EQUINOX - 10 Day Ultimate Caribbean - Picture Trip Report 3/14/14...

FRMPEI

Very nice shot Mr Reid!:)

When all seven of us arrived at this spot we stood in awe of the view in front of us.

Our first trip to Roatan was 2011 at Mohogany Bay and we found this independent driver, Ruben, outside the compound for a private tour and took his card/e-mail. When we were back in 2012 we arranged to meet Ruben again we told him we wanted to go Zip Lining and he arranged Jungle Top Zip Lining for us.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Best review and pictures I've ever seen of the Equinox! Thanks so much for posting! Can't wait to board her in December. :D

I am also glad that you are enjoying my Photo Trip Report. You sure will enjoy Equinox in December are you going on the 10 or 11 day cruise? I would love to go an cruise just before Christmas that way you avoid the high price of a Holiday cruise and leave pre Christmas rush back at home.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Oooo, oooo, pick me, pick me!! That would be the Millennium Force. At the time it was built it was the highest peak, 310 feet, and sharpest angel of decent, 80 degrees in the world. From personal experience, 80 degrees feels like straight down.

Mark are you also a coaster nerd? Other facts about Millennium Force:

Opened Spring 2000

Built by Intamin

1st Coaster to break the 300 ft height record (complete circuit)

1st coaster to use a cable lift (elevator) rather than traditional chain lift

Always appears at the top of Top 10 Roller Coaster Polls since 2000.

We first rode June 2000. (My 40th birthday coaster trip)

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Mark are you also a coaster nerd? Other facts about Millennium Force:

Opened Spring 2000

Built by Intamin

1st Coaster to break the 300 ft height record (complete circuit)

1st coaster to use a cable lift (elevator) rather than traditional chain lift

Always appears at the top of Top 10 Roller Coaster Polls since 2000.

We first rode June 2000. (My 40th birthday coaster trip)

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I love (loved?) roller coasters, but haven't been on any in many years. Once the kids moved out there wasn't much reason to visit the parks any longer. We went to Cedar Point in 2002 if I remember correctly. Beth is from Michigan and spent a lot of Summers at Cedar Point. Being from Florida the coasters I rode most were at 6 Flags in Atlanta, Busch Gardens in Tampa and Universal Studios in Orlando. Universal has the Hulk, which as the #1 ranked coaster one year.

Fantastic review Kevin...we are also on the same cruise in December...have never gone that early in the season but like the pre-Christmas thing...

Why a big thank you going out to Alberta. So what of Alberta do you live in. We lived in Calgary from 1984-1996 and both of our son were born there.

Have a great time on your pre Christmas cruise aboard the beautiful Celebrity Equinox. Donna was looking at the early December cruise which is quite reasonable but, not in the budget. Would love to take our boys on a pre Christmas Cruise.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Great job spotting those wonderful red and white flags Maritimer!!

Congratulations on a very well written 'trip report'. We are looking to do Equinox Feb. '15 and really appreciated the plethora of great pictures accompanied by the running commentary.

It looks like you all had a fabulous cruise Thank you for taking the time to report.

I've been enjoying this review very much, especially the amazing photos and wonderful commentary! Thanking you for putting so much time into this, it really does get enjoyed by so many!

I have a question about the Sky Safari ziplining you did in St. Kitt's. We will be there in Feb/15 on Eclipse and I'm thinking this would be something different to do...we've never ziplined before but it looks like something I can cross off my bucket list. Did you book this tour privately with the company or was it a ship's tour? Someone on my roll call said they did this tour before and they also went to a Batik factory and toured some gardens but you didn't mention that so I'm just wondering if you did something private and maybe they booked with the Ship?

Thanks, and keep up the great work...loving it!!

Cathy

I've been enjoying this review very much, especially the amazing photos and wonderful commentary! Thanking you for putting so much time into this, it really does get enjoyed by so many!

I have a question about the Sky Safari ziplining you did in St. Kitt's. We will be there in Feb/15 on Eclipse and I'm thinking this would be something different to do...we've never ziplined before but it looks like something I can cross off my bucket list. Did you book this tour privately with the company or was it a ship's tour? Someone on my roll call said they did this tour before and they also went to a Batik factory and toured some gardens but you didn't mention that so I'm just wondering if you did something private and maybe they booked with the Ship?

