Bermuda beach warning

FIRELT5

How do you feel about the Elbow Beach area? We're considering a day pass to Coco Reef Resort, which I believe is closer to Grape Bay. Would this be too close to Grape Bay if there are problems? Does anyone know whether their beach would be tested since it is part of a private resort? Thanks. Carol

They state they test at Elbow Beach, Grape Bay, Warwick Long Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Hungary Bay, John Smith’s Bay, Clearwater Beach, Shelly Bay, Tobacco Bay, and Snorkel Park. They don't mention Coco Reef so I doubt it is tested by the government regularly. Coco Reef is between Elbow and Grape Bay.

FWIW, in all the sources I've checked, there have been no announcements by the Bermuda Government, since the discovery of grease balls Thursday night at Grape Bay, that the water is contaminated. Fridays may not be testing days :rolleyes:.

SBtS

I would not want to swim with or be on a beach with grease balls so to me that is contamination enough no matter the bacteria count.

When we hear about the grease balls they are at Grape Bay. Not the other beaches. Grape Bay seems to be the nexus. It's not a beach popular with cruise passengers, some have asked about it in the past because they want to try something different, but because there are closer beaches to the Dockyard, there was no reason for a cruise passenger to pick Grape Bay before, and I would avoid Grape Bay for sure now.

How do you feel about the Elbow Beach area? We're considering a day pass to Coco Reef Resort, which I believe is closer to Grape Bay. Would this be too close to Grape Bay if there are problems? Does anyone know whether their beach would be tested since it is part of a private resort? Thanks. Carol

We plan to go to Coco Reef while in Bermuda. There is a pool that over looks the ocean and beach, so great views and no need to go in the ocean. I am a melanoma survivor, so I will only go to beaches that have shade/umbrellas (and I go crazy with the sunscreen), and also want chairs and changing facilities. This seems to have the makings of a nice day, whether or not anyone chooses to swim in the ocean.

We have been to Bermuda many times, and have always gone to Horseshoe Bay, and have also visited the south shore beaches at Warwick Long Bay, Jobsen's Cove, and Elbow Beach in the past. We thought we might try Coco Reef this time.

Thank you all for the info. Good question, Carol.

Trying not to be bummed about these "greaseballs" that keep washing up.

Also think they should be daily tests of all the water, but I guess that is asking a lot.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Thanks for this info. Will hope that Celebrity will stay on top of this before May 4th or May 11th departures. Lots to do in Bermuda. . . Besides being on the south shore.

I think you would do better following this thread and links posted by njhorseman and sailbadthesinner from the Bermuda press and government than relying on Celebrity to keep on top of the issue. They keep up to date with Bermuda issues and post the latest to this board.

Just booked a celebrity cruise for june to Bermuda, our favorite island!

What the heck is going on with this raw sewage problem?

The south shore beaches are the most popular ones, and the north shore has grease balls. If you plan on swimming your advised to get a hepatitis a plus another vaccine.

Will monitor these boards closely now. Such a shame.

Just booked a celebrity cruise for june to Bermuda, our favorite island!

What the heck is going on with this raw sewage problem?

The south shore beaches are the most popular ones, and the north shore has grease balls. If you plan on swimming your advised to get a hepatitis a plus another vaccine.

Will monitor these boards closely now. Such a shame.

Where did you read the north shore has had greaseball? :confused: I've only read about the south shore this year so far.

It was somewhere either in this thread OR on the main pages under the celebrity board.

I read thru it all today as we just booked the Summit.

Been to Bermuda many times, this upset me.

Where did you read the north shore has had greaseball? :confused: I've only read about the south shore this year so far.

The most recent finding of grease balls was at Grape Bay, but no contamination of the waters of the South Shore beaches has been issued by the Bermuda government as of my posting. I don't believe that having grease balls on the beach and contaminated waters go hand and hand. Not pleasant and limited in scope to the beach where g/b appeared.

SBtS

From my experience working in waste water plants grease balls will float to the surface and be blowed by the wind " Like the Portuguese man of war does"and solids will sink and drift with currents .

