Silhouette vs. Reflection

stickey_mouse

Has anybody cruised on both ships? :confused:

Yes- twice on the Silhouette and once on the Reflection. I think we prefer the Silhouette:

The Silhouette has less passengers and a larger sky lounge. On the reflection, the sky lounge was cut in half as Celebrity added some new category of Suites on that level.

We also prefer leaving from Ft. Lauderdale as the airport and cruise port are easier to access. We fly in the night before and found that the hotels in Ft. Lauderdale to be cheaper then Miami.

The Silhouette also has one more Alcove on the lawn but that doesn't really matter to most people.

I have noticed that the Reflection is sometimes cheaper then the Silhouette for the same accomodations- not sure why.

You cannot go wrong with either ship as they are identical with the exception of the Sky lounge.

Having said all of the above, next January we will be sailing out of Miami on the Eclipse as the itinerary is two weeks and great! We will have to deal with Miami.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Funny you should ask, as I'm currently onboard Silhouette at the moment. Everything's going great, weather, etc., even got into San Juan half hour early because of smooth seas. Got the Ultimate dining package yeah! and so far have dined in Bistro, Porch twice, Qsine, Lawn Club for dinner and lunch today. There's to also be upcoming champagne tea in Murano and another lunch in either Murano or Tuscan I've been told. The Persian Gardens on Reflection is hands down larger and with more beds and cold room. It smells in both their sauna areas on this ship. The martini bartenders are really boring, no smiles nor whistle blowing going on there, totally unlike Hector and crew on Reflection. Some restaurant staff we've talked to have been on both ships and asked them which ship they preferred and they said hands down the Reflection, me too. The staff here just don't seem as happy to me, nowhere near as cheerful so far. This morning we went to Tuscan for Elite coffee and left after ten minutes because of no service from the staff who just stood around talking to other more important guests, I suppose. Not a biggie as we have drink pkg so just left and went elsewhere, but still found it a tad annoying. Girls at the Mollie bar are great. We also prefer the newer Sunset bar design on the Reflection. Never had an issue with the lack of space in the Sky bar nor felt the additional pax load really to be of any big deal on the 2 week sailing we did this past Dec on the Reflection. Going out of Ft Lauderdale is also my preference but Miami is not that much of a difference to me. Also sailing Eclipse 14nt next year as well as our old fav the Equinox it's all good to me. Officers are great on both ships too. Some poor lady fell at sail away up in Lawn area so be real careful up there also the grass is very sad looking

Talked to spa girl who is being transferred to Allure of Seas and she said to expect $300 massage treatment and that Canyon Ranch employees are ones who have been fired by Steiner. Also that P and O ships are going back to Steiner from Canyon because of lack of people willing to pay those prices, just what we were told, not sure how accurate that info is

Funny you should ask, as I'm currently onboard Silhouette at the moment. Everything's going great, weather, etc., even got into San Juan half hour early because of smooth seas. Got the Ultimate dining package yeah! and so far have dined in Bistro, Porch twice, Qsine, Lawn Club for dinner and lunch today. There's to also be upcoming champagne tea in Murano and another lunch in either Murano or Tuscan I've been told. The Persian Gardens on Reflection is hands down larger and with more beds and cold room. It smells in both their sauna areas on this ship. The martini bartenders are really boring, no smiles nor whistle blowing going on there, totally unlike Hector and crew on Reflection. Some restaurant staff we've talked to have been on both ships and asked them which ship they preferred and they said hands down the Reflection, me too. The staff here just don't seem as happy to me, nowhere near as cheerful so far. This morning we went to Tuscan for Elite coffee and left after ten minutes because of no service from the staff who just stood around talking to other more important guests, I suppose. Not a biggie as we have drink pkg so just left and went elsewhere, but still found it a tad annoying. Girls at the Mollie bar are great. We also prefer the newer Sunset bar design on the Reflection. Never had an issue with the lack of space in the Sky bar nor felt the additional pax load really to be of any big deal on the 2 week sailing we did this past Dec on the Reflection. Going out of Ft Lauderdale is also my preference but Miami is not that much of a difference to me. Also sailing Eclipse 14nt next year as well as our old fav the Equinox it's all good to me. Officers are great on both ships too. Some poor lady fell at sail away up in Lawn area so be real careful up there also the grass is very sad looking

Wow we miss Hector! We saw him a few times and were wondering which Martini Bar he was at! We did get good service at the Martini Bar from Sasha, Adrian and Ardess on the Silhouette! Suzanne at the Molecular bar is also great and friendly! What a difference a week makes! We love the lawn grill and wish that the Eclipse and other Solstice class ships had it! We never had morning coffee at the Tuscan grill as we also had the premium drink package and got our fix at Cafe al Bacio. We missed the Champagne high tea- too much food and drink! If you book another cruise on board, do if from Donet at the future cruise dept. She is great and knows the ropes! LOVED our aft Sky Suite! We only went once to the captains club cocktail hour- who needs the "free" drinks and snacks. We do not like the Persian garden- I cannot get my DH to lay down on hot rocks for any period of time- doesn't do it for us- Prefer the hot tub and pool. But to each his own- that is what is so great about a cruise!

My niece and her family and my nephew and his family will be on the Silhouette for the April 13th sailing- I am sure they will love it-

Edited by Cruise a holic

Does the Silhouette have any limes to make the majority of the cocktails at the Martini Bar/Molecular Bar?

Back to the OP's question:

Have cruised both ships many times. Will be doing a B2 B on Reflection later this month. Both ships have wonderful staff and service. Both have the same number of restaurants. My personal preference is Silhouette. Much more public space on Silhouette. Blu far less crowded on Silhouette. Waiters on Reflection often appear rushed. Reflection just took too much public space and turned it into revenue space. That is an important difference for me. In the end it's about personal preference. You'll enjoy either ship.

Been on both. The differences are so minor would choose based on price and itinerary. Despite the extra passengers, Reflection did not feel more crowded. Prefer the Sunset Bar on Reflection, and the larger aft outdoor terrace at the Lido buffet.

IMO the biggest plus of the Reflection over the Silhouette is that the deck above the pool is all on one level, so one can walk from stem to stern without having to go up and down a lot of stairs. Its a great substitute for a 360 degree Promenade deck. :)

Having in on B2B2B's on these beautiful ships we found the following.

1) The Reflection DOES feel more crowded in Blue and the specialty restaurants. Celebrity added 225 passengers and no extra crew.....The reflection is Celebrity's cash cow....and brings in the most onboard spending of any ship in their fleet. We enjoyed the decoration, the crew but not the crowding and poor service reflected in the restaurants. For Newbies or people who are onboard for 7 days.....I am not sure you would notice. We noticed for sure and won't sail the reflection again. 30+ days straight.

2) The Silhouette is the perfect size for us and we find the staff excellent. The ship is in good shape and we enjoy ourselves on board. Restaurants are handled deftly and we make the choice to sail on this ship OR the other Sisters....just not the reflection. 30+ days straight.

Lastly, I recently watched the April transatlantics sell online. The Silhouette was the first ship to be sold out. And the reflection was the last of the Solstice class. It could be that additional 100 cabins OR...it could just be that Celebrity cruisers who cruise often and for long periods KNOW that the reflection is too big for her britches. Number one complaint upon the reflection is Dining based because of no additional staff and more people.....FYI.

Cheers! NYC

Which ship do you prefer, and why?

Last February we were on the Reflection one week and immediately afterwards the Silhouette. The only real difference was that the Reflection (which was very new) looked fresher. The handrail of the balcony on the Silhouette needed to be varnished again as it looked dried out. Little things like that made the Reflection stand out. I do hope Celebrity keeps primping their ships. On other lines we have taken we'd see workmen continuously maintaining the ships. Afterall, sea water is hard on ships.

Edited by usualone
February 2013, not the recent February

There's been some limes available at certain times at different bars but they're in high demand. Yesterday when leaving St Kitts the Indy of the Seas which was docked next to us hit a small boat and hit and overturned a small boat. Both of our ships stayed to put out lifeboats to search for the two men. They were eventually found deceased. It was a very sad moment for pax and crew. We finally left around 8:30. The capt held a moment of silence for all. There were also 4 pax kicked of the ship a few days back, they were all members of a wedding party. Quasar has definitely been a busy place. Also 3 weddings took place within the first two days with many guests. Having a great cruise

• 1 month later...
I booked Silhouette, and at the time, it was getting better reviews than the Reflection. Now, however, the Reflection is getting better reviews than the Silhouette. I suppose everything is cyclical :rolleyes: .

Both ships are great! You cannot go wrong with either! Enjoy your cruise.

Been on both. The differences are so minor would choose based on price and itinerary. Despite the extra passengers, Reflection did not feel more crowded. Prefer the Sunset Bar on Reflection, and the larger aft outdoor terrace at the Lido buffet.

IMO the biggest plus of the Reflection over the Silhouette is that the deck above the pool is all on one level, so one can walk from stem to stern without having to go up and down a lot of stairs. Its a great substitute for a 360 degree Promenade deck. :)

We loved the sunset bar on a Reflection and spent a lot of time there on our recent trip. Would you share what you preferred about it over the one on Silhouette? We are booked on her next spring and have heard it is laid out differently. Any insight appreciated. Thanks.