Cathy

We are going ziplining in st kitts next week and we are going thru the ship's tour. If I understand correctly one can only go zip lining with this company thru a ship tour only.....unless, of course, you aren't on a cruise.

Great job spotting those wonderful red and white flags Maritimer!!

Congratulations on a very well written 'trip report'. We are looking to do Equinox Feb. '15 and really appreciated the plethora of great pictures accompanied by the running commentary.

It looks like you all had a fabulous cruise Thank you for taking the time to report.

Okay! so I see "Bedford Basin" and there is only one Bedford I know of and that is the one with a Costco. Howdy! fellow Maritimer. It is surprising how many maritimers you meet on your cruise. I have an interesting story to tell coming up on my Barbados part of the PTR.

How could you not have a fabulous cruise abroad the "Beautiful Celebrity Equinox"? Thank you for your kind "maritimer" comments.

Question to you? How are you getting to Ft Lauderdale in Feb? It is just so expensive for us.

Cathy

As "Purplsmurf" had commented you book it thru the ship. I would suggest that you check to see if there are going to be any other ships in with you that day. If so I would book it pretty soon to ensure the time you wanted. We booked for 8:30 Am since we were only in St. Kitts until 3:00 PM that day. They must also offer nature walks because while Zipping we did notice people walking about in tour lead groups.

Thanks for "loving it" hearing those comments keeps my energy rev'd up. Are you ready for more?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Did you cruise to PEI or travel there on vacation?

Have I been to Cedar Point? Yes! we made many trips to Sandusky when we lived in Newmarket, Ontario. During 2002 we actually had Cedar Point season Passes. I moved back to PEI in 2007 and also the same year that Cedar Fairs (parent company of Cedar Point) bought all the Paramount parks including my Canada's Wonderland. If I still lived in Newmarket I would be purchasing Cedar Point Platinum Season Pass which includes admission to all parks including Canada's Wonderland, Cedar Point, Kings Island. I cruise now rather than ride roller coasters.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

We were on a road trip and spent 3 days on PEI at Shaw's Hotel on Brackley Beach (loved it) and then took the ferry to Nova Scotia. Traveled the whole island. My husband loves lighthouses and DD and I loved Anne of Green Gables.

We spent 25 summers at Marblelhead, Ohio and went to Cedar Point every year. Our daughter actually worked there for 3 years!

We went last summer and decided that the new rides are getting to be too much for us oldies (59/61) and it's time to "ride" the benches and people watch, while the young ones enjoy! :D

Edited by Coolcruise02

Cathy

Thanks again for all these great pics, Kevin. DH and I both are awful photographers. Do you have links to other threads/reviews you've done in the past? I'd love to see them.

Also, how does ziplining in St. Kitts compare to other locations in the Caribbean? We're trying to come up with an excursion in St. Kitts other than beaches since there are so many good beach ports on our early December excursion cruise.

Barbara & Tom

I'm also loving this review, so many thanks. The Equinox is one of the Celebrity ships we haven't been on yet, and this is one of the itineraries that we're considering for a 30th Anniversary cruise in 2015. We honeymooned in Barbados and have wanted to get back there. Your photos and commentary are lots of fun!

Hi Kevin,

Just wanted to tell you how much I look forward to reading your trip report every morning while I enjoy my coffee!

My husband and I are looking forward to our cruise on the Equinox in December. And it's the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Panama Canal this year!

We spent a week at a cottage in Bonshaw, PEI a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I would love to retire out there if it weren't for your winters! Although this past winter here in Toronto was no picnic either.

Karen

Why a big thank you going out to Alberta. So what of Alberta do you live in. We lived in Calgary from 1984-1996 and both of our son were born there.

Have a great time on your pre Christmas cruise aboard the beautiful Celebrity Equinox. Donna was looking at the early December cruise which is quite reasonable but, not in the budget. Would love to take our boys on a pre Christmas Cruise.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Oops...have to update my profile...we used to live in Red Deer for 19 yrs (1994-2013) originally from SK and have returned home due to work...this cruise is just for us...no kids

We were on a road trip and spent 3 days on PEI at Shaw's Hotel on Brackley Beach (loved it) and then took the ferry to Nova Scotia. Traveled the whole island. My husband loves lighthouses and DD and I loved Anne of Green Gables.

We spent 25 summers at Marblelhead, Ohio and went to Cedar Point every year. Our daughter actually worked there for 3 years!

