Watch your onboard account

senorjim

Just finished a 28 day Asia cruise on Volendam. Requested a print out several times during the cruise and found errors about 6 times. Mostly other peoples drinks being charged to my card a few transactions from my actual purchase. Also double billed for Pinnacle Grill dinner once.

A visit to the front desk each time had them corrected.

Unfortunately there may be those who never check their account.

You no longer need to sign for beverage purchases and I do believe the charges are honest mistakes as the servers have several cards on their trays during busy times and may swipe the wrong one in error.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I check our bill about every other day. Quite often there are small errors of that nature. I assume with that many people making all those charges it isn't unusual for there to be errors.

I have never had a problem getting an error corrected. I think it is silly to wait until the last day and spend it in that long, horrible line at the front desk.

We always check our bill every so many days. Mistakes do happen. On NCL years ago, we had a waiter in the show lounge turning in charges for TWO drinks, for every one ordered!

One of the nice aspects on Princess is that there are kiosks where you can swipe your keycard to manage your shipboard account. Wish HAL would do the same!!

One of the nice aspects on Princess is that there are kiosks where you can swipe your keycard to manage your shipboard account. Wish HAL would do the same!!

Seems like I heard a rumor that the new Pinnacle class ship will have an intranet (not internet) system for people to access their accounts and look at menus and schedules etc using smart phones or tablets/laptops. If that's the case then anyone could most likely access the system from the Explorations Cafe computers as well.

However, IIRC BruceMuzz has said that studies have shown that on-board spending goes down when people can look at their mounting bill very easily, so HAL may continue to be low-tech as long as possible. :(

I check our bill about every other day. Quite often there are small errors of that nature. I assume with that many people making all those charges it isn't unusual for there to be errors.

I have never had a problem getting an error corrected. I think it is silly to wait until the last day and spend it in that long, horrible line at the front desk.

We have had problems getting bar bills reversed. We've had our own drinks charged at, say, 5:02 pm and then some else's at 5:04 pm and we had a hard time convincing the Front Desk that this was an error. The issue dragged on for 2 days: they had to get the Bev or Bar manager to OK the reversal.

We don''t like the hassle and time wasted dealing with this type of thing. When HAL had pax sign, it was very clear cut and easy to deal with.

We have learned to watch onboard spending accounts daily, especially since we became 4star and get that complimentary wine tasting. That's great, but we don't drink wine and never go to the tasting. But they always charge us for it, and sometimes take it off the bill. The first time it happened, the front desk refused to deal with the issue, and we had to take the problem to the hotel manager. Needless to say, they suddenly decided to take it off our bill.

I like the new card system. I don't think we have had a problem since.

We have had problems getting bar bills reversed. We've had our own drinks charged at, say, 5:02 pm and then some else's at 5:04 pm and we had a hard time convincing the Front Desk that this was an error. The issue dragged on for 2 days: they had to get the Bev or Bar manager to OK the reversal.

We don''t like the hassle and time wasted dealing with this type of thing. When HAL had pax sign, it was very clear cut and easy to deal with.

On a recent cruise when I looked at my receipt it had a different name on it. I pointed it out the the bartender, who then reversed the previous charge and ran my card again. The card reader was having trouble reading my card, and when it couldn't it processed the order to the previous card used (whose holder was sitting right next to me).

We've had this problem as well and one time HAL refused to take off the charge that wasn't ours. I let it pass but wasn't happy. Basically, we do not go to the bars when there are a lot of people as they are juggling a lot of cards at once.

Also last day minibar charges appear on the credit card, separately as they don't check until after you leave on the last day in some cases.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

We've had this problem as well and one time HAL refused to take off the charge that wasn't ours. I let it pass but wasn't happy. Basically, we do not go to the bars when there are a lot of people as they are juggling a lot of cards at once.

Also last day minibar charges appear on the credit card, separately as they don't check until after you leave on the last day in some cases.

This is good advice: don't go to bars when they are really busy. We've thought this might be the thing to do, as the problem I outlined occured early during Happy Hour. Nevertheless, we have seen the bar waiters standing around once they have a order waiting for another before they go and process them.

