIBEAN is great For beaches or water sports or an occasional fishing trip but I'd go with the Canal or Alaska w/ land package to really fall in love with cruising.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Ps IMHO... Unless the concierge cabin is a wash (price) with regular balcony..save your money for a few extra drinks or tour.

We did talk about Alaska in depth but decided in the next 2 years to just fly there and travel on our own.

I'd agree with that. As an avid outdoors person, the Alaska cruise I went on just made me want to fly back and really do it in depth :-)

For a first cruise 10-11 nights does seem long, but if you pack the port days with lots of outdoorsy activities, the sea days will be nice for relaxation. I packed my Alaska port days with hiking and kayking. We were so exhausted that the sea days flew by as relaxation days!

My husbands an outdoors man too hunting and fishing is what he loves no beaches for him . I did surprise him for our 20th anniversary with an Alaskan cruise he loved it we went bear trecking whale watching and on a float plane ride we had the time of our lives. Our next cruise booked for Oct 14 is a 13 night med cruise and he is as excited as I am so im sure whatever you do you guys will have a blast enjoy :o

I don't consider myself the outdoor type but I have spent a lot of time in Alaska the last 15+ years. Have never taken a cruise there and don't plan to,too touristy. Been up there both summer and winter from 2 wks. to 6 wks. at a time. Just got back and am going there 6 wks. in June.If your husband is the outdoor type he definitely needs to do a land tour.There aren't too many roads I haven't been on and also have taken many ferry rides which are better than a cruise. In the summer I fish,fish,fish. In the winter I icefish,icefish,icefish. Can't get enough of it! It also helps to have family living up there.:):):)

There have been some very good comments!

But:confused: back up to the Nov 10th sailing and join our FUN little group! So far there are 11 celebrating their 60th BD's, 5 couples their 30th Anniv, 2 their 35th and a few more 40-45.

Oki, cant move the date, and 11 is a tad long, the Reflection would be our 2nd best. After 25 yrs it is my wite's favorite ship. Good luck:)

All of you are making good points. I can see the pros and cons better now.

It would help if DH would give me some input other than...."whatever makes you happy" and "I have no way to decide what I'd like or not like on a cruise".

I think that's called passing the buck! and not the kind hanging on our walls.

my husband had his nose in the air 10 yrs ago about cruise/went to Alaska 7 day on Diamond Princess, balcony of course......he was hooked/loves it now...

you can go back to Alaska many times in all sorts of venues

Personally, I would start there

Once we had to cancel a cruise.

We were tempted by a good offer from one of so-called "luxury lines".

Later we did our homework (homework should always be done before)....

So.. late cancellation fee did not stop us. We cancelled "luxury" cruise and had a great cruise vacation on a different ship.

I have absolutely reliable "prescription" for cruise first timers in the Caribbean.

But I am not sure about "not water or beach" person.

The Caribbean means azure waters and beautiful beaches.:)

May be it's time to do what I recommend to all first timers: leave all your habits on land. This is cruise life!

After 7 days on Celebrity cruise I had a strong feeling: it's time to disembark!

After 7 days on the Eurodam: I wish I could stay here forever!

I think it's better to start from 7 days.

If you want (can afford) a longer vacation - I would take 7+7 on different ships.

My prescription: Allure of the Seas + HAL Eurodam from Fort Lauderdale.

General idea: don't be a hostage of the deposit you paid!

BTW you can ask about the possibility to transfer the deposit to Royal Caribbean.

Why not Celebrity for fist timers?

Cruising is a pleasure. But it consists of many "pleasures" that constitute the whole PLEASURE of cruising.

Celebrity product is designed the way that does not cover all cruising pleasures.

On other ships you can find more cruise life in all its aspects than on Celebrity.

So the first timer (if your plan is to convert him into regular cruiser) needs a stronger "medication". The first "dose" must be strongest to produce reliable therapeutic effect.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by cruisetrail

In Cozumel my DH took a bottom fishing shore-ex which he really enjoyed. There are also deep-sea fishing opportunities out of other Central America ports.

Look for more unique opportunities- in Colon Panama, we took a private tour with an Embera Indian guide via dugout to a village deep in the jungle. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Cave- tubing in Belize sounds like fun, although we opted for a ship ex to the Xunantunich Mayan ruin.

Sea days can prove difficult for the antsy-type, but if you choose active activities for your ports, your DH might just enjoy chillaxing!

We had about 20 1st time cruisers join us on a 17-night Singapore-Sydney cruise on Solstice, with about 10 sea days, and they all loved it - including an avid hunter.

I agree with the suggestions of planning some great outdoorsy shore experiences so DH can get his nature fix and think it would be a great choice for your anniversary cruise. Enjoy your celebration :)

Cheers

Ando

Lots of good suggestions and shore excursions for the adventurer is made for your husband. As to length of cruise, our first 7 day was too short. We did 8 day and loved it. Even we thought 9 day was long. We are going on cruise 10 in the spring and cruise 11 in the fall. They are both 7 days.