We went last summer and decided that the new rides are getting to be too much for us oldies (59/61) and it's time to "ride" the benches and people watch, while the young ones enjoy! :D

We had our wedding reception at Shaw's Hotel and the road it is on runs parallel to our Winsloe Road you were minutes from me. :p

Yes! You actually have to get your body in roller coaster shape if you try to Marathon Coaster ride like we once did. The constant "G" forces get tuff on the old bones.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks again for all these great pics, Kevin. DH and I both are awful photographers. Do you have links to other threads/reviews you've done in the past? I'd love to see them.

Also, how does ziplining in St. Kitts compare to other locations in the Caribbean? We're trying to come up with an excursion in St. Kitts other than beaches since there are so many good beach ports on our early December excursion cruise.

Barbara & Tom

NO! This is my first attempt at a Picture Photo Trip Report. The trick is to take thousands of photo and you are bound to get a couple of good ones.

Being of the Irish skin thing beaches don't really appeal to me. Beside I live merely 10 minutes away from Brackley Beach which we do enjoy quite frequently during the Summer. A few posts up I posted a comparison of the other Zip lines along with a link to video. Check them out.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

I'm also loving this review, so many thanks. The Equinox is one of the Celebrity ships we haven't been on yet, and this is one of the itineraries that we're considering for a 30th Anniversary cruise in 2015. We honeymooned in Barbados and have wanted to get back there. Your photos and commentary are lots of fun!

Thanks for you comments. We really liked this itineraries and I guess the reason why we did it for our second time. Actually looking at doing it again next year.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hi Kevin,

Just wanted to tell you how much I look forward to reading your trip report every morning while I enjoy my coffee!

My husband and I are looking forward to our cruise on the Equinox in December. And it's the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Panama Canal this year!

We spent a week at a cottage in Bonshaw, PEI a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I would love to retire out there if it weren't for your winters! Although this past winter here in Toronto was no picnic either.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Don't forget I also lived in Newmarket, ON And I have had a taste of Ontario Winters. The difference between Ontario and PEI storms when a storm is coming here we listen to the warning prepare and stay home because you have no other choice. Please come back to PE we love seeing all those Ontario license plates.

You are going to love your cruise on Equinox.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Great review. Thank you for posting it. We are on Equinox for the first time in August. This is a great preview of the ship.

Ohiodoglover

You are Welcome! Love Ohio and their great Roller Coaster.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Barbados Sunrise

Well I am back after a busy spring weekend on PEI. But lets get back to Photo Trip Report. I remember back in 2010 during the Captain's intercom call just before we left St Kitts he told us that is was quite a long journey to Barbados and would have to push Equinox to almost her full speed to arrive on time. This cruise for some reason I missed most of the captains announcements. Don't get me wrong I would never ask for more PA's my one Carnival cruise was enough on the over done use of the PA system.

As per the Celebrity Today the Sunrise was to be at 6:03 AM. This was the earliest of all the sunrise and they would get later in the mornings as we turn back towards Fort Lauderdale after today. Boy! if you look at a map Barbados sure is far south and is the furtherest south that we have ever travelled.

The picture below shows that the sun has not quite cracked the horizon. Taken at my normal spot on Deck 15.

CE14HX_%25201067-XL.jpg

Here is the sun on the rise still stuck behind those clouds.

CE14HX_%25201073-XL.jpg

I always seem to also take this shot with the new sunrise on my back for a early morning picture of the Lawn Club.

CE14GW_%25200647-XL.jpg

We were getting into Barbados a little later than the other ports that we had arrived so this meant we had lots of time before Blu breakfast. Donna and I stopped by the Oceanview for some of these delicious chocolate danishes to enjoy on our balcony.

CE14GW_%25200658-XL.jpg

I had to go check the trip report o see if I hadn't already posted this pic. Donna is applying ice to her ankle/foot which was bothering her I think from our long walk on Fort Lauderdale beach.

The "old" Elite Breakfast was held in Tuscan each morning. I guess next cruise we can go there. DBJ!

CE14GW_%25200667%2520-%2520Version%25202-XL.jpg

On our way to Blu breakfast we would normally stop at Cafe al Bacio for a Hot Chocolate. Donna found this was only way she could drink the coffee in Blu was mix it with her Hot Chocolate. Ready for another Blu Breakfast.

CE14GW_%25200668-XL.jpg

Next up Agapey Chocolate and Monkeys.

Regards,

Kevin Reid