Bermuda beach warning

FIRELT5

I live on the shores of Lake Erie, our water samples that are taken today and if there is a problem it is posted three days later, which makes no sense. The problem could resolve itself by then and you have people swimming in that water for three days. I have seen beautiful crystal clear water and the beaches be closed down . So crystal clear water does not tell you a thing if is dangerous or not . It all depends on water current and wind. We can have one beach posted but yet the next beach 1/2 mile away is open.

There are cities all along the Canadian and American shore lines that dump into the oceans on both coast. You have sewage plants that overflow into the great lakes and rivers when it rains. You have farms close to shores and the animal feces goes into the water table. If anyone that lives near the ocean, lake or river ask you government for the overflow reports in the USA or Canada. You will be amazed how many times raw sewage is dumped. A simple sewage plant is not all the answer.

Remember you grandparents outhouses , where do you think that waste went, once the hole was filled and they moved it to another location.

In todays new's 500,000 folk in Toledo Ohio can't use the lake water for anything ! :eek:

Ahoy, Allentown!

I hope you have been enjoying Musikfest and the Awkscht fescht this weekend!

Unfortunately, I cannot locate the map I found from a research study (about 6 years or so ago) regarding the impact of the raw sewage on biohazards to the residents and visitors of Bermuda.

However, I recall the following (with a level of accuracy for which I am comfortable in stating here).

(1) The bulk of the sewage pipes are near the Royal Naval Dockyard. I recall 4 on the North side and 4 on the South Side of the peninsula.

My family's conclusion: We do not go to Snorkel Park.

(2) There was a private pipe from a hotel that is no longer in existence that deposited raw sewage off of Horseshoe Bay. There is nothing in that place, so I have no reason to believe the pipe is in use.

(3) There are two pipes up by Tobacco Bay, and in fact, it is my understanding that they were the first beach to report problems, more than 10 years ago, which was the first time my family went to Bermuda. One of those pipes dumps a huge amount of sewage into the ocean. And even though we were docked in St. George, and Tobacco Bay was the easiest beach to get to (and my children were really young at this point), we have not nor will we be swimming at that Beach.

(4) There are another 4 pipes near St. George (on the South East of St. George/St. John) thus having us avoid those beaches.

(5) Finally, there are two pipes, one very major, off of the coast of Elbow Beach which has attracted the attention that has generated these concerns.

Now this next part, is just my interpretation of the situation and where I go with my family.

Church Bay is our favorite, and it is very far from any pipes.

We have gone to Jobson's Cove and another beach near it (on the western side of Warwick Beach), for swimming and snorkeling. We walk on Horseshoe and Warwick, though we have never seen "tar balls."

This year, we are also going to West Whale Bay and St. John Smith Bay, as my children are interested in going to "new beaches" and these are the ones I have determined should be far enough away from the sewage pipes.

If I find the map of the pipes, I will post it so people can see it for themselves.

Do you know if there are any pipes near Daniels Head Beach? I was hoping to go their in October.

Ahoy, Allentown!

Unfortunately, I cannot locate the map I found from a research study (about 6 years or so ago) regarding the impact of the raw sewage on biohazards to the residents and visitors of Bermuda.

However, I recall the following (with a level of accuracy for which I am comfortable in stating here).

(1) The bulk of the sewage pipes are near the Royal Naval Dockyard. I recall 4 on the North side and 4 on the South Side of the peninsula.

(2) There was a private pipe from a hotel that is no longer in existence that deposited raw sewage off of Horseshoe Bay. There is nothing in that place, so I have no reason to believe the pipe is in use.

(3) There are two pipes up by Tobacco Bay, and in fact, it is my understanding that they were the first beach to report problems, more than 10 years ago, which was the first time my family went to Bermuda. One of those pipes dumps a huge amount of sewage into the ocean. And even though we were docked in St. George, and Tobacco Bay was the easiest beach to get to (and my children were really young at this point), we have not nor will we be swimming at that Beach.

(4) There are another 4 pipes near St. George (on the South East of St. George/St. John) thus having us avoid those beaches.

(5) Finally, there are two pipes, one very major, off of the coast of Elbow Beach which has attracted the attention that has generated these concerns.

Now this next part, is just my interpretation of the situation and where I go with my family.

We have gone to Jobson's Cove and another beach near it (on the western side of Warwick Beach), for swimming and snorkeling. We walk on Horseshoe and Warwick, though we have never seen "tar balls."

This year, we are also going to West Whale Bay and St. John Smith Bay, as my children are interested in going to "new beaches" and these are the ones I have determined should be far enough away from the sewage pipes.

If I find the map of the pipes, I will post it so people can see it for themselves.

Thanks for all your info.

Well, as much as I love swimming on a beautiful beach, all of this has given me some cause for concern. That's why we decided to book Coco Reef resort for our "beach day" on Bermuda. If we have the bad luck to encounter the pollution weather conditions, we can just swim in their pool -- and, the day won't be a total bust. :cool:

This is the map you are referring to? From http://www.coexploration.org/bbsr/coral/html/body_monitoring_waste.html sewage_sites.jpg

Ahoy, Allentown!