Bermuda beach warning

FIRELT5

Any pool water would be tested to make sure it meets public health standards. Also they keep logs that are inspected by the CDC. CDC cruise ship poolstandards linked below.

Hot tubs I think are possibly the most unsafe.

http://www.nspf.org/Files/cdccruiseshipregs.pdf

The CDC standards for beaches are not new. What is new is a recent study of Bermuda beaches done in 2013 recently released that has brought public attention to Bermudas lack of water treatment. Nothing has changed from our past visits. Just many passengers were not aware of the lack of water treatment by Bermuda even though this recent study is not the first time the issue has come up.

I don't know why you would avoid eating or drinking ashore. I can see avoiding going in the ocean but I don't see any issue with eating or drinking.

Thanks for the info on the pools.

As far as eating/drinking in Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean, these are just the CDC recommendations. Of course many people live and travel to these areas and never have any problems:

Hepatitis A

CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Bermuda, regardless of where you are eating or staying.

Typhoid

You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Bermuda. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

Unclean food and water can cause travelers' diarrhea and other diseases. Reduce your risk by sticking to safe food and water habits.

Eat

•Food that is cooked and served hot

•Hard-cooked eggs

•Fruits and vegetables you have washed in clean water or peeled yourself

•Pasteurized dairy products

Don't Eat

•Food served at room temperature

•Food from street vendors

•Raw or soft-cooked (runny) eggs

•Raw or undercooked (rare) meat or fish

•Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables

•Unpasteurized dairy products

•”Bushmeat” (monkeys, bats, or other wild game)

Drink

•Bottled water that is sealed

•Water that has been disinfected

•Ice made with bottled or disinfected water

•Carbonated drinks

•Hot coffee or tea

•Pasteurized milk

Don’t Drink

•Tap or well water

•Ice made with tap or well water

•Drinks made with tap or well water (such as reconstituted juice)

•Unpasteurized milk

Take Medicine

Talk with your doctor about taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs with you on your trip in case you get sick.

Information for travelers on cruise ships:

Food and drinks served on board cruise ships are generally safe. However, be careful about what you eat and drink at ports of call.

Thanks for the info on the pools.

As far as eating/drinking in Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean, these are just the CDC recommendations. Of course many people live and travel to these areas and never have any problems:

Hepatitis A

CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Bermuda, regardless of where you are eating or staying.

Typhoid

You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in Bermuda. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

Unclean food and water can cause travelers' diarrhea and other diseases. Reduce your risk by sticking to safe food and water habits.

Eat

•Food that is cooked and served hot

•Hard-cooked eggs

•Fruits and vegetables you have washed in clean water or peeled yourself

•Pasteurized dairy products

Don't Eat

•Food served at room temperature

•Food from street vendors

•Raw or soft-cooked (runny) eggs

•Raw or undercooked (rare) meat or fish

•Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables

•Unpasteurized dairy products

•”Bushmeat” (monkeys, bats, or other wild game)

Drink

•Bottled water that is sealed

•Water that has been disinfected

•Ice made with bottled or disinfected water

•Carbonated drinks

•Hot coffee or tea

•Pasteurized milk

Don’t Drink

•Tap or well water

•Ice made with tap or well water

•Drinks made with tap or well water (such as reconstituted juice)

•Unpasteurized milk

Take Medicine

Talk with your doctor about taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs with you on your trip in case you get sick.

Information for travelers on cruise ships:

Food and drinks served on board cruise ships are generally safe. However, be careful about what you eat and drink at ports of call.

This is just generalized tripe that could be written about many...maybe most countries. They're lumping Bermuda into the Third World...it isn't. In most respects Bermuda is (not surprisingly) more like the US, UK or Canada than it is like island nations in the Caribbean.

Heck, the advice about food from street vendors, raw or undercooked meats and unpasteurized dairy products applies to the US just as much as it does to anywhere else.

I think some of it was written in the 19th century...and at least by someone who's never been to Bermuda and doesn't have the slightest clue about the country.

Next time I'm in Bermuda I'll remember to stay away from the restaurant that was serving monkey and bat meat. Too bad...it was delicious .

