How much for a taxi to coki beach?

james'mommy

• 2 weeks later...

Negotiate. Tell them you want to use them round trip. One of the locals will call them to take you back. No more than 15 round trip would be my deal. Don't pay till the end either. I negotiated 15 dollars round trip for a tour there. It included 2 hours at Coki beach.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They will offer deals for tours and may negotiate for rides but for the rates are generally fixed. We have found a driver who worked with his cousin at Coki and offered a deal because he had only us but most are running several ppl at a time for the same rate.

The rates are fixed to level the field. The government doesn't want taxi drivers fighting over customers by creating price wars. The rates are published and any licensed driver quoting other rates is subject to disciplinary action.

Drivers have some flexibility on private tour pricing and on locations not specified on the rate sheet.

The rates are fixed to level the field. The government doesn't want taxi drivers fighting over customers by creating price wars. The rates are published and any licensed driver quoting other rates is subject to disciplinary action.

Drivers have some flexibility on private tour pricing and on locations not specified on the rate sheet.

Believe me you can negotiate. Do it all the time. And yes they do fight over it. Walk away and say it's too much and someone nearby will do it cheaper.

Yes when they are looking for fares they can negotiate in different situations. But you have to be careful as many are unlicensed which means YOU are not insured. To save a few $$ with that risk is stupid in my mind...

Edited by blue_water

Hey blue water I'm not insured when I use a taxi cab in the USA. Why the hell would I worry about being insured in a foreign country? I'm not trying to argue with you , but instead trying to inform others to negotiate. You ever been to a flea market? You do the same thing there. If you want to pay the price someone tells you then so be it. I'm telling you that I walked around outside the gate and told them what I wanted and they told me how much. I walked away and went to another person and they offered a different price. Then they waited for more people. Those people were told even less of a price. So come time I paid what those people offered and that was that. If you want to pay more then so be it. Insurance or not. They are cabs that will give guided tours. Would you prefer to pay the cruise line who pockets more and pays the tour people less? I'd rather cut the middle man out. I did it in the Dominican Republic which is a poor country. I'm still here, so obviously it's safe to do so. A local tried selling me a 5 dollar piece of costume jewelry for 75 bucks. I told him too much. I ended up paying 15 for it instead. But if I didn't negotiate the guy wouldn't have gotten a dime. Unless you pay full price for it. ImageUploadedByForums1397851031.883983.jpg.44bd186e207711cd30b067c56ec9ad8f.jpg

There's a pic of who gave us the tour. St Thomas.

Hey blue water I'm not insured when I use a taxi cab in the USA. Why the hell would I worry about being insured in a foreign country? I'm not trying to argue with you , but instead trying to inform others to negotiate. You ever been to a flea market? You do the same thing there. If you want to pay the price someone tells you then so be it. I'm telling you that I walked around outside the gate and told them what I wanted and they told me how much. I walked away and went to another person and they offered a different price. Then they waited for more people. Those people were told even less of a price. So come time I paid what those people offered and that was that. If you want to pay more then so be it. Insurance or not. They are cabs that will give guided tours. Would you prefer to pay the cruise line who pockets more and pays the tour people less? I'd rather cut the middle man out. I did it in the Dominican Republic which is a poor country. I'm still here, so obviously it's safe to do so. A local tried selling me a 5 dollar piece of costume jewelry for 75 bucks. I told him too much. I ended up paying 15 for it instead. But if I didn't negotiate the guy wouldn't have gotten a dime. Unless you pay full price for it. [ATTACH]309913[/ATTACH]

There's a pic of who gave us the tour. St Thomas.

I didn't read past your first sentence but yes you are covered by licensed and insured taxis anywhere. We do try to help folks here make informed decisions, there are licensed and unlicensed drivers you can choose from, your choice man, that's all I'm sayin'. You can negotiate in some situations and it's worth a shot, just don't get upset if it doesn't work out...

Happy Easter!

Edited by blue_water

• 1 year later...

Their license plate will say "taxi". They should also have ID and fare rate sheet in their vehicle. There are drivers who negotiate island tours, but for point-to- point trips, there is a set rate. There are gypsy taxis who do not have taxi license plates and you should beware of them.

• 2 weeks later...
You'll be docked at Havensight and the taxi fare will be $8 - 10pp each way for 2 or more.

So for a family of 4, we should expect to spend $80 for a taxi there and back??? Yikes, that's pricey :eek: