Appropriate clothing for Istanbul in July - women

Hi! We'll be visiting Istanbul in July (during Ramadan) and will want to visit Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque as well as the Grand Bazaar and the palace.

I'm conscious of both it being quite hot AND needing to be culturally sensitive when visiting active mosques and religious sites. I have a pair of lightweight pants that are full length but can roll up to become capris. Will that be suitable or am I better wearing a skirt? Can I get away with wearing a pair of longer style shorts or a skirt that covers my knees? What about top? Obviously not something that has half my chest hanging out - is short sleeved okay or should I take along a long sleeved top to put on in the temples?

Sorry to be angsting about this! I just don't want to cause us to be unable to enter any of our desired sights, nor to attract unwelcome attention or criticism. I also don't want to overdress and swelter all day!

Kat

No skirt or long-sleeved shirt required. Just be certain that you wear something that covers your shoulders and knees (and a scarf for head, although not enforced at Blue Mosque). So capris and short-sleeved shirts OK.

Enjoy this very special city. (We are returning in late May.)

Note that men in Istanbul (and other major European cities) wear long pants, even in the hottest weather.

Edited by CintiPam

Yes just cover knees and shoulders. I just try to not wear shorts any where in Europe because they don't unless they are at the beach. They will give you a head covering at some of the sites but bringing a scarf is a good idea because you might not want to wear one that some one else has had on their head before you!

Love Istanbul! Have a great visit!

Awesome help! Thank you very much! I will make sure I buy and pack a head scarf. It's the end of summer here so I am taking advantage of the end of season sales to stock up on clothes for my holiday. I can't wait to see Istanbul. We chose this itinerary because of this stop.

I just try to not wear shorts any where in Europe because they don't unless they are at the beach.

I wish every holidaymaker thought like this (am afraid that the Brits are some of the worst offenders)! Shorts are very rarely worn by locals in Mediterranean countries; not only are they frowned on in Churches, restaurants etc. they are very uncomfortable in hot weather when loose fitting clothing is much more appropriate.

Edited by campolady

I had short sleeves on when I visited the Blue Mosque our first trip…. actually they were almost to my elbows……before I was allowed to enter I was given a big blue napkin to cover my ARMS ….. SO NOT JUST THE SHOULDERS.

I would take a silky pareo/scarf that folds up real small in your bag and pull that out and you can use it to cover your head and arms. That is what I did our second trip there…… just sort of wrapped it around me and since it was very lightweight it wasnt hot. It can also double to keep the sun off of you when needed.

Like many places it depends on who is working the door ;) When I was given the big blue napkin I started to cover my head and she indicated it was for my arms…… much to my surprise. I had dressed very modestly in slacks and blouse with longer short sleeves……having been to mosques in Egypt and Turkey…….

I have seen some enter St. Peters in shorts and others turned away….. depends on who is working the door.

I prefer to be sure and go prepared….. hence the pareo/scarf. I much prefer to use something that is mine instead of a big blue napkin that I don't know who used it last or if it was washed etc……

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that everyone has to remove their shoes when visiting any mosque. At some mosques they hold them for you in shoe cubbies, but if I recall correctly, at the Blue Mosque you can take them off and carry them with you.

I always bring an extra pair of socks when visiting a mosque. I put them on when I take off my shoes and remove them at the end.

For the record, I've been to the Blue Mosque twice and neither time had to cover my hair, although reports from the last year forward suggest they are more consistently requesting it now. I generally wear 3/4 sleeve t-shirts and pants or long capris (to mid-calf), so modesty wasn't any problem there or at any other mosque.

In many Mediterranean countries, at least in Spain, wearing short pants is the norm in summer for men, unless you are working of course. Men do wear short pants or "bermudas" everywhere, even in churches. In your free time you should only wear long pants if you go to a very up-scale restaurant or some place like that. Anywhere else, you'll be fine.

If you see men wearing long pants it's most likely that they are either working, or on the way or back from work.

In Spain, shorter pants for men are nice quality bermudas up to or over the knee combined with shoes, not short sports shorts with trainers. In Turkey, men generally only wear long trousers.

For women, short skirts or shorts are unacceptable in Turkish cities (but ok in resorts like Kusadasi or Alanya). Capris are fine. Another option is a very flowy long wide skirt ("gypsy style") of a lightweight material. So nice and cool in summer, better than sweaty warm pants. I have a multi-coloured one, which I can combine with many tops, the best item I packed last time we were in Turkey (we travel to Turkey a lot).

I remember at a few mosques in Turkey that they give you a plastic see-through carrier bag to carry your shoes in. No idea if this was at the Blue Mosque as well. It was a good idea, and easy to take a bag yourself. A guide in Cairo gave us a good tip: If you have your shoes in your hand and you want to put your shoes down in the mosque (for example to take a picture), do not place them on the floor with the soles facing down, that defeats the purpose of taking them off. Put the soles together and place them together on their sides, that does not cause offense.