Edited by njhorseman

This is just generalized tripe that could be written about many...maybe most countries. They're lumping Bermuda into the Third World...it isn't. In most respects Bermuda is (not surprisingly) more like the US, UK or Canada than it is like island nations in the Caribbean.

Heck, the advice about food from street vendors, raw or undercooked meats and unpasteurized dairy products applies to the US just as much as it does to anywhere else.

I think some of it was written in the 19th century...and at least by someone who's never been to Bermuda and doesn't have the slightest clue about the country.

Next time I'm in Bermuda I'll remember to stay away from the restaurant that was serving monkey and bat meat. Too bad...it was delicious .

Yeah, I love the part about the monkey meat and bat meat! :D

I do realize that these recommendations are for any country that they also advise vaccines for Typhoid and Hep A. Still, if they feel there is a potential problem with the ocean water, it stands to reason that precautions should be taken with food and drinks.

Hepatitis A

Typhoid

There has not been a case of Typhoid in Bermuda in twenty years. I could not find any info on cases of Hepatitis A. I think any traveler should get a Hepatitis A shot. I think a Typhoid shot only if traveling to countries with reported cases.

I really don't think there is anything to be concerned about eating and drinking in Bermuda. The island has a high standard of living. The restaurants I have been at looked to me to be at North American standards. Swimming I am concerned about because of the raw sewage.

Yeah, I love the part about the monkey meat and bat meat! :D

I do realize that these recommendations are for any country that they also advise vaccines for Typhoid and Hep A. Still, if they feel there is a potential problem with the ocean water, it stands to reason that precautions should be taken with food and drinks.

What does occasional ocean water pollution by sewage have to do with food and drinks? Bermuda's water supply comes largely from rain water, relatively little from the ocean...and the supplemental supply is treated, bottled and filtered.

Here's a 2010 study of Bermuda's water supply...a bit long...about 35 pages:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/erver.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18339_922_232665_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_environment/environmental_protection_new/environmental_engineering/reports/water_supply_report1.pdf

Edited by njhorseman

What does occasional ocean water pollution by sewage have to do with food and drinks? Bermuda's water supply comes largely from rain water, relatively little from the ocean...and the supplemental supply is treated, bottled and filtered.

http://www.gov.bm/portal/erver.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18339_922_232665_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_environment/environmental_protection_new/environmental_engineering/reports/water_supply_report1.pdf

You took the words right out of my mouth about the rain water. :)

I have been to Bermuda many times, and feel that it is safer, in many ways including health issues, than the Bahamas or the Caribbean. I am also aware of the catchment for rain water there.

It just seems that if those who live there and work in restaurants handling food, may have been in waters that have the potential for these diseases. Of course it is unlikely that this would be a problem. I just always like to error on the side of caution.

This is a great question! I had assumed that there was some treatment of the ocean water that is used in the ship's pools (my kids swam in them many times without giving it much thought), however if the water is treated at all, I am not sure how long it would take before it would be effective.

If you have traveled/cruised to Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean before, then I don't know that this is much different than those trips. I was not aware of all of this in the past, and I believe these CDC recommendations for Bermuda may be new than those of the other places mentioned. We generally try to eat on the ship and not in port anyway, but have always gone to the beaches. I was kind of freaked out about all of this when I first read it, but we will not go in the water (I did want to use the hot tubs on the ship) and will avoid eating/drinking on shore. I guess if I was traveling with kids, I would be a bit more concerned, but I don't think it would prevent me from traveling.

I just want thank you all again for engaging in these conversations..... I've been given a lot of info that I need to process.... I am traveling with children. We did get our flu, hep A, and typhoid shots last week...I'm so glad that I saw these posts and was able to prepare ourselves before our trip! I hope you all have wonderful trips, I pray that none of you or yours get sick!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just want thank you all again for engaging in these conversations..... I've been given a lot of info that I need to process.... I am traveling with children. We did get our flu, hep A, and typhoid shots last week...I'm so glad that I saw these posts and was able to prepare ourselves before our trip! I hope you all have wonderful trips, I pray that none of you or yours get sick!

Enjoy your trip! I see that you are traveling on the Breakaway the week before we are. I hope your family has a wonderful time on the ship and on shore.

Enjoy your cruise julzluv! Bermuda is a wonderful place :)

Everyone, I have a question and a picture to share. When the Breakaway is docked in Bermuda, what is her water supply? I found a picture while researching, but can't come to a conclusion. Maybe NJhorseman or SBtS can help.

