Bringing Adult Kids with us - Questions

Hope someone can help with questions.

We are bringing our adult children with us on our next cruise (Daughter, Son and Son's Girlfriend). They are between 28 and 31 years old and the first cruise for all of them.

Daughter will stay in our room and Son and girlfriend are next door.

We are Platinum members. It is my understanding that kids have the same status as Parents. Does this include adult children? Must they have the same address?

Any suggestions when bringing adult kids on their first cruise would be helpful?

Thanks,

They are between 28 and 31 years old and the first cruise for all of them... We are Platinum members. It is my understanding that kids have the same status as Parents...

People can enroll in the Crown and Anchor program upon completion of their first cruise, so having said that, your children would not be entitled to your status at this point in time.

I think the kids have to be under 18 & have the same address to get the same C&A benefits, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bringing adults children I don't think is that much different then bringing any adult friends. I'd plan excursions together & try and eat meals together but also have some free time & space.

I think the most important thing is setting up expectations prior to the cruise for example, if you want to do excursions together, then talk about that before the cruise. If you expect to eat dinner together discuss that too. When we went with my MIL she expected us all to go to every activity together & got mad because we didn't want to do 'everything' once that got settled then the rest of the trip was better. So again talk about things like that before the trip.

One thing I would do is try & get a nice family picture taken - we always try to do that when we go together

PSU is correct- they must be 18 or younger and living at the same address, but there is a "Refer a friend" benefit that you may want to check out. I think it is $25 OBC for friends that are first time cruisers that you bring along.

...Any suggestions when bringing adult kids on their first cruise would be helpful?
In addition to discussing how much you will do together, make sure you are on the same financial page. Perhaps they are paying for everything themselves, or maybe you are paying for the cabins; who is paying for their tips, who is paying for their bar bill. Not for me to say how it is handled, but just make sure everyone understands - misunderstandings about this is the WRONG answer. If you foot the bar bill, prepared to be shocked:eek:

My step dd was 13 when she cruised with us and my dd was 18. We are doing another family cruise in August, my step dd will be 17 and my dd will be 22. The ,17 yr old will get our platinum status but the 22 yr old will still be Gold because she was also was considered an adult the first time she cruised.

In addition to discussing how much you will do together, make sure you are on the same financial page. Perhaps they are paying for everything themselves, or maybe you are paying for the cabins; who is paying for their tips, who is paying for their bar bill. Not for me to say how it is handled, but just make sure everyone understands - misunderstandings about this is the WRONG answer. If you foot the bar bill, prepared to be shocked:eek:

Good advice

I would rather send my kids (4) on a round the world cruise on the Queen Mary , than pay their bar bills *LOL*

I will second this. We took our daughter and her boyfriend with us last year. We told them up front we will pay for xx but you are responsible for yyy. We did have cabins next door to each other but made sure to knock on both sides!! We discussed excursions and dinner ahead of time and had our joint schedule set before sailing. The rest of the time we let them know what our plans were and if they joined us great, if not that was fine too.

PSU is correct- they must be 18 or younger and living at the same address, but there is a "Refer a friend" benefit that you may want to check out. I think it is $25 OBC for friends that are first time cruisers that you bring along.

Wouldn't that be funny.

If the get a $25 OBC first time cruiser and have Platinum status.

Thanks for all the input. I was pretty sure they wouldn't qualify for our benefits as they are (well) over 18. But, figure it didn't hurt to ask.

We are paying for their cabin and tips as they have been told.

Oh Yes, they have been informed they will pay their own Bar Bill and that they may want to purchase one of the alcohol/beer packages ahead of time.

We are in the very beginning stages of discussing excursions and they are certainly free to do their own thing or join us if they'd like.

The only thing I'm going to request (not demand) is that we all have dinner together as we have late dinner seating so it shouldn't be an issue, but we will discuss ahead of time. We may even treat for a specialty restaurant (using the first time cruisers OBC toward it).

Thanks again for the advice.

OP

This sounds like a very nice trip you are planning with your family. DW and I have been thinking about doing something like thsi with our kids.

We have 4 all over 21.

Of course it gets complicated (and expensive ) when you factor in the BFs and GFs . But we wanted to have one more nice trip before they get married and have kids and then it really gets hard to do.

Hope you all have a wonderful time. :)

Nobody has to be shocked with bar bills anymore. If you like to drink alcohol drinks, wine and/or beer then the Premium Drink Package will let you plan and pay in advance for your bar bill. And it includes bar soda and some bottled water.

