HAL vs Celebrity

mcrcruiser

We have cruised on a awful lot of ships ranging from the large Voyager Class vessels (this would include the Mariner of the Seas) to small cruise ships with fewer then 300 passengers to a boat with only 20 passengers. Personally, having experienced all types of ships from 14 different cruise lines we prefer smaller vessels (fewer then 800 passengers). As to "amenities" we just have no desire to be on a floating Carnival! We are not impressed with things like "rock climbing walls," water slides, flow riders, etc. I say all this to point out that different folks are attracted to different things on cruise ships, and the various cruise lines try to design products to please all tastes.

As to this cruise line "loyalty" thing we see here on CC....it just makes us smile. When we meet a cruiser (and we still spend over 70 days a year cruising) who tells us they are "bored" or "getting tired of cruising" we usually will also hear that they only like to cruise on one (or sometimes two) cruise lines. They are "loyal" to a line, that line now bores them, but yet they will not try other lines. Go figure. DW and I have spent years on cruise ships, but because we are constantly changing cruise lines, ships, and itineraries, we never get bored or tired of cruises. As an example, this year we have 3 cruises currently booked (totaling 77 days) on 3 different lines (Princess, HAL, and Celebrity). One of those cruises is a long TA/Europe cruise, another is a Transpacific/Australian,NZ cruise and the 3rd is a more typical Caribbean cruise. Because of all the variety (different menus, different entertainment, etc) each cruise is a new adventure.

As to this cruise line "loyalty" thing we see here on CC....it just makes us smile. When we meet a cruiser (and we still spend over 70 days a year cruising) who tells us they are "bored" or "getting tired of cruising" we usually will also hear that they only like to cruise on one (or sometimes two) cruise lines. They are "loyal" to a line, that line now bores them, but yet they will not try other lines. Go figure.

I think that you make a lot of sense. We've only been on 11 cruises but we've been on most of the mass market cruise lines that sail the Caribbean. We really enjoying switching lines because each one has something slightly different to offer and so far we haven't been bored.

Regarding the OP topic, I've only sailed on the Zuiderdam with HAL but the ship had plenty for us to do. But I admit that many of the lounges that had great entertainment in the evenings were a bit empty. Seems the passengers must be retiring early for the night.

Before Zuiderdam, I had felt that our cruise on the Celebrity Milennium had been the best to date but we are concerned about its transformation, having removed public spaces for paid venues and adding more staterooms, which increases the passenger density. I guess we'll have to travel Celebrity again to see if this really is a concern.

I think that you make a lot of sense. We've only been on 11 cruises but we've been on most of the mass market cruise lines that sail the Caribbean. We really enjoying switching lines because each one has something slightly different to offer and so far we haven't been bored.

Regarding the OP topic, I've only sailed on the Zuiderdam with HAL but the ship had plenty for us to do. But I admit that many of the lounges that had great entertainment in the evenings were a bit empty. Seems the passengers must be retiring early for the night.

Before Zuiderdam, I had felt that our cruise on the Celebrity Milennium had been the best to date but we are concerned about its transformation, having removed public spaces for paid venues and adding more staterooms, which increases the passenger density. I guess we'll have to travel Celebrity again to see if this really is a concern.

This is a breath of fresh air in here, I guess Holland America passengers aren't as tightly wound up over cruise loyalty as some of the other cruise threads. People can be vicious in their devotion, resentful to criticism, or weary of change they don't like. Just posting your type of comment can get you some heat.

I am going to treat cruise line like a restaurant. Maybe you have a favorite diner, let's you go there 75% of the time, but odds are you aren't going to treat it like a cult. Someone doesn't like the dinner salads, that's ok, there's probably things on the menu you don't like yourself. Who would say, "I'm bored of the food at Olive Garden, but no way am I going to eat anywhere else"?

Good to know about the Millennium, we'll be sailing in 4.5 months! I won't have anything to compare, but we had a great time on the Navigator with a similar "upgrade".

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

The answer is definitely not the Signature class ships as much of their open sundecks are filled in with new staterooms and private cabanas. Verify it for yourself on this link to the Eurodam deck map (see decks 10 and 11):

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=ed_2&deck=r&deep=0

It is true that previous open deck space aft of the Crow's Nest on the Noordam has been filled in with new staterooms, but the other three Vista-class ships are still OK in this regard:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=os_2&deck=o&deep=0

I am curious as to why you singled out the Noordam rather than referencing the other three Vista-class ships. You have a way of carefully selecting bits of information to support you claims.

The biggest fallacy of your argument is that the Signature class ship sun decks are the most crowded of all HAL ships. Bigger is not better if there are not enough free deck chairs for all passengers. The fact is that the older R and S class HAL ships have the most serene sun decks.

igraf

Noordam has proper theater but does not have Tamarind & Silk Den Lounge & vast serene sun deck....

What ships have all mentioned above? :)

Edited by igraf

Altho we prefer X and Princess, we have chosen the Ryndam to do a port intensive cruise around Spain. We will be off the ship all but two days. So I think we will be happy as this ship will be our transportation, more than source of entertainment.

We have cruised enough that we make that decision first....are we looking for an interesting itinerary that keeps us going every day or a resort experience? On a slow R&R Caribbean cruise, we are using the ship as the resort as we have visited the islands many times.

Sorry, but a port-intensive cruise around Spain will not be as good as a road trip around Spain!

Easier, yes, but not as good.

I last cruised on Celebrity Equinox 14 days in Europe. Beautiful ship and excellent service. Don't really think there could be a better ship anywhere although I am not an experienced cruiser. With only 3 days at sea out of 10, our upcoming cruise on HAL Veendam, should be very good. I don't really expect to be entertained all of the time on the ship. We are up early and out all day in the ports seeing and doing. When we return we are somewhat tired and look forward to a nice dinner and maybe an hour at the piano bar and then it's bed time. During the days at sea we take advantage of the whatever the ship has to offer like the shows in the Showroom, informational lectures, and listening to nice music in one of the lounges. We are never looking to be entertained. That is probably why we never have considered Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

Sorry, but a port-intensive cruise around Spain will not be as good as a road trip around Spain!

Easier, yes, but not as good.

Here here! We love cruising and do more then our share in Europe. But the only way to really see (and experience) Europe (or most other places) is on land. And when it comes to Spain, one has only to look at the map. There is an awful lot to that country that is not accessible from a cruise ship :).

Hank