ImageUploadedByForums1398600205.510005.jpg.4d3a5a7d6052e9dd5d7f667a0a0da19d.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Everyone, I have a question and a picture to share. When the Breakaway is docked in Bermuda, what is her water supply? I found a picture while researching, but can't come to a conclusion. Maybe NJhorseman or SBtS can help.

[ATTACH]310792[/ATTACH]

Thank you in advance.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

That is a picture of a water line. That is what a blue hose means. They are taking on fresh water. Modern cruise ships desalinate sea water. That takes a lot of energy though so they will add fresh water at some ports. Likely they won't or even can't run the desalinization plant when docked. They will take on water from Bermuda while docked for three days.

[ATTACH]310792[/ATTACH]

Thank you in advance.

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Thanks meatball!!

Are all of the beaches affected? Are their any on the north side that are better and no sewage problems?

Will be our first time in bermuda and wanted to at least hit a beach and possibly the water. But not if there is a chance of sewage on/in it

Are all of the beaches affected? Are their any on the north side that are better and no sewage problems?

Will be our first time in bermuda and wanted to at least hit a beach and possibly the water. But not if there is a chance of sewage on/in it

The most recent finding of grease balls was at Grape Bay, but no contamination of the waters of the South Shore beaches has been issued by the Bermuda government as of my posting. I don't believe that having grease balls on the beach and contaminated waters go hand and hand. Not pleasant and limited in scope to the beach where g/b appeared.

SBtS

The most recent finding of grease balls was at Grape Bay, but no contamination of the waters of the South Shore beaches has been issued by the Bermuda government as of my posting. I don't believe that having grease balls on the beach and contaminated waters go hand and hand. Not pleasant and limited in scope to the beach where g/b appeared.

SBtS

Grape Bay is some distance from the South Shore beaches I would go to. I have been to Bermuda a bunch of times and never been to Grape Bay. I don't think cruise passengers usually go there. However I disagree with you. Since the grease balls come from the same outflow pipe that dumps raw sewage into the ocean I would say grease balls and contaminated waters do go hand and hand. The grease balls are like the canary in the coal mine.

Beaches are only affected under certain conditions. There is an outflow on the north side too. So under certain conditions there could be issues on the north too. Since the grease balls are at one beach, Grape Bay, which by the way is not a beach that cruise passengers usually go to, the attention has focused there. I actually will feel safer at Horseshoe because it is some distance from Grape Bay, has lifeguards, is most popular, has facilities, so likely is most monitored.

The only real solution is for Bermuda to treat its sewage. Really it's caveat emptor as far as using any Bermuda beach. I will go to Horseshoe in June. I may not go for a swim. I will decide when I am there. The south shore beaches are beautiful and can be enjoyed without going in the water.

Beaches are only affected under certain conditions. There is an outflow on the north side too. So under certain conditions there could be issues on the north too. Since the grease balls are at one beach, Grape Bay, which by the way is not a beach that cruise passengers usually go to, the attention has focused there. I actually will feel safer at Horseshoe because it is some distance from Grape Bay, has lifeguards, is most popular, has facilities, so likely is most monitored.

The only real solution is for Bermuda to treat its sewage. Really it's caveat emptor as far as using any Bermuda beach. I will go to Horseshoe in June. I may not go for a swim. I will decide when I am there. The south shore beaches are beautiful and can be enjoyed without going in the water.

How do you feel about the Elbow Beach area? We're considering a day pass to Coco Reef Resort, which I believe is closer to Grape Bay. Would this be too close to Grape Bay if there are problems? Does anyone know whether their beach would be tested since it is part of a private resort? Thanks. Carol

How do you feel about the Elbow Beach area? We're considering a day pass to Coco Reef Resort, which I believe is closer to Grape Bay. Would this be too close to Grape Bay if there are problems? Does anyone know whether their beach would be tested since it is part of a private resort? Thanks. Carol

FWIW, in all the sources I've checked, there have been no announcements by the Bermuda Government, since the discovery of grease balls Thursday night at Grape Bay, that the water is contaminated. Fridays may not be testing days :rolleyes:.

SBtS