How chaotic are Galveston ports

shesha01

We put a deposit down for a cruise out of Galveston, Texas. We would fly into George Bush International Airport at 12:10PM for a 4:30 Sunday departure. I've been told Houston roads getting to port are less than desirable but want to know from those that have done it if getting to the ship on time would seem very doable. I figure it would take about and hour to get off the plane and retrieve luggage so would be in the town car by about 1PM. Anyone have any thoughts about making this work? Thanks.

You will probably be leaving the airport closer to 1:30 if you've checked bags, then depending on traffic it's going to be over an hour to get to the pier.

It's 70 miles from the airport to Galveston on a really busy 8 lane highway. You would have a shorter journey if you flew into Houston Hobby.

We put a deposit down for a cruise out of Galveston, Texas. We would fly into George Bush International Airport at 12:10PM for a 4:30 Sunday departure. I've been told Houston roads getting to port are less than desirable but want to know from those that have done it if getting to the ship on time would seem very doable. I figure it would take about and hour to get off the plane and retrieve luggage so would be in the town car by about 1PM. Anyone have any thoughts about making this work? Thanks.

pushing it WAAAYYYYY too close. it's easily an hour minimum to get there. you have to be ON BOARD 90 minutes prior to departure.

even a small delay getting in can push you too close to that cut off between picking up luggage, getting on the road and beating traffic.

pushing it WAAAYYYYY too close. it's easily an hour minimum to get there. you have to be ON BOARD 90 minutes prior to departure.

even a small delay getting in can push you too close to that cut off between picking up luggage, getting on the road and beating traffic.

Can you fly in the day before? The uncertainty of Houston traffic makes your current suggestion iffy. Most hotels in Galveston have shuttle service to the port, so you could have a nice dinner out the night before and then take a short relaxed morning before boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I live in the Denver area and the roads here are pretty good so to get 70 miles would be no problem in the time allowed. But based on many responses it sounds like Houston is very iffy and I sure don't want to miss my ship due to delays. Such a bummer as flying in a day earlier will add about $250 to the cost. Piece of mind in knowing that I'm not cutting it too close may be worth it though.

Living in Houston, I have to say that is cutting it too close! Yes, perhaps if all conditions were perfect it would be doable, but there are lots of car accidents in this city. Besides, if there's bad weather anywhere your flight could be delayed. I would come to Houston the day before and get a hotel down close to Galveston. I believe someone suggested checking out the Gulf Coast forum, and I agree...there should be lots of good information there.

I would suggest flying in the day before (fly into Hobby if you can, it's much closer than Bush!) Then get a hotel in Galveston. My favorite hotel is the Treemont. It's literally across the street from the cruise port!! Can relax the morning away and then walk over to the port -- I guess you could call a taxi if you have a bunch of luggage; but by the time the taxi got there, you could have already walked over there.