Can I take trail mix across the border?

MollyFlyer

I'm in Canada, and in anticipation of a long plane trip on the way to the ship (and not knowing what, if anything, they'll give us on the plane) I did up a baggie of homemade trail mix. But then I remembered that there tend to be restrictions on what you can take across the border in terms of food -- would roasted nuts and dried berries cause any problems?

One website I checked said blueberries were fine, but there's always the risk they haven't seen the site . . .

If it wasn't an official CBP/USDA web site, it doesn't matter what it says.

I often buy individual, single-serve trail mix at Aldi's for my kids' lunches. I personally like the type with cranberries, but they prefer the type with M&M style candies. I've also seen individual bags at Target.

Anyway, the point: 100% sure, you won't have any problem with a shelf-stable, factory-sealed snack.

I often buy individual, single-serve trail mix at Aldi's for my kids' lunches. I personally like the type with cranberries, but they prefer the type with M&M style candies. I've also seen individual bags at Target.

Anyway, the point: 100% sure, you won't have any problem with a shelf-stable, factory-sealed snack.

Ah, but the OP said the trail mix is homemade, and in a baggie. Not factory sealed.

To the OP, I'd say go ahead and take it. What's the worst that could happen? That some Federal official would treat you like you're smuggling illegal drugs into the country, take you into a small room, do a strip search, deny your entry into the U.S., then throw you in prison?:eek: Nah. You'll be okay.:D

But make sure you declare that you have food. We had a terribly officious and rude US Agent at YVR a couple of years back (he'd yell to the next in line to 'hurry up and get over here ' when he was ready for his next interview.)

I asked about declaring candy - is it food? He replied that when in doubt the answer is always 'yes'. Actually is good advice. Declare and let them decide.

You can always toss it but if you do not declare and he were to have found out, well I can only imagine the lecture. We saw him send 2 of 5 off for further questioning when none of the other agents had any. Perhaps just his luck.

I've never had a problem with "gorp" going from Canada into the US. Having said that, I agree with some other comments - it depends on the border agent. My friend, waiting in line at the Ottawa airport realized she had an apple, so she ate it in line, while waiting for clearance through US Customs. But she couldn't find a garbage can to dispose of the core.

When she got to the US border agent, he went ballistic about the apple core (which she just wanted to put into a garbage can). All of this took place in Canada on Canadian soil, where she had purchased the apple. He let her put the apple core into a garbage can and then hauled her off to a room for a screening grilling.

If this is Tuesday, they may be targeting raisins. That's all I can say.

As was mentioned by others, it depends on the agent. Some might let you stroll on through with your homemade trail mix. Some will toss your tasty snack into the garbage without so much as a "by your leave".

You have a better chance of getting a pre-wrapped, factory sealed snack through (just my opinion).

But make sure you declare that you have food. We had a terribly officious and rude US Agent at YVR a couple of years back (he'd yell to the next in line to 'hurry up and get over here ' when he was ready for his next interview.)

I asked about declaring candy - is it food? He replied that when in doubt the answer is always 'yes'. Actually is good advice. Declare and let them decide.

You can always toss it but if you do not declare and he were to have found out, well I can only imagine the lecture. We saw him send 2 of 5 off for further questioning when none of the other agents had any. Perhaps just his luck.

Agree, if it is declared, the worst thing that will happen is that they will take it and send you on your way.

I also agree with the PP that if it is factory sealed it won't be a problem. The Baggie if homemade trail mix is where it might be.

Molly, thank you for providing that informative link. It made good reading. Like you said, looks like your items are fine but as others have said, you just never know what is going to "spark" an agent into further investigation.

Yeah -- on reflection, it's all completely legal and above board . . . but customs tends to be run by people who have no idea what's legal and what's not. I remember one agent who searched my checked bag and then made me stand there with my underwear tossed around while he called the cops because he was convinced my pocket knife was illegal (it wasn't).

Ah, but the OP said the trail mix is homemade, and in a baggie. Not factory sealed.

To the OP, I'd say go ahead and take it. What's the worst that could happen? That some Federal official would treat you like you're smuggling illegal drugs into the country, take you into a small room, do a strip search, deny your entry into the U.S., then throw you in prison?:eek: Nah. You'll be okay.:D

Yes, but I was making a suggestion about how to sub in a similar item that would carry no potential problem.

They could potentially do worse than taking away the food: they can fine you, though I really don't think they would over something that's questionable like this.