I always have a scarf in my bag in mediterrean countries. So handy for churches and mosques, to cover shoulders, wrap around knees, cover hair. I was wearing a jacket with a hoodie in Istanbul, so I just used that to cover my hair. The ladies handing out scarves at the entrance of the Blue Mosque thought that was a great idea!

Edited by UKBayern

On my trip to Egypt we visited a mosque on the same day we went touring outside in the heat ….. so dressing that morning was a challenge. I wore a long blousy white shirt over a tank top with longer capris….. but I tied the shirt at the waist with a long scarf……then took it off and covered my head with it before entering the mosque. Everyone thought that was a great idea….. and it was nice to be able to pull off the shirt when it got REALLY hot.

A guide in Cairo gave us a good tip: If you have your shoes in your hand and you want to put your shoes down in the mosque (for example to take a picture), do not place them on the floor with the soles facing down, that defeats the purpose of taking them off. Put the soles together and place them together on their sides, that does not cause offense.

Great tip, I hadn't thought of that!

I personally find loose skirts cooler when it is hot, rather than any type of trouser. I would wear a loose skirt and a top with sleeves to the elbow. I would also carry a stole type scarf. I have a cotton crinkle type, so easy to screw up and put in your bag.

Yes just cover knees and shoulders. I just try to not wear shorts any where in Europe because they don't unless they are at the beach. They will give you a head covering at some of the sites but bringing a scarf is a good idea because you might not want to wear one that some one else has had on their head before you!

Love Istanbul! Have a great visit!

Perhaps not shorts in Istanbul, but in Europe, geeze. A lot of Europeans wear shorts in the summer, usually young people.

If it is 98 degress F and you are in Europe, wear all the shorts you want. One footnote, just don't go into a church.

In many Mediterranean countries, at least in Spain, wearing short pants is the norm in summer for men, unless you are working of course. Men do wear short pants or "bermudas" everywhere, even in churches. In your free time you should only wear long pants if you go to a very up-scale restaurant or some place like that. Anywhere else, you'll be fine.

If you see men wearing long pants it's most likely that they are either working, or on the way or back from work.

Thank you Elma for clarifying as I was starting to panic. In listening to the description of the clothing, it sounds the same as it is when visiting any of Latin America's big cities and I don't mean beach cities. Thanks again.

Our guide told us the dress code is all about respect. In Istanbul I wore a short sleeved t-shirt and long shorts covering my knees and that was fine, plenty of guys did the same. In the Blue mosque we were given bags to carry your shoes as you don't leave by the same door. Some ladies & gents were given a big blue napkin to cover up but most were fine. Even then they are very welcoming of tourists and make sure you can cover up enough to enter. The Hagia Sophia & palace had no issues, but I guess if you've dressed ok for the mosque everything else is fine. To be honest I always dress in a similar way on shore in Europe. Beach resorts and even cities have few dress code rules. Churches and restaurants, like mosques, like you to be modestly dressed, so not looking like you've just walked off the beach, but those rules equally apply in the ship's dining room, so if you managed to have breakfast on the ship you'll be fine. Enjoy Istanbul, it is wonderful!

Churches and restaurants, like mosques, like you to be modestly dressed, so not looking like you've just walked off the beach, but those rules equally apply in the ship's dining room, so if you managed to have breakfast on the ship you'll be fine. Enjoy Istanbul, it is wonderful!

Not quite true. I've seen women eating breakfast in the dining room with spaghetti-strap camisoles and shorts at mid-thigh -- either one of which would stop you from being admitted to all mosques and quite a few churches in Italy (incuding St. Peters in Rome and St. Marks in Venice) and in Greece. Men also are often wearing shorts well above the knee.

Also, not all places will provide you with a cover. They do a brisk business in selling cheap shawls near St. Peters for a reason....;)

For most any religious place, if your shoulders, midriff, and knees are FULLY covered and your neckline isn't plunging, you will be fine. For the more conservative mosques, upper arms and head also should be covered.

• 3 weeks later...
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that everyone has to remove their shoes when visiting any mosque. At some mosques they hold them for you in shoe cubbies, but if I recall correctly, at the Blue Mosque you can take them off and carry them with you.

I always bring an extra pair of socks when visiting a mosque. I put them on when I take off my shoes and remove them at the end.

For the record, I've been to the Blue Mosque twice and neither time had to cover my hair, although reports from the last year forward suggest they are more consistently requesting it now. I generally wear 3/4 sleeve t-shirts and pants or long capris (to mid-calf), so modesty wasn't any problem there or at any other mosque.

Correct about the shoes. At a small mosque you enter and exit the same way and you leave the shoe in a cubbie. Some small mosques may have separate entrances for men and women. A the Blue Mosque you enter at one door and leave by another so you have to take your shoes with you. They give a bag you can use to carry your shoes in if you need it. They also provide the warp, which is for men and women. I saw quite a few men who were wearing shorts who needed to use it like a kilt. They get thousands of people of all sorts going through every hour so there will be no problem. They are used to it and very welcoming. At the Blue Mosque the visitors are in area separated from the worshipers so you need not be concerned about disturbing people. However they do close to visitors several times throughout the day during prayer times, so you might have to adjust your plans accordingly.