Jost Van Dyke

blanger001

The ferry from Red Hook leaves at 8AM so you'll need another way to get there like Dolphin water taxi or a private charter. But you could take the 4PM return ferry ($50pp one-way + departure fee, the ferry schedule is listed on the vinow dot com site). You'll stop in Cruz Bay, STJ to clear customs before returning to Red Hook but should have plenty of time to get back. Or the shuttle may be a better option.

And if you check with operators listed at vinow many of those will take you and pick you up. Someone else here may have a name or try the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor.

http://www.dolphinshuttle.com/

Edited by blue_water

We are cruising on the Allure to St. Thomas on May 28, and are thinking about going over to Jost Van Dyke. We are in port from 10:00 - 7:00pm. Has anyone made this trip? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

We looked at dolphin water taxi, but decided to use velocity boat rentals last week. It was a great trip, Vance is very helpful. The total cost was $720, and we split it 11 ways so it was affordable. To find other people to join us, I posted details on the tread for our exact sailing and soon 4 couple joined us.

Yes Jost is a popular spot and it should be easy to find others interested in sharing the cost. Posting that on your roll call forum is a great idea if you don't mind company.

Mg, I see Vilocity opened in 2012 and is located just to the east of Havensight. Did they have a captain and crew or just a captain? Did they charge extra for customs or a BVI entry and departure fee? How was the boat ride there and back? Was it a motorboat?

Edited by blue_water

I've spent about 4 weeks on JVD over the last few years. (My wife and I have gone numerous times as a destination.) I can't comment on the ride over as we typically go from West End (Tortola) over and there is a regular ferry between the two.

To me, White Bay is the most beautiful beach in the Western Hemisphere. I would not miss a chance to go there.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't waste any time in Great Harbour. It's great to stop at Foxy's, etc, but White Bay and Soggy Dollar is where the daytime action is at. Great Harbour doesn't come alive until evenings and particularly weekends. Great Harbour is also not a good beach.

Regular taxis (~$5USD) from Great Harbour to White Bay.

At White Bay, don't spend all your time at Soggy Dollar. Don't get me wrong, SDB is amazing and I spent 75% of my time there (I favor the Nilla Killa a bit too much) but don't forget to try out One Love just down the beach. It's typically a lot less crowded, has a lot of really great drinks and a very good menu (when the grill is open).

I've spent about 4 weeks on JVD over the last few years. (My wife and I have gone numerous times as a destination.) I can't comment on the ride over as we typically go from West End (Tortola) over and there is a regular ferry between the two.

To me, White Bay is the most beautiful beach in the Western Hemisphere. I would not miss a chance to go there.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't waste any time in Great Harbour. It's great to stop at Foxy's, etc, but White Bay and Soggy Dollar is where the daytime action is at. Great Harbour doesn't come alive until evenings and particularly weekends. Great Harbour is also not a good beach.

Regular taxis (~$5USD) from Great Harbour to White Bay.

At White Bay, don't spend all your time at Soggy Dollar. Don't get me wrong, SDB is amazing and I spent 75% of my time there (I favor the Nilla Killa a bit too much) but don't forget to try out One Love just down the beach. It's typically a lot less crowded, has a lot of really great drinks and a very good menu (when the grill is open).

Unfortunately White Bay has become a major party spot and we avoid it on weekends especially. Nice beach and a fun spot but party central anymore and that's too bad. We Like Seddy's One Love Bar and we like his bushwacker better than the Soggy $ painkiller but just a matter of taste. He performs card and magic tricks and will entertain you if he's there.

But if it's too crazy do have them drop you at Foxy's and check out Great Harbor. The nice thing about going by private boat is they can drop you and pick you up where and when you want within reason.

Great Harbor is a great spot to relax and enjoy Foxy when WB is too nuts.

Edited by blue_water

Yes Jost is a popular spot and it should be easy to find others interested in sharing the cost. Posting that on your roll call forum is a great idea if you don't mind company.

Mg, I see Vilocity opened in 2012 and is located just to the east of Havensight. Did they have a captain and crew or just a captain? Did they charge extra for customs or a BVI entry and departure fee? How was the boat ride there and back? Was it a motorboat?

It's a center console powerboat, with just a captain. It's a short ride to the most beautiful beach!

Unfortunately White Bay has become a major party spot and we avoid it on weekends especially. Nice beach and a fun spot but party central anymore and that's too bad. We Like Seddy's One Love Bar and we like his bushwacker better than the Soggy $ painkiller but just a matter of taste. He performs card and magic tricks and will entertain you if he's there.

But if it's too crazy do have them drop you at Foxy's and check out Great Harbor. The nice thing about going by private boat is they can drop you and pick you up where and when you want within reason.

Great Harbor is a great spot to relax and enjoy Foxy when WB is too nuts.

My experiences with Jost have been completely different. Then again, I always went during June/July which are definetely slower months.

My experiences with Jost have been completely different. Then again, I always went during June/July which are definetely slower months.

We'd water taxi over while staying on Tortola in May and WB would be busier than years past. But daytrippers come and go in waves too, and 1 or 2 large cats full can make a difference.