Thanks for all the input. I was pretty sure they wouldn't qualify for our benefits as they are (well) over 18. But, figure it didn't hurt to ask.

Oh Yes, they have been informed they will pay their own Bar Bill and that they may want to purchase one of the alcohol/beer packages ahead of time.

Remember, they can be on their own credit card for the cruise. You can do this on the online checkin, and at the pier for check. Solves all issues.

We are in the very beginning stages of discussing excursions and they are certainly free to do their own thing or join us if they'd like.

The only thing I'm going to request (not demand) is that we all have dinner together as we have late dinner seating so it shouldn't be an issue, but we will discuss ahead of time. We may even treat for a specialty restaurant (using the first time cruisers OBC toward it).

We always do this. The rest of the day they can do what they want. Ironically, it is us trying to escape from them!

Have fun!

Sounds like you will have a good family trip. It is good to get that "money thing" figured out up front.

We took our adult kids (late 20's early 30's) on a cruise a few years ago. (son, daughter and her husband of 3 years) We thought we might have dinner together every night, Or at least that was the plan, but our daughter and son-in-law wanted a quiet dinner one evening in 150 Park. Then on another night, the three adult kids went for casual dinner and my husband and I had dinner alone. We had a fun dinners in Samba Grill and in Giovanni's.

We did no excursions as a family. We did one with son while daughter and SIL went off and did something else, three kids did two together and we did end up on the same beach at Labadee.

If was really a great trip.

I hope yours is enjoyable

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Sounds like you will have a good family trip. It is good to get that "money thing" figured out up front.

We took our adult kids (late 20's early 30's) on a cruise a few years ago. (son, daughter and her husband of 3 years) We thought we might have dinner together every night, Or at least that was the plan, but our daughter and son-in-law wanted a quiet dinner one evening in 150 Park. Then on another night, the three adult kids went for casual dinner and my husband and I had dinner alone. We had a fun dinners in Samba Grill and in Giovanni's.

We did no excursions as a family. We did one with son while daughter and SIL went off and did something else, three kids did two together and we did end up on the same beach at Labadee.

If was really a great trip.

I hope yours is enjoyable

enjoy

M

I have absolutely no illusions that all my kids and us will be joined at the hip throughout the whole trip. Even dinner every night together will be a stretch. But it will be fun to be all together.

Here is the info for the Refer A Friend benefit.

Crown & Anchor Society

Q: What is the Bring A Friend promotion for Crown & Anchor Society?

A: We love it when you rave about your amazing cruise experiences with us. Many of you tell us that you talk so much about your exciting adventures; you convince friends and family to come along!

To show our appreciation you can enjoy an exclusive reward when bring your friends along to experience their first Royal Caribbean International® cruise vacation.

Receive $25 to spend onboard for each stateroom your friends reserve on your cruise booked after January 21, 2011*.

There are some rules that apply, such as:

You must register at http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/BringaFriend

We must be able to verify you as a Crown & Anchor Society member so place your full name and Crown & Anchor Society number in your reservation.

Your guest must be sailing on a Royal Caribbean ship for the first time and we can verify full name and date of birth in their reservation. We also need an email address or telephone number available for the guest.

Both you and your guest must of 18 years of age or older.

Unfortunately we can't accept any reservations made with employee or travel agent rates and sailings within a group booking will not be accepted.

We took 11 family members with us on a cruise. I had a little magnetic board on my door for people to leave messages about where and when they would be somewhere. We always had dinner together. I was explicit about paying for their room tips and I bought a wine package (in addition to the cruise itself of course). It worked out pretty well. Usually it's my husband who gets nutted up about togetherness so we had a chat before the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the kids do not have to be under the age of 18 to have the same status, my sister is 20 in a few months she still has my status, so does my mother. She has my status. We all started cruising at the same time (sister was 3) hhowever i have since then gone on cruises without them, although now we all go together.

When we all started going we were all first time cruisers and signed up to C& A together. My older sister as well used to travel with us. Since she moved out and got married now her hubby has her status, but since she left she no longer gets credit for the cruises we take. I think you have to be at the same address to advance in c& a status, and of course a member. My sister did not lose diamond status when she turned 18, and my mother (who i assure u is wayyyy past 18) lol, she has gotten credit for the few trips i have taken without her and my lil sister.

