Service Charges on NCL

Shacky316

Again having to address people who keep arguing that it's not discretionary when in fact it is or keep throwing out red herrings... In both the US and the UK, the passenger contracts, which supersede any FAQs, the service charge is discretionary. NCL refers to it as discretionary. The US passenger contract, section on service charges, does not stipulate that it must be adjusted only for service issues nor state any minimum or maximum amount.

I am simply trying to provide the facts about the service charge not the ethics/morality of adjusting it. Some people may not like that it's adjustable but that doesn't change the fact that it is.

NCL US Guest Ticket Contract 2014 (link to contract)

"© Service Charges:

Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge, which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleetwide crew welfare programs."

NCL UK Booking Conditions 2014-2015 (link to booking conditions)

"We are confident that you will enjoy your Freestyle Cruising experience and that our entire crew will provide you with the standard of service for which we are known. A $12 discretionary service charge will be automatically added per guest per day (for guests three years and older) to your shipboard account for all staterooms unless pre-paid as set out below. This charge will be shared among those staff members, including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind-the-scenes staff who provide services that enhance your overall cruise experience. "

Edited by kylenyc

Again having to address people who keep arguing that it's not discretionary when in fact it is or keep throwing out red herrings... In both the US and the UK, the passenger contracts, which supersede any FAQs, the service charge is discretionary. NCL refers to it as discretionary. The US passenger contract, section on service charges, does not stipulate that it must be adjusted only for service issues nor state any minimum or maximum amount.

I am simply trying to provide the facts about the service charge not the ethics/morality of adjusting it. Some people may not like that it's adjustable but that doesn't change the fact that it is.

"© Service Charges:

Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge, which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleetwide crew welfare programs."

"

If it is discretionary in the US, it should read this way.

The charge, which is discretionary, is automatically added to your onboard account.

It boils down to this: IT IS A SERVICE CHARGE. "D" could mean daily, discretionary, doughnut, whatever.

To receive the SERVICE yet remove the SERVICE CHARGE without any SERVICE issues is taking without giving. If someone knows in advance they will remove it, at the very minimum they should own it. All meals should be in the buffet and they should have the balls to look their steward in the face on the first day, refuse their services for the entire week, including new towels. The steward will have to turn over the room when they are finished, but during the cruise they could devote their time to the pax who appreciate them. Clearly anyone who removes the SERVICE CHARGE without issues does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"© Service Charges:

NCL UK Booking Conditions 2014-2015 (link to booking conditions)

"We are confident that you will enjoy your Freestyle Cruising experience and that our entire crew will provide you with the standard of service for which we are known. A $12 discretionary service charge will be automatically added per guest per day (for guests three years and older) to your shipboard account for all staterooms unless pre-paid as set out below. This charge will be shared among those staff members, including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind-the-scenes staff who provide services that enhance your overall cruise experience. "

Does it say "subject to removal at your discretion"? No. Subject to "adjustment". And no where does it is it is a discretionary payment. Again, people's twisting of words to suite their preference or rationalization. :rolleyes:

Does it say "subject to removal at your discretion"? No. Subject to "adjustment". And no where does it is it is a discretionary payment. Again, people's twisting of words to suite their preference or rationalization. :rolleyes:

it is still optional and can be removed at the guests discretion.

Simples....

While I blissfully enjoyed my massage I missed a few "poofed" posts. Thanks to those who had my back. Opinions differ but I would never insult another poster calling their post stupid. Twaddle or otherwise.

I just wonder why those who remove the DSC feel entitled to the same services others pay for and they make a concious effort not too.

I just wonder why those who remove the DSC feel entitled to the same services others pay for and they make a concious effort not too.

Anyone removing the DSC is not avoiding paying for any services, as those are all covered under the cruise fare and/or additional cover charges etc.

The DSC is not a fee for services.

Anyone removing the DSC is not avoiding paying for any services, as those are all covered under the cruise fare and/or additional cover charges etc.

Agree to disagree?

What is it?

Wow, that's a new one. The daily SERVICE CHARGE is not a fee for services? Talk about rationalization.

While I blissfully enjoyed my massage I missed a few "poofed" posts. Thanks to those who had my back. Opinions differ but I would never insult another poster calling their post stupid. Twaddle or otherwise.

No, me neither! And I don't usually involve myself in these kind of discussions either, but I can't abide rudeness, hence my post!

Couldn't agree more!

