Star to Alaska in June - Questions

MrDavid

Friends,

Having missed our March trip to Hawaii due to illness we have turned our attention to a May - June trip on the Star to Alaska. I see some nice 11 day itineraries. A couple questions for those that have done the Alaska trips:

1. Would you choose inside passage with Glacier Bay or Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord?

2. There are some mini-suites on the Dolphin deck that are forward some port and some starboard. Which side is best for sightseeing in the Fjords, etc.?

3. Are the pools going to be too cold to swim? Is the atrium area warm enough to swim in for example?

4. Is there any particular shore tour or attraction that is "can't miss"?

FYI - age ranges are 6-87 so this is a family cruise.

Thanks everyone. Have a great day.

David

Friends,

Having missed our March trip to Hawaii due to illness we have turned our attention to a May - June trip on the Star to Alaska. I see some nice 11 day itineraries. A couple questions for those that have done the Alaska trips:

1. Would you choose inside passage with Glacier Bay or Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord?

2. There are some mini-suites on the Dolphin deck that are forward some port and some starboard. Which side is best for sightseeing in the Fjords, etc.?

3. Are the pools going to be too cold to swim? Is the atrium area warm enough to swim in for example?

4. Is there any particular shore tour or attraction that is "can't miss"?

FYI - age ranges are 6-87 so this is a family cruise.

Thanks everyone. Have a great day.

David

1) Glacier Bay

2) It does not really matter the Captain will turn the ship around for all to see when at the end of Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay.

3) Outside pools will be cold, yes there is a covered pool.

4) Taku Lodge flightseeing tour in Juneau.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Select Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is often missed in May/June time frame.

See if you can find a mini suite on Emerald deck (covered balcony). I usually spend the time on Glacier days on deck, so I am not sure which side is better.

There is a covered pool that you can swim in regardless of weather.

Tons of tours - you may want to check out the Alaska board. Generally, tours in Alaska can be pricey as some involve taking a helicopter and landing on a glacier. There are cheap ones but definitely try to budget as tours do cost more in Alaska.

Select Glacier Bay. Tracy Arm is often missed in May/June time frame.

See if you can find a mini suite on Emerald deck (covered balcony). I usually spend the time on Glacier days on deck, so I am not sure which side is better.

There is a covered pool that you can swim in regardless of weather.

Tons of tours - you may want to check out the Alaska board. Generally, tours in Alaska can be pricey as some involve taking a helicopter and landing on a glacier. There are cheap ones but definitely try to budget as tours do cost more in Alaska.

I agree 100%. I'd try for an Emerald deck mini if at all possible. The reason is that it can be chilly, windy and rainy so that having a covered and somewhat protected balcony will be more usable.

The most spectacular fjords in Glacier Bay are on the port side. The Captain turns the ship around so everyone can see but the port side sees them first. The negative to staying on your balcony is that you won't hear the commentary which is broadcast over the PA on public decks. You might hear it a little on Emerald deck since Promenade deck is directly below.

I have not been on the Star Princess but have been to Alaska on a cruise many times and even worked in Alaska. As far as which cruise I would go on I would take the one to Glacier Bay.

As far as tours a helicopter tour onto a glacier is a must if you can afford it.

A whale watch especially in Juneau is great.

A trip on the White Pass Railway in Skagway has fantastic views and photography opportunities.

In Ketchikan a kayak trip is fun and the totem parks are quite interesting.

I agree 100%. I'd try for an Emerald deck mini if at all possible. The reason is that it can be chilly, windy and rainy so that having a covered and somewhat protected balcony will be more usable.

The most spectacular fjords in Glacier Bay are on the port side. The Captain turns the ship around so everyone can see but the port side sees them first. The negative to staying on your balcony is that you won't hear the commentary which is broadcast over the PA on public decks. You might hear it a little on Emerald deck since Promenade deck is directly below.

Not to disagree with Pam, but when we were on the Star in Alaska we could get the commentary on our TV in the cabin, so with the TV turned up loud, and the balcony door open some we could hear outside. It worked for us.

Not to disagree with Pam, but when we were on the Star in Alaska we could get the commentary on our TV in the cabin, so with the TV turned up loud, and the balcony door open some we could hear outside. It worked for us.

Yes on our Star trip too.

Other than the fact that you shouldn't have your door open (it screws up the heating/AC system) and perhaps for whatever reason your neighbor is resting, that's a good idea.

We did AK cruise tour Aug 2012 and have booked another for Aug 2015 (prob the best cruise I have ever done with Canada/NE coming next!). As for starboard vs port it's a personal preference as prev stated since boat does a 360 in the Glacier Bay areas etc but we spent most of that day up top either adding clothes or taking layers off (it actually got warmer the farther we got into Glacier area due to radiant heat from the ice or that was my reasoning anyway). My one key point and reason for posting is to research ports and excursions. There are many ways to save $$ and still have a wonderful experience. Ship tours are pricier and more crowded. We rented a jeep in Skagway and went up to the Yukon. Jeep ran us about $200 or less for the day and we could stop where/when we wanted. A flight tour was not to be missed in Ketchikan and I booked with a wonderful family run company and saved money and had a great time. There were 5 of us plus pilot and I sat in front with him (that was a real hurdle for me cause I had never been on a plane that size and was a little leery of that whole adventure!!). I would do it again in a heart beat tho with the same people. Juneau is whale watching area. Harv and Marv Co had rave reviews and we went with them and they were wonderful! The Capt was a woman prob my age or close (50+) and she was great. Again there were FIVE of us plus her on the boat. The big huge boats out there were a joke. Crammed full of people, all jockeying for position to see things. She took us around the back side of a small island I guess you'd call it and there were seals EVERYWHERE! In the water, on the banks, playing, romping, fighting etc. she said it's called a "haul out" because they haul themselves out of the water. Duh--easy to remember that one! I even took a short video of them and you can hear the changes in their voices--we were that close. Just remembered.....her name was Capt Jill.

PAM--this part is for you. We are going back as I said but want to see some other things on the land portion. I do NOT however want to go back to Fairbanks tho for anything. We currently have a cruise tour booked late August on the Star I believe it is (3 trips on Coral inc last week to PC again and I need a break from her). We both really enjoyed Denali and that lodge property and want to go back there. Liked the lodge @ Talkeetna too but nothing to do there but trails with a guide and its a LONG bus ride into Talkeetna and not really much there either. I'm wondering if we should just put our own land portion together and board in Whittier for SB Glacier cruise. Thoughts?????

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

PAM--this part is for you. We are going back as I said but want to see some other things on the land portion. I do NOT however want to go back to Fairbanks tho for anything. We currently have a cruise tour booked late August on the Star I believe it is (3 trips on Coral inc last week to PC again and I need a break from her). We both really enjoyed Denali and that lodge property and want to go back there. Liked the lodge @ Talkeetna too but nothing to do there but trails with a guide and its a LONG bus ride into Talkeetna and not really much there either. I'm wondering if we should just put our own land portion together and board in Whittier for SB Glacier cruise. Thoughts?????

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you are interested in an independent option for mainland Alaska, then look into it. Group point to point Alaska travel sees the least. Head to your library, it is important to do your homework and find out what areas you want to be in. If you were in Fairbanks with only a cruise tour, you saw very little of that city. It has many treasures that I'm sure you missed. I wouldn't be so fast to make decisions until you determine what areas are of interest. Figure out how you will spend your time, and be certain to allow more than enough time. It is common to have the "hectic" comments attached to land tours. In my opinion this is poor planning.