So grease ball don't always mean bacteria contamination .

J.M.H.O.

Just because

We plan to go to Coco Reef while in Bermuda. There is a pool that over looks the ocean and beach, so great views and no need to go in the ocean. I am a melanoma survivor, so I will only go to beaches that have shade/umbrellas (and I go crazy with the sunscreen), and also want chairs and changing facilities. This seems to have the makings of a nice day, whether or not anyone chooses to swim in the ocean.

We have been to Bermuda many times, and have always gone to Horseshoe Bay, and have also visited the south shore beaches at Warwick Long Bay, Jobsen's Cove, and Elbow Beach in the past. We thought we might try Coco Reef this time.

My dh and I went to Coco Reef last year on a day pass..we're going again this year..there's lunch..beach with loungers..a beautiful pool..well worth the money..very welcoming too..have fun

We were just going to book (had a hold) for reservation - cancelled for august and going to Alaska now!! Have never switched a cruise like this - my poor husband woke to a note - don't book we are going to Alaska!! Booked flights and trip in two days and working on excursions now! Bermuda needs to clean up its act!! Gross!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi C Breeze - First, I am a Melanoma survivor as well :) Second, can you get day passes to Coco Reef?

Hi C Breeze - First, I am a Melanoma survivor as well :) Second, can you get day passes to Coco Reef?

Info I found on Coco Reef. You can email the address on the link and give them your name and number in party and they will email you back. I have not been there, but it sounds like a nice day.

http://www.cocoreefbermuda.com/index.php/component/k2/item/43-carousel-item-1

We have taken a lot of Canada/NE cruises, since I am a bit paranoid about spending time on beaches now, but as long as I can find shade and take other precautions, I am feeling a bit better about going south. ;) By the way Columbia Sportswear has great clothes for sun protection (Omni-Shade) and if you get on their email list you will get coupons for discounts. Also, there may be an outlet near where you live and the coupons are good at the outlets, as well as online.

Well, having just booked my first NCL trip, and my first to Bermuda, I'm not pleased to hear about the raw sewage in the water problem. However, doing a little bit of internet sleuthing today, I found the US EPA has beach advisory hyperlinks for all the states. Too bad most of the ones with beaches where you typically swim are EXTREMELY outdated or the links are broken.

Especially unimpressive is the state of California. For a state that likes government regulation SO much, it appears they do their monitoring county by county. Worse still, I found several instances of "if you want to know the current quality, call us" as opposed to making the information available online.

That said, here's a little sample of what I did find:

I live in GA and Tybee, St Simon and Jekyll have all had advisories each year for the last several.

http://www.coastalgadnr.org/nn/past.beach.advisories

I'm from TX so I looked that one up. Several areas around Corpus Christi, which is N. Padre Island, have a yellow flag.

http://texasbeachwatch.com/

There appear to be permanent advisories along parts of Myrtle Beach in SC.

http://gisweb01.dhec.sc.gov/wsBeachAdvisory/Index.html

This one is kind of hard to navigate but there are some issues in FL:

http://www.floridahealth.gov/healthy-environments/beach-water-quality/index.html?appSession=569310075592861&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=&cpipage=1&CPISortType=&CPIorderBy=

These are some fairly well known beaches in the US. I guess my point is this...how much do we know about the water quality where we're all comfortable swimming? I'll have to give this some serious thought because I'm not really into beaches but I do love to snorkel.

which vaccinations are being recommended?????

Coming in contact with affected water could cause Hep A and Typhoid. My husband did the Typhoid shot which lasts for 3 years. I did the Typhoid pills which last for 5 years. We needed them for Brazil 2 years ago so we are still covered. We won't be getting in the water in Bermuda in 2 weeks.

Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Bermuda in May, I totally forgot about this while I was there, we jet skiing, swam at Tobacco Bay and tried to swim at the Elbow Bay, but the waves were to strong. So far none of our group of nine has had any problems.