At the end of the day, isn't it a SERVICE charge? :confused:

Wow, that's a new one. The daily SERVICE CHARGE is not a fee for services? Talk about rationalization.

I did not say that.

I said anyone not paying the DSC is not avoiding paying for services. They are all covered under cruise fare.

The DSC is claimed by many to be the equivalent of a tip for food on land. Or do you claim that is not the same as a tip on land for food?

You can't have it both ways :)

Edited by isdoo

I did not say that.

I said anyone not paying the DSC is not avoiding paying for services. They are all covered under cruise fare.

The DSC is claimed by many to be the equivalent of a tip for food on land. Or do you claim that is not the same as a tip on land for food?

Perhaps you didn't mean to type it, but here it is:

"The DSC is not a fee for services."

I'm not sure what you mean by having it both ways. Let me make my position clear - the DSC is a service charge. I leave it in place and that, for me, covers all the basic services that I receive on the ship. I also tip above and beyond the charging of the DSC for service that I receive that I consider worthy of extra recognition.

It boils down to this: IT IS A SERVICE CHARGE. "D" could mean daily, discretionary, doughnut, whatever.

To receive the SERVICE yet remove the SERVICE CHARGE without any SERVICE issues is taking without giving. If someone knows in advance they will remove it, at the very minimum they should own it. All meals should be in the buffet and they should have the balls to look their steward in the face on the first day, refuse their services for the entire week, including new towels. The steward will have to turn over the room when they are finished, but during the cruise they could devote their time to the pax who appreciate them. Clearly anyone who removes the SERVICE CHARGE without issues does not.

444348432_ThumbsupLike.jpg.08bc786255b728f7c5458881ad634c24.jpg

Harriet

And any second someone will come along and say " the service charge is clearly expected and required unless a passenger has issues that can't be resolved." Kind of like buying a bag of chips with a freshness guarantee. It is mandatory to pay for the chips. But if they do not meet your satisfaction, you can get your money back. This is how I think NCL see's the fee.

PRECISELY. Including the mandatory to pay for them part.

I agree that the service charge is optional. Also, covering your mouth when you sneeze is optional. Actually hitting the toilet when you pee is optional. Not yelling cuss words when you walk in public is optional. Not picking your nose and flinging the output is optional.

My point is just because something may be optional does not justify actions. Tacky is still tacky and cheap is still cheap.

I hadn't thought of some of these things as optional. I'll bear some of these options in mind if I wind up cruising with 1 or 2 posters on this thread. :eek:

Perhaps you didn't mean to type it, but here it is:

"The DSC is not a fee for services."

I'm not sure what you mean by having it both ways. Let me make my position clear - the DSC is a service charge.

My head is spinning.:eek:

What do people think the S in DSC stands for?:confused: I guess now it must be decided exactly what IS service.

I leave it in place and that, for me, covers all the basic services that I receive on the ship. I also tip above and beyond the charging of the DSC for service that I receive that I consider worthy of extra recognition.

Yep, same here and most times I even give the cabin steward extra, whether or not he/she did anything "extra"..... just because.:)

I don't mean to butt in, but you did say that...post 373 (currently)... "The DSC is not a fee for services."

oops! :D

The problem is the name IMHO.

Do you not think the DSC is a tip?

A tip is not payment for services.

I'm still adjusting the fee when I want, how much I want, and the direction i want without consulting any of your prior to doing so. If you don't like it I really could not care less. In fact on my next cruise I am going to change my adjustment just to spite all of you and if they ask me why I am going to tell them to read this thread. Yes I am 100% serious.

To be fair, you didn't say up or down...:D

oops! :D

The problem is the name IMHO.

Do you not think the DSC is a tip?

A tip is not payment for services.

No, I do not think the DSC is a tip. If it was a tip, it would be called a tip.

In fact, it's a service charge, which is why it's called a service charge.

English...who would have thunk?

The DSC provides the 'fair wage' that so many want to see the crew receive, rendering old-fashioned 'tipping' obsolete.

Stephen

I did not say that.

The service charge represents the income for the person providing the service to you so if it is removed you are receiving their services for nothing and you are avoiding paying for their services.

The service charge represents the income for the person providing the service to you so if it is removed you are receiving their services for nothing and you are avoiding paying for their services.

But an employees salary has nothing to do with you or I.

That is the role of their employer.

People here say it is not equal to a tip, yet people also say a tip is there as part of the salary.

Some people want it both ways.

As I said earlier, just pay the DSC and be done with it.