We have learned to watch onboard spending accounts daily, especially since we became 4star and get that complimentary wine tasting. That's great, but we don't drink wine and never go to the tasting. But they always charge us for it, and sometimes take it off the bill. The first time it happened, the front desk refused to deal with the issue, and we had to take the problem to the hotel manager. Needless to say, they suddenly decided to take it off our bill.

I like the new card system. I don't think we have had a problem since.

This is appalling. Why wouldn't the Front Office deal with this? That's what they are there for.

How did you get to see the HM? They can be quite elusive!

HAL always charges, then credits the Wine Tasting for 4/5 stars. Your case is a double mistake because they should have automatically credited the charge, and then they refused to. Amazing!

This is appalling. Why wouldn't the Front Office deal with this? That's what they are there for.

How did you get to see the HM? They can be quite elusive!

We caught the hotel manager in a chance meeting in a hallway after going to the front desk three days in a row and receiving evasive answers. After we spoke to the Hotel Manager, the "resolved message" and profuse apology was already on the phone by the time we got back to the stateroom.

Can you not get your own drink from the bar and avoid the whole multiple cards on a tray thing?
You can, but few people want to do that. Also, mistakes can happen even when you're sitting at the bar, as shown by richwmn's comment in post #7: " it processed the order to the previous card used (whose holder was sitting right next to me). "

We did a 21 day Noordam Caribbean cruise and HAL immediately charged my credit card in excess of 2500 dollars. Only found out because have alerts set up by AMEX for large charges. Imagine my surprise when checking my email in DR and finding this. Immediately went to the Pursers desk and said what the heck. First person seemed clueless, no we didn't I show them the alert on my IPAD and say yeah you did, no help. I go back later and the guy says yes we can do that see it says so right here on this piece of paper. I said yes I know you can but I have never had my card charged like this and I don't see it as a credit on my account. At this point I decided that I would see what was up at the end and what was on my AMEX bill. By the time we returned after the first leg of the trip the charge was removed from my credit card. Was not happy and will watch them very closely in the future.

We did a 21 day Noordam Caribbean cruise and HAL immediately charged my credit card in excess of 2500 dollars. Only found out because have alerts set up by AMEX for large charges. Imagine my surprise when checking my email in DR and finding this. Immediately went to the Pursers desk and said what the heck. First person seemed clueless, no we didn't I show them the alert on my IPAD and say yeah you did, no help. I go back later and the guy says yes we can do that see it says so right here on this piece of paper. I said yes I know you can but I have never had my card charged like this and I don't see it as a credit on my account. At this point I decided that I would see what was up at the end and what was on my AMEX bill. By the time we returned after the first leg of the trip the charge was removed from my credit card. Was not happy and will watch them very closely in the future.

Did HAL actually charge your card ... or did they put a $2500 HOLD on your card? The $60/person/day hold has been in effect for some years ... and is explained on HAL's website and at the time you do your e-checkin.

We did a 21 day Noordam Caribbean cruise and HAL immediately charged my credit card in excess of 2500 dollars.
Are you talking about the $60/person/day hold that is placed at embarkation? 21x60x2 = 2520, so it sounds like this is what you are referring to. It is NOT a charge - it is HAL reserving a portion of your credit limit to insure that you will not overspend off the ship and not have enough credit left to pay your on-board account. It is essentially a temporary lowering of your credit limit off the ship. I understand that AMEX does not have pre-set limits, but HAL makes no distinction between cards, and places the hold on all.

All cruise lines, hotels, car rental agencies, etc place such holds.

pms4104 - you typed faster! :)

Edited by jtl513

Did HAL actually charge your card ... or did they put a $2500 HOLD on your card? The $60/person/day hold has been in effect for some years ... and is explained on HAL's website and at the time you do your e-checkin.

I think you called it. Of course lines put a hold on the amount they reasonably expect will be run up over the course of the cruise. The last think they want to have happen is for a credit limit to prevent their putting a charge through. They won't be able to keep the passenger on board.

I have noted small errors a couple of ties - once in my favor. It would be good if you check running totals on line.