If your adult kids are members AND at the same address then yes they will mimic ur status, if not.. then no

No the kids do not have to be under the age of 18 to have the same status, my sister is 20 in a few months she still has my status, so does my mother. She has my status. We all started cruising at the same time (sister was 3) hhowever i have since then gone on cruises without them, although now we all go together.

When we all started going we were all first time cruisers and signed up to C& A together. My older sister as well used to travel with us. Since she moved out and got married now her hubby has her status, but since she left she no longer gets credit for the cruises we take. I think you have to be at the same address to advance in c& a status, and of course a member. My sister did not lose diamond status when she turned 18, and my mother (who i assure u is wayyyy past 18) lol, she has gotten credit for the few trips i have taken without her and my lil sister.

If your adult kids are members AND at the same address then yes they will mimic ur status, if not.. then no

Kids up to the age of 18 will have the same status as their parents. However, once they turn 18 while they retain the status they had (on their own or from their parents), but they will revert to the number of cruise points they legitimately earned.

As an example if the parents are diamond, but the child has only taken 1 cruise, when they turn 18 they will be diamond with 7 cruise points. They will need to earn on their own the points to get them to D+.

It used to work where as long as the child lived at the same address it all stayed the same but changed a few years ago.

Edited by akcruz

Kids up to the age of 18 will have the same status as their parents. However, once they turn 18 while they retain the status they had (on their own or from their parents), but they will revert to the number of cruise points they legitimately earned.

As an example if the parents are diamond, but the child has only taken 1 cruise, when they turn 18 they will be diamond with 7 cruise points. They will need to earn on their own the points to get them to D+.

It used to work where as long as the child lived at the same address it all stayed the same but changed a few years ago.

my younger sister as i said has 97 cruise points although she has NOT taken that many cruises.. I HAVE. My mother ALSO has 97 points. So although when i go to their cruise history they have NOT sailed on that many cruises to equal those cruise points I have. So they have not only adapted my points but my status.

my younger sister as i said has 97 cruise points although she has NOT taken that many cruises.. I HAVE. My mother ALSO has 97 points. So although when i go to their cruise history they have NOT sailed on that many cruises to equal those cruise points I have. So they have not only adapted my points but my status.

Not to argue with you, but there is something else missing from your story and you may not even realize it. Were the cruises you did alone before they changed over to the new points system? If so, your mother and sister got lucky. I believe when they did the conversion they were using the old rules of all at the same address get the points. Once the points system changed, they didn't go back and take old ones away.

There have been reports on here of those turning 18 and reverting back to fewer points. This is the new rule and if I was you wouldn't say too much because if royal finds out they have given out points where they shouldn't they will (and have) taken them back.

I am sure someone will come along (if they see this) and add their story of kids turning 18 and reverting back to their original points. Its been a controversy more than once on these boards.

I don't know if I'm right or wrong, so I will pose the question for others to answer.

Would there be a benefit if the OP split up their reservations between the kids, putting one Platinum member in the cabin with the son and girlfriend and the other platinum in the cabin with the daughter? Would this then extend, at least for the cruise, platinum status to all in both cabins? Then, just stay where ever they want to? Or does this not work if they aren't even C&A members yet?

Like I said, I could be wrong and so be it if I am. Thinking out loud is all.

Not to argue with you, but there is something else missing from your story and you may not even realize it. Were the cruises you did alone before they changed over to the new points system? If so, your mother and sister got lucky. I believe when they did the conversion they were using the old rules of all at the same address get the points. Once the points system changed, they didn't go back and take old ones away.

There have been reports on here of those turning 18 and reverting back to fewer points. This is the new rule and if I was you wouldn't say too much because if royal finds out they have given out points where they shouldn't they will (and have) taken them back.

I am sure someone will come along (if they see this) and add their story of kids turning 18 and reverting back to their original points. Its been a controversy more than once on these boards.

Akcruz, i didn't look at it as arguing, just a debate among us CC Members, so no worries. And to answer your question.. YES it was before the switch! lol

I don't know if I'm right or wrong, so I will pose the question for others to answer.

Would there be a benefit if the OP split up their reservations between the kids, putting one Platinum member in the cabin with the son and girlfriend and the other platinum in the cabin with the daughter? Would this then extend, at least for the cruise, platinum status to all in both cabins? Then, just stay where ever they want to? Or does this not work if they aren't even C&A members yet?

Like I said, I could be wrong and so be it if I am. Thinking out loud is all.

A cabin mate, even if a family member does not get automatic benefits because they are sharing a cabin with a person of higher C&A status. The status (if any) is printed on the individuals sea pass card.

M