Leaving cruise early

barrydoll

Whilst this seems like a dumb thing to do, logistically it would make a heap of sense for me to leave a cruise on its third last day when it's in port in Malaga, rather than when it returns to the port of embarkation Barcelona, simply because I want to stay in Malaga after the cruise.

Has anyone done this before? If so, was it organised once on the ship, or before cruising?

This particular cruise is on Norwegian Spirit 6th December for 10 days Barcelona to Barcelona, however I notice it's being sold elsewhere as 4th December for 10 days Malaga to Malaga, so it looks like Malaga is a good port for disembarking anyhow.

I know that's an unusual question, but you guys are the experts!

Cheers,

Cassandra

Whilst this seems like a dumb thing to do, logistically it would make a heap of sense for me to leave a cruise on its third last day when it's in port in Malaga, rather than when it returns to the port of embarkation Barcelona, simply because I want to stay in Malaga after the cruise.

Has anyone done this before? If so, was it organised once on the ship, or before cruising?

This particular cruise is on Norwegian Spirit 6th December for 10 days Barcelona to Barcelona, however I notice it's being sold elsewhere as 4th December for 10 days Malaga to Malaga, so it looks like Malaga is a good port for disembarking anyhow.

I know that's an unusual question, but you guys are the experts!

Cheers,

Cassandra

Have you thought of taking a train from Barcelona to Malaga after the cruise? It would be a great opportunity to see the Spanish countryside! Spain is such a beautiful place, and why pay for the extra nights on the cruise, and not have fun on the cruise?

Have you thought of taking a train from Barcelona to Malaga after the cruise? It would be a great opportunity to see the Spanish countryside! Spain is such a beautiful place, and why pay for the extra nights on the cruise, and not have fun on the cruise?

Yes we had thought of that, but we'd only miss one sea day on ship, and the train takes around 6.5 hours not to mention we may have to wait hours after disembarkation before we could catch the train. We will have already stayed in Barcelona before the cruise, so further exploration of that city especially with our luggage doesn't interest us.

You just contact NCL before your cruise to let them know, and then they will contact port authorities in Malaga so they know that you will be disembarking there. You still have to pay for the entire cruise though - but you probably know that.... :)

Edited by TrumpyNOR

You must arrange it with ncl and not just get off, they are fined for people disembarking without authority and can pass you the charge and it will be more than you paid for the cruise.

Ncl will happily make the arrangements as they can resell your cabin from malaga

I am thinking the same. i am thinking of getting off in Dubrovnik, missing a sea day and disembark Venice. Just because I have been to Venice twice and would like to explore Croatia. I contacted my ta, he said you can do this, just be sure cause they have to do the paperwork and you definitely have to disembark. So im waiting and going to think about it. You guys are right,you have to pay for the full cruise.

I wasn't planning on jumping ship! I just didn't know if it was possible to arrange this after you've booked the cruise, which we have. So, thanks for your responses, it's great to know it can be organised. I'll certainly contact NCL. DaisyDuke, yes they may well have this cruise, but I didn't see it.

You must arrange it with ncl and not just get off, they are fined for people disembarking without authority and can pass you the charge and it will be more than you paid for the cruise.

Ncl will happily make the arrangements as they can resell your cabin from malaga

I don't think NCL get fined for people disembarking early in Europe. They do in the US because the US have a law (jonesAct). Europe don't have this law so it's fine to disembark early. Just let guest services know. We had a friend who disembarked after7 days as that was all the time he could get off work. He just went down the night before to inform the crew he would be getting off the next day-Med cruise on the Jade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Does anyone know how the Jones ct works for Alaska cruises? On our May sailing, we are in port in Victoria on our last nigh until 9pm. After the cruise we are visiting friends on nearby San Juan Island. We would save probably $1000 and a whole day of travel if we could just stay off in Victoria...

Robin

Does anyone know how the Jones ct works for Alaska cruises? On our May sailing, we are in port in Victoria on our last nigh until 9pm. After the cruise we are visiting friends on nearby San Juan Island. We would save probably $1000 and a whole day of travel if we could just stay off in Victoria...

Robin

Robin:

Since you want to disembark in Canada, there's no PVSA violation. (The Passenger Vessel Services Act regulates the transportation of people. The Jones Act regulates cargo transportation.) The PVSA prohibits a foreign-flagged ship from transporting passengers from one US port to a different US port unless a port call is made at what is known as a distant foreign port.

What you would need is advance approval from NCL, because they would have get permission from Canadian authorities for you to disembark in Victoria, and they would have to clear you through customs and immigration at that port.

Robin:

Since you want to disembark in Canada, there's no PVSA violation. (The Passenger Vessel Services Act regulates the transportation of people. The Jones Act regulates cargo transportation.) The PVSA prohibits a foreign-flagged ship from transporting passengers from one US port to a different US port unless a port call is made at what is known as a distant foreign port.

What you would need is advance approval from NCL, because they would have get permission from Canadian authorities for you to disembark in Victoria, and they would have to clear you through customs and immigration at that port.

Thanks! I'll look into it!

Robin

Yes we had thought of that, but we'd only miss one sea day on ship, and the train takes around 6.5 hours not to mention we may have to wait hours after disembarkation before we could catch the train.
There are also direct flights, for example with the low-cost carrier Vueling. It's about an hour and a half and the prices can be as low as 30 or 40 euros one-way.

I love sea days, so I would hate to miss one, not to mention you'd be paying for 10 nights on board and only using 8 of them!

Since it has been brought up. If a cruiseline can fine you for disembarking the ship at a previous port, do they fine passengers who miss the ship when they are late returning and miss the ship?

The cruise line gets fined by Customs and Border Protection for a PVSA violation, but contractually the cruise line can pass that fine, or any other fine that may be imposed down to you for causing the fine to be levied.

Robin

It is the Passenger's Service Act, not the Jones Act.

Yes you can get off in Victoria. Every round trip Seattle sailing I've been on there has always been people staying in Victoria, getting off the ship with all their luggage. Easy to get back to Seattle on the Victoria Clipper.

The cruise line gets fined by Customs and Border Protection for a PVSA violation, but contractually the cruise line can pass that fine, or any other fine that may be imposed down to you for causing the fine to be levied.

So it is possible. I don't ever plan to be late, but the prospect of a fine on top of all the other inconvieniences make me want to back to the ship with at least a couple hours to spare. Be at least within a few minute walk from the gangway anyhow.

There are also direct flights, for example with the low-cost carrier Vueling. It's about an hour and a half and the prices can be as low as 30 or 40 euros one-way.

I love sea days, so I would hate to miss one, not to mention you'd be paying for 10 nights on board and only using 8 of them!

When I cruised Barcelona-Barcelona in January I had to leave the ship at Malaga as I was unwell and sought medical attention on land. The hospital said I had to be admitted and my sister went back to the Spirit to pack our stuff and sort things out with them. The ship staff were wonderful and a great help to her.

I had not heard of Vueling but we got a flight for my sister from Malaga to Cardiff for £100.26 no extra charges for anything. She said they seemed pretty good.

I don't believe those same rules apply to European cruises. I'm only familiar with the passenger vessel service act which is a US law applicable to foreign flagged vessels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cruise line has the option to not pass the PVSA fine on to the passenger. We are currently working with the cruise line to waive the PVSA fine they informed us we would be charged. It is a lot of paperwork and documentation. The fine is $300 per passenger. Based on the reasons discussed here if occurred at a US port would result in the fine being passed on the the passenger.

The cruise line has the option to not pass the PVSA fine on to the passenger. We are currently working with the cruise line to waive the PVSA fine they informed us we would be charged. It is a lot of paperwork and documentation. The fine is $300 per passenger. Based on the reasons discussed here if occurred at a US port would result in the fine being passed on the the passenger.

That's why I said the cruise can pass the fine down to the passenger. I didn't say they're required to.

The fine is imposed by the government on the cruise line. The passenger ticket contract permits the cruise line to pass that fine down to the passenger. The cruise line could opt to not charge the passenger and just pay the fine themselves, or they can apply to have the fine waived.

Edited by njhorseman

This is what I would consider doing.

As others have said, yes, you can disembark early. Just be sure to arrange it with the cruise line in advance.

We did this on an Asia cruise. Disembarked early in Shanghai, and took a land tour of China instead of two sea days